BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dear All can any one post a pdf of how to remove the tank as Im a bit nervous of having a go and any info on fitting a Booster plug would be much appreciated please & thank you :)
Marco, there's a thread on how to remove/raise the tank concerning the booster plug. Very easy task. Do a search for booster plug install.

·
Administrator
13,656 Posts
Disconnect fuel lines nd remove hinge bolt just in front of battery terminals and remove tank al together, much easier
Accepted that the tank removal will give you more room to work, but I'm not sure about it making booster plug install significantly easier.

I found I had plenty of room to do the install by following the steps I've indicated. The less you disturb the less to go wrong.... ;) I seem to remember two instances of fuel lines decoupling after the quick release fuel fastners weren't reconnected properly leading to the bike stuttering to a halt on the highway...

Aren't there also electrical connectors to disconnect from the tank also? Fuel level sender for instance?

Reactions: Kenko

·
Registered
98 Posts
To be fair, next time he will know what he is doing. How else do we learn about our machines? I recall the time I tried to extract a trapped Betamax video from a VCR with a hammer and chisel and.........err forget I said anything!

·
Administrator
13,656 Posts
Good point, @Black. It is easy to lose sight that this forum comprises of a broad church of abilities and approaches to bike modification and ownership.

Some never change a thing and ride the 9T stock, some mod just about every major area of the bike. One guy might do all the work himself the next might get a shop to do it all for him. And then you get people new to modding and wish to give it a go and are looking for some encouragement and guidance. Me? I'm somewhere in the middle... Confident enough to have a go at basic stuff but happy to give the work to someone with more skill than I for when I feel I've ran out of talent!

@Marco, you decide how far you want to go to install the booster plug. You can get away with just raising the tank and thus disturbing the minimum amount on the bike, or you can remove the tank completely which will give you the maximum amount of room. Your choice. :)

Reactions: Marco

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey BaldyDave thanks for the info I may leave it as I don't want to up set any thing on the bike I don't ride that fast so maybe a booster wont be needed after I fit a new exhaust.

Can you help out with this ? I was told that the levers on the bike have the same fitment as one of GS models. I wanted to get some Pazzo levers and as they don't yet make them for the NT do you know if the levers are the same as another BMW model and if so which one so I don't buy the wrong part Thanks very much cheers M

·
Administrator
13,656 Posts
I THINK that the control levers are the same on the new R1200 Liquid Cooled models, unsure about the GS models (some other member may help you on this).... Can't comment on your choice of replacements though...

I will say that if you are confident enough to fit a new exhaust yourself, fitting a booster plug isn't any more difficult.

I took my time and even at a very leisurely pace, I had the lot done within an hour, and that included hunting for tools I'd misplaced! lol

One thing about replacing control levers, you really should check lever free play after the install - here's how:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/71521-brake-clutch-lever-freeplay.html

To be honest it was miles easier fitting the booster plug than fitting my replacement levers! ha!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Booster is easy and smooths out the fuel delivery. A couple screws and a lift plug and play. Word of advice having done this and coasting off the freeway with no fuel-make sure the quick disconnect is secure and double check and push it in just in case.

Good luck with your mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.