BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Well I searched and yes there are threads on how to remove the tank but
I do not see anything straight forward like a diagram
anyone have diagram or instructions ?
how to replace the battery :)

just purchased a maintenance free scorpion similar to the Yuasa big boy
but now my old battery is doing better than before and I do not think it wants me to replace it ?

where are the tank bolts :)

· Registered
155 Posts
There are two bolts on either side just under the front of the tank. I've only lifted the front mine to get access to the electrical stuff underneath. I believe all you need to do once the bolts are out is disconnect the fuel lines and level sensor. Put a short wood block under the front while you access the lines. Then the tank should come out easily, lifting from the front and pulling the rear from the rubber mount.

· Registered
62 Posts
0. Remove as much fuel from the tank to lighten the weight for removal

1. Remove snorkel cover by unfastening the two bolts then pull it straight out as a tensioned c-ring clamp holds the front of it in place (2016 & newer)

2. Remove the diagnostic plug from the retaining clip; opposite from the snorkel and under the little black trim piece

3. Remove the drain hose from the top of the carbon canister and from the retaining clips that run down the frame

4. Remove the seat

5. Remove the two bolts from the power bar (Piece of plastic the two heavy gauge red wires attach to)

6. Remove the 4 bolts from the two silver w/mesh grill trim pieces (Also what the power bar attaches to) then separate from the motorcycle and set aside; one on each side

7. Place electrical tape under the front two tank retaining bolts to prevent scratches to the frame from the tank dropping when the bolts are removed

8. Grab a small hard covered book or a piece of wood and keep it close by

9. Loosen and remove both of the front tank bolts that are attached to the frame, just under the tank and be careful not to let it drop after they’re removed

10. Lift tank high enough to rest the book/wood on top of the key cover then rest the tank (The part the front tank bolts go through) on top of the book/wood

11. Place a towel under the hoses you see on the inside/under the tank when looking through the front; this is to catch fuel when removing the fuel lines

12. Remove the fuel lines by depressing the metal retaining clips at the end of the fuel lines (Be careful to hold these in until removed as you can damage the o-ring if the retaining clip drags on them)

13. Remove the two electrical plugs/wires that are attached close to where the fuel lines were

14. Move to the rear of the tank and remove the bolt securing the rear of the tank

15. If the drain lines were separated from the retaining clips you should be able to lift the tank straight up and completely from the motorcycle

16. Reverse procedure to reinstall

This should allow you to easily remove the battery as you’ll have complete view of the battery once the tank is removed.

· Registered
155 Posts
Sorry for the over simplification. It's been a year since I had the tank elevated. If you have worked on bikes & cars most of it is careful observation and common sense. I'll add don't over torque the tank bolts. I don't have the spec handy but it's not much.

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some things are worth $105.00 per hour labor :)

I thank you all for the wonderful and detailed info but WOW just to change the battery ?

And who the heck is really complaining about tubes?
even new batteries come defective or just simply a battery will die on someone instead of them replacing them on time.most of the times
and so I hope it doesn't happen on the road or I hope a jump start is possible

tube tires is the least of our worries :)

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again,

Okay so I followed your advices and instructions and pictures and you know what

I got it ! OH I got it! Thank you for the nice advice from all.

Now comes the waiting game for an air filter (thats right if you take off this stupid tank to get to a battery YES replace the air filter while you are down there.
Also Now I am going to start with the
charcoal-cannister removal
and may as well remove the Flapper

and since I have it like this I may as well replace the Pipes

but yes the battery has been changed thanks again.

Attachments

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need some help, I just replaced the air filter and the battery. the air filter was a hi Flo air filter but I think looks the same as the original. Yes I removed the tank :)

anyway. I am riding real lean and I pop when I shift like I would like to back fire but does not happen.
the ride is rough and the muffler sounds like a open pipe.

SO time to remove and check everything but I wonder if its air filter or a emission hose ? anyway time to inspect and remove tank again.

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that was the plan

I was gonna take it to Miami tonight but 100 miles of jungle is not fun if the bike is gonna crap out crossing the state

after battery replacement I just took it out and came back right away for a 5 mile round trip

I may as well check the connections I think its something to do with the hoses that go down that charcoal canister I see a plastic T. and on one end go T nothing there or maybe something missing or under the tank :)

and I have to torque the tank better anyway

does the ECU really need some time I had that battery off for a week at least

· Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay I redid everything and even though it sounds better it must be that new air filter (looked the same as stock)
made in Germany so what can I say. its was very similar to the stock but it stated Hi-flo?
not sure but my bike feels like it got a few extra horses an it jumps very lean lean
Oh well since I rechecked all my connections its time to ride it cause the weather just because the best in the world down here in Florida so its time to ride and figure out if I need a tune

Maybe that it!! this is the first few days of No humidity down here so maybe my bike doesn't know how to ride in nice cool crisp weather :)

FYI. next I will buy a lithium because t don't want to do this often. Geez

· Registered
596 Posts
Hint : make sure that the fuel tank has a minimum amount of fuel. Especially if you are doing this yourself. 20 litres of fuel is quite heavy to move around without breaking the electrical connectors.

· Registered
21 Posts
My buddy, who is my boat mechanic, replaced the battery on my 9T yesterday. Took about an hour. He did Not remove the tank or the fuel lines, just raised the rear up after disconnecting the front and rear stuff. I watched, didn’t look too difficult for a mechanic.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.