BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and new to BMW ownership, I just recently purchased a low mile 2018 R nineT Scrambler, I've been riding 20+ years, never owned a BMW so I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about lol.

I consolidated two bikes to make room for the scrambler, a 2010 KTM 990 and a 1979 Harley FX Shovelhead. Both bikes were great but with some littles at home I'm not taking trips on the 990 and I've never been cool enough for that Shovelhead lol (I did own it, maintain it for 15 years). I still own a DRZ 400 S in sumo trim and also a KTM XCW 250 when I want to get dirty.

I joined up because I love learning about the bikes I own, seeing what the community is doing and how to maintain/improve this already impressive bike.

I don't plan on many mods but sometimes I just can't help myself lol

Nice to meet y'all

·
Administrator
11,349 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Welcome here

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,787 Posts
Hi again and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
76 Posts
New member and new to BMW ownership, I just recently purchased a low mile 2018 R nineT Scrambler, I've been riding 20+ years, never owned a BMW so I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about lol.

I consolidated two bikes to make room for the scrambler, a 2010 KTM 990 and a 1979 Harley FX Shovelhead. Both bikes were great but with some littles at home I'm not taking trips on the 990 and I've never been cool enough for that Shovelhead lol (I did own it, maintain it for 15 years). I still own a DRZ 400 S in sumo trim and also a KTM XCW 250 when I want to get dirty.

I joined up because I love learning about the bikes I own, seeing what the community is doing and how to maintain/improve this already impressive bike.

Nice to meet y'all

Nice to meet y'all
Welcome, Sir. Look up our meetup group “Sons of Technology” in ATX, you’ll find a great number of riding techies there. It’s a bit slow and hot for rides right now, but we’ll be roaring back through the hill country back roads soon again! Looking forward to meet you there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS: I see you just scored a set of valve cover guards, on another forum, that I was eyeballing. Good on ya!
Ha! That is funny, I was surprised they were still hanging around, guy had them for sale for a while :p Already installed them, hope I never need em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome, Sir. Look up our meetup group “Sons of Technology” in ATX, you’ll find a great number of riding techies there. It’s a bit slow and hot for rides right now, but we’ll be roaring back through the hill country back roads soon again! Looking forward to meet you there!
I am familiar with the Sons, never rode with y'all but always a friendly bunch when I've come across ya. I need to get out to one of the rides, but in these COVID times I am are super cautious, I am excited to start riding in some groups again. Although, like you said, it's HOT so I try and get out early.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really appreciate all the warm welcomes, and nice to see some central Texans in here as well!

Seems only appropriate I share a picture of this beautiful beast

So I have been on two very spirited rides now and I am quite smitten, a little more than I thought.

It's a really interesting motorcycle, it has an old soul to it but feels so hyper-machined at the same time. This being my first boxer I'm loving the rumble, it feels and sounds like a motorcycle should. I told my wife, it feels like you are on an old WWII fighter plane lol

But all the love aside there are a few things I am going to need to figure out. I'm getting some handlebar buzz and my hands are falling asleep. Luckily this bike is so easy to ride that I can take the time to stretch/wiggle my fingers to keep circulation going. Any recommendations on reducing vibes at the bar?
I'm also thinking some bar risers might help.

I've been trying to do research on suspension... seems like a fairly extensive topic documented on this forum so I need to do some reading. However first impression, coming from a KTM 990 is that this suspension is fairly shit lol
To be fair, I have this little tiny manual I need to get my magnifying glasses out and figure out what is adjustable on the rear shock. On the KTM 990 adv you kind swooped in at any pothole because it would gobble it up, this bike I feel every little bump in the road, so I need to figure this out. I intended to leave suspension stock, but it's clear the moto is worth the investment to dial it in, I have a feeling I will have this for a long time.

Also if anyone has tasteful phone mount solutions I'm all ears, I have a Quad-Lock and will probably use that, but doesn't quite fit the esthetic of the bike...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts