BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new handlebars as stated in my other thread. Now I just got my new aftermarket heated grips. Sitting here at work looking at the heated grips and I have some questions about install.

1. The clutch side OEM grip screws into the handlebar which is attached to the controls. The rubber grip part that pulls up to access the screw. Is this rubber part removable to put the new grip on? Otherwise, there is nothing securing the controls down.

2. Throttle side is kinda the same question about separating the grip part from the throttle tube. They seem to be on there like one piece. Should I try to cut it off?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just read some stuff on the internet about cutting the rubber. I'll try it this weekend.
I spoke with the local techs about that a couple of weeks ago and they told me that the rubber is glued to the actual grip which is a plastic piece. He said it was a bear cutting the rubber off. He told me that he had to sort of smooth out the left over pieces that he wasn't able to cut off.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with the local techs about that a couple of weeks ago and they told me that the rubber is glued to the actual grip which is a plastic piece. He said it was a bear cutting the rubber off. He told me that he had to sort of smooth out the left over pieces that he wasn't able to cut off.
You are correct. Its all one piece. I was just shaving off the rubber with a knife. Was not smooth. Did not look good. Was taking a long time. There has to be another way. I am not the first person to install aftermarket grips.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You are correct. Its all one piece. I was just shaving off the rubber with a knife. Was not smooth. Did not look good. Was taking a long time. There has to be another way. I am not the first person to install aftermarket grips.
You're on the right path. Start by cutting as much off as possible with the knife being careful not to slice into the grip itself. After that he said that he set up a dremel with the sanding attachment to sand it smooth. Will take a while but it works.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You're on the right path. Start by cutting as much off as possible with the knife being careful not to slice into the grip itself. After that he said that he set up a dremel with the sanding attachment to sand it smooth. Will take a while but it works.
I started on the left one and got the rubber shaved off with a razor blade utility knife. Here is my problem. The 7/8 size of the grip would probably fit over the handlebars just fine. But BMW has that tube. Maybe I should have purchased the 1" size grips.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I started on the left one and got the rubber shaved off with a razor blade utility knife. Here is my problem. The 7/8 size of the grip would probably fit over the handlebars just fine. But BMW has that tube. Maybe I should have purchased the 1" size grips.
I recently watched a video on YouTube on how to install grips. To put the grip on the guy used an air nozzle and blew air over the grip as he slid the rubber part over it. Worth a try. Or you can use a heat gun and soften the rubber a bit and try to slip it on. Or you can use a big handful of Crisco...Oops sorry about that one I got carried away for a moment. (Smile)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mr. Lee, there was another thread on the forum where it was mentioned that grips come in two sizes per pair. The reason being if I am correct is that the throttle side is a bit larger in diameter. Is it possible you have the wrong side or that the order was packaged incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm not sure what you are doing. My left slid right on. You just have to "deconstruct" the plastic piece that attaches to the control switch.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not sure what you are doing. My left slid right on. You just have to "deconstruct" the plastic piece that attaches to the control switch.
After, I used some black silicone to attach the control switches back to the grip so that they dont rotate.
Madmike, I don't understand deconstruct, is that cutting something off?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell us what you did

Tell us what you did...don't keep it to yourself.
Sorry some reason I thought I already did.

the left controls has a tube attached. The grips are glued to the tube. Its one piece. Turns out there is a little clip to separate them. After that it fit like any grip.

The right side was harder. I cut of the rubber and used my grinder to shave of plastic. After a few passes and trial & error the new grip slide on over the oem throttle tube.

I did not want to cut any of the BMW electrical harness, so i just wired it up to the battery with no relay. It is suppose to an auto shut off if it detects a low battery. We will just have to wait and see how it works.

Any one know of anyone selling the right control unit? I don't know why the turn signals down work. I got the whole thing stripped town to the flex ribbon tape. It all looks good. Hazard lights work so I think it is the switch which cost $256. WOW.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sorry some reason I thought I already did.

the left controls has a tube attached. The grips are glued to the tube. Its one piece. Turns out there is a little clip to separate them. After that it fit like any grip.

The right side was harder. I cut of the rubber and used my grinder to shave of plastic. After a few passes and trial & error the new grip slide on over the oem throttle tube.

I did not want to cut any of the BMW electrical harness, so i just wired it up to the battery with no relay. It is suppose to an auto shut off if it detects a low battery. We will just have to wait and see how it works.

Any one know of anyone selling the right control unit? I don't know why the turn signals down work. I got the whole thing stripped town to the flex ribbon tape. It all looks good. Hazard lights work so I think it is the switch which cost $256. WOW.
Thanks for the details, I am curious about the clip though. Moving on to the turn signals. Not sure if you already did it but I'd take the switch unit apart again and check if there might be a loose connection.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the details, I am curious about the clip though. Moving on to the turn signals. Not sure if you already did it but I'd take the switch unit apart again and check if there might be a loose connection.
The the clip was a part of the tube that the grips where glued to. That clip connected to the controls. It looked like one piece.

I have already taken it apart about over ten times. I keep thinking this time it will work. I can still ride without turn signals. Will just suck a bit having to use my arm to make turn signals.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry, I was absent. For the throttle, I purchased an $8 aluminum throttle tube on eBay and installed the grip on that. I first tryed to modify the original but gave up on that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts