BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Hello guys - I love the way my Nine T looks, but regretfully BMW didn’t include some needed “Chicken Parts” to keep it looking that way. Our NineT ’s are lacking in the fender department to protect the machine even when its dry. When the weathers ugly, we all know our beautiful ride is not going to be a pretty picture when we get back home.

Where’s the rest of my Front Fender - In keeping with the NineT's sporty look, BMW gave it a very small front fender. I’m a fanatic on keeping my engine clean, so I can’t deal with the front tire slinging up rocks and sand even on dry days covering the belt cover and oil cooler. To help remedy the problem, I bought a beautiful stainless oil cooler cover to keep the small rocks out of the cooler and to clean up its appearance. I did put up an article on this at: http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/bmw-ninet-general-discussion-forum/111737-j-cycles-filler-thermometer-oil-cooler-cover-mike-mas.html

Front Fender Replacement - Since I wanted to trim my NineT with Carbon Fiber, I ordered a carbon fiber front fender from Shift-Tech in Fort Lauderdale. The fender is beautiful and made of real carbon fiber and an exact replacement of the stock piece so you just unbolt the supports take off 4 screws and your done. The fender sells for $189 and I found it right on Ebay.

Front Fender Extender - Regretfully the replacement front fender like the original was too short, so I searched high and low and finally found matching Carbon Fiber fender extension which I had to order it from Spain. The extension sells for around $35.00 with free shipping and it only took 6 days for it to arrive. To install the extension I added some very thin two-sided tape as a separator then used three 3mm bolts with some washers to permanently secure the extension. While I would have preferred just a longer fender, I’m happy to say it looks pretty good and my belt cover and oil cooler no longer get loaded with sand and pebbles.

My Missing Inner Fender - As we all know, BMW neglected to install an Inner fender on the NineT. While I understand making fender changes is not for everyone, for myself the minute I got home from the dealer, I began searching for a solution since removing mud, small sticks, rocks and debris from around the rear shock coil and surrounding parts is not one of my favorite pass times.

Rear Inner Fender - Finding a rear inner fender for the Nine T turned out to be complicated, while there 3-4 choices, only two were carbon. For reasons unknown, the Wunderlich kit required removing the rear tire and exhaust so I bailed on that one. My last choice was the Inner Fender kit from the folks at Puig on the Revzilla site, but it was only a Carbon Fiber “Look” and not real fiber. Regardless, I ordered it anyhow because of its ease of installation and sporty look.

Puig's Great Design - The Puig inner fender kit includes some beautifully designed brackets which I liked better than the Wunderlich brackets. The fender is nice and wide down by the shock area and tapers to a point at the rear, making it both sporty looking as well as maybe something BMW would design. Another problem was the Puig carbon fender had a satin finish which was not glossy like my front fender and my Sargent Seat Pod, but I had a solution for that.

Making It Shinny
- I was not going to make the satin finish be my demise, so I went to the auto-parts store and bought a can of automotive Duplica-Color glossy clear paint, I cleaned the fender with alcohol and put a few coats of clear to match all my other Carbon fiber goodies.

Installing the Inner Fender - Installation is straight forward, use a flat jack or hydraulic hand jack to lift the rear of the bike just enough so as you loosen the bolt on the parallel beam it allows the bolt to spin freely in it bore, so as you remove the old bolt the new one will slip right back in. The fender is held on with this and another bolt so you’ll replace the bolts with hardware in the kit and supplied spacers. The Installation takes just minutes and when you’re done, you’ll be amazed just how good looking this fender is.

In Conclusion - I achieved my two goals by first curing the mud, rocks, and sand blasting of the short front fender and the missing rear inner fender. Secondly, I took advantage of the situation to dress up the bike with some additional carbon fiber parts so the mods are both functional and pretty!

Thanks Guys - Mike Mas

Shift -Tech Carbon Fiber Front Fender $189 Ebay:

***eBay link removed***

Carbon Fiber Fender Extender $35.00 Ebay:

***eBay link removed***

Revzilla Puig Inner Fender $225

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-rear-mudguard-bmw-r-ninet-r9t-2014-2017

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Good find! Thanks for writing that up for us ... that front extender, will it fit the oem mudguard too or only the carbon one you fitted?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Mike Mas enjoy your post's your bike looks great..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good find! Thanks for writing that up for us ... that front extender, will it fit the oem mudguard too or only the carbon one you fitted?
Thanks for the replys, the carbon fender is identical to the stock fender so the extension will fit either. If you're keeping the stock fender in black there is a number of low cost black plastic extensions available.

Thanks

·
Administrator
11,513 Posts
Think it's the same one that I fitted to my bike, if so the answer is yes. My carbon fender extender was purchased on eBay and came from Spain too.

·
Administrator
11,513 Posts
Great post @LOW ON CASH. :) Looking forward to your next write-up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fitted the puig rear fender also (plain black version), and it does a good job keeping dirt off the shock, however it will not stop a line of spray and dirt on the seat, up the back of your jacket, and your helmet when riding in the wet. In Ireland we get plenty of wet days, so I have fitted a GS splash guard to help keep my back clean.
I agree the bikes lines are better without a splash guard, but for wet weather riding its a big help and I don't think its completely offensive looking. A crud catcher on the front of the engine also helps keep muck off the engine.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Crud

I have been looking at the Wunderlich front mudguard extension and might buy it along with their perspex hand guards. I have the Puig rear hugger fitted but it doesn't do the complete job; I am tempted to go for the aluminium rear mudguard from Barracuda ( https://www.barracudamoto.co.uk/motorbike/bmw/r-ninet/portatarga-modello-classic.html ). I have fitted an ally rear mudflap which certainly helps but still some crud makes its way upwards in wet conditions.

NICK

Reactions: RSMike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fitted the puig rear fender also (plain black version), and it does a good job keeping dirt off the shock, however it will not stop a line of spray and dirt on the seat, up the back of your jacket, and your helmet when riding in the wet. In Ireland we get plenty of wet days, so I have fitted a GS splash guard to help keep my back clean.
I agree the bikes lines are better without a splash guard, but for wet weather riding its a big help and I don't think its completely offensive looking. A crud catcher on the front of the engine also helps keep muck off the engine.

Mike thanks for the reply does anyone you know make a carbon fiber rear fender like on your bike to keep the rooster tail down thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wunderlich seem to do a carbon fibre splash guard: Carbon fibre splash guard

...or: ...removed ebay link, sorry, just realised they are not allowed....but, just search for "2004-2012 Carbon Fiber Hugger Splash Guard" on ebay and there is a US based one that looks good at more than half the price of the Wunderlich item.

Love that Barracuda aluminium mudguard, and looks like it could be quite effective at reducing spray........, thanks Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't wish to be a bearer of bad tidings, but a number of R1200 R Roadsterers who fitted the PUIG rear hugger in the past had problems with the rearmost aluminium support arm/ bracket cracking near the rear mounting eye. I had the same item on two or three Roadsters and never experienced that issue, but it seemed real. Just keep an eye on things mayhap....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pyramid do a front mudguard that loos longer at the back than standard, in gloss black or CF (reasonable price as well), I'm thinking of betting one, but would prefer a brushed ally one.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I'm more interested in that hump.
Is it the Sargent one?
Can I see a few more pics to get a better idea what it looks like on the bike.
By the way I went for the Hepco Becker sump guard.
Not the prettiest add on but I like a bit of undercarriage protection and this one offers useful front of engine guarding against stone chips.
IMG_20190519_173853.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts