BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2020 Urban GS
Discussion Starter #1
After seven months of ownership I've traded my Urban in on 2019 GS HP. Wasn't an easy decision (and I reckon the 9T motor is quieter than the water-cooled motor) but I thought I'd give it a go. I'd have another 9T for sure. Maybe a project Pure if I can find one at the right price.

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
That's an upgrade!!! Nice bike, I like it I was able to test drive it and appreciated it a lot. However for me the Urban has its spirit, a bit simpler, rougher... sincere.

To be honest, if I used the bike more frequently than I actually do, I would probably end up as well to a GS. The version you chose is my preferred one

Reactions: Molly

Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
They are both fun for different reasons. The HP is a comfortable eater of distance and dirt roads. The pinnacle of modern technology. The 9 t reminds you what it was like riding a bike40 years ago. The engine is brilliant. Both are nice to have. Enjoy.

Registered
Yep. Pretty fascinating how the psychology works right? You could have taken a risk and bought a different brand like a Tiger or Africa Twin, and you probably would have been just a happy (statistically speaking) but the human mind is afraid of change.

This is why companies will redesign a vehicle "all new from the ground up" but give it the same name as a previous model. You're far more likely to spend $40k on the "totally redesigned Bronco, absolutely no part is the same from the previous generation, not even sure why we still call it the same thing but we did it anyway" vs "introducing the all new Ford RockHopper XLS". Humans are naturally afraid of change and constantly being manipulated, either by politicians or product directors.

Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
Yep. Pretty fascinating how the psychology works right? You could have taken a risk and bought a different brand like a Tiger or Africa Twin, and you probably would have been just a happy (statistically speaking) but the human mind is afraid of change.

This is why companies will redesign a vehicle "all new from the ground up" but give it the same name as a previous model. You're far more likely to spend $40k on the "totally redesigned Bronco, absolutely no part is the same from the previous generation, not even sure why we still call it the same thing but we did it anyway" vs "introducing the all new Ford RockHopper XLS". Humans are naturally afraid of change and constantly being manipulated, either by politicians or product directors.
When you are happy with a brand and a dealer, you tend to stay with what you know. We fear spending a lot of money and then being disappointed, so we stay within the comfort zone. The unknown can be intimidating. I never liked the 9t and retro scene, a good deal crossed my bath and I bought and lo and behold I was introduced to whole new world of fun and excitement. Sometimes you have to be pushed a bit.馃榿馃憤

Registered
2020 Urban GS
Discussion Starter #7
I've been riding for nearly forty years and only this year bought my first BMW. I just fancied a change. I think there's beauty in utility and would ordinarily avoid anything with more features than it really needs. That's what I liked about the stripped-down Urban GS. I especially avoid things that are high-tech or the latest (unproven) incarnation. For all those reasons the new GS goes completely against my nature. But I decided to stop looking at it that way, to stop worrying about all that stuff and just have a change. So, no offence, but your analysis couldn't be more wrong. The Urban was change and the GS completely against my psychology.

Registered
After seven months of ownership I've traded my Urban in on 2019 GS HP. Wasn't an easy decision (and I reckon the 9T motor is quieter than the water-cooled motor) but I thought I'd give it a go.
I had a 2015 GSA, and the motor was definitely quieter than my Urban, but the exhaust was louder. I had a 2007 GSA that was much quieter than either the 2015 or the Urban. I miss that bike.

Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
I just added a 2020 BMW R1250GS Adventure to my stable on Wednesday
You have good taste.
I kept my R Nine T Pure
Great combo! I still have my 2001 GSA 1150, love that one for long hauls with tons of luggage, it鈥檚 a whole other ball game. My longest day on that one was 800 mls, close to impossible in my opinion on a R Nine T. We should meet in Austin sometime soon! Enjoy!

Registered
After 40 years and perhaps 100s of bikes I鈥檇 say the nine t is about pure biking .
sure gs is a marvel. But sorry to say its also too easy and Sterile. For me at least.
ive owned one , and after 10min in the saddle I was yawning.

Administrator
the nine t is about pure biking .
sure gs is a marvel. But sorry to say its also too easy and Sterile.
I agree totally with this. Yes technically the W/C GS1200 I test rode and the R1200RS W/C were fabulous bikes and did everything very well and would easily outclass the R nineT on power and long distance work, but the big thing that the W/C boxers did not do was make me smile. Neither looking at them (especially the GS), but more importantly when I rode them.

I know if I had one it would simply be an appliance to do a task, but it wouldn't pull on me heart strings at all. I had a couple of big Japanese sports bikes and once the thrill of going fast wore off, there wasn't much left. I just started to go faster and faster to get my thrill. I would either have lost my licence or risked my health or life if I continued. My MK1 Le Mans and my R nineT give me a thrill just looking at them and always make me smile even at the legal speed limit - which of course I always stick to..... 馃槆

But of course motorcycling is a very subjective experience and some folk get their kicks in different ways so I wish you well @Molly and hope the big GS gives you exactly what you want from a motorcycle. You are always welcome here in any case. :)

Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
Congrats on that great looking GS! :)

I looked at the GS for a couple weeks before moving on to the R9T. Both are great, of course, and my R9T satisfied what I was looking for in a new bike this time around. Next time maybe it'll be a GS, RT, RS, or something completely different. But since I really dig the boxer engine (and this is my first one) I wouldn't be surprised if I stuck with it.

Congrats again and safe riding!!

Registered
Like Baldy, I've got to feel an emotional connection to my motorbikes. My Racer and my '12 RT (camhead) provide a lot of emotional connection and make me want to go for a ride just looking at them. Another word for this is "character". A Swiss Army knife is a wonderful and versatile tool but provokes no emotional connections for me, and neither does any GS ever built. But to each their own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts