BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Erm....classic example of someone not reading the first post, my friend..... look closely at the photo and read later posts
Ok, what am I missing? In the pics I see a cracked sheath not broken wires. I can find no mention of a failure due to broken wires 'til your post.#37 . The "repair" I see is to the sheath. An actual wire repair in that area is problematic because the wires flex and you get future failures at the end(s) of the wire splice/repair. You usually go back farther and replace lengths of wire so the splices are not in an area that flexes, something I pretty sure BMW would not authorize under warranty except as a temporary fix. Break wires and they replace the harness.

I can see them authorizing the sheath repair I think I'm seeing. I can also see an upcoming service bulletin (or recall) to apply the sheath overlay.

Am I missing something? Not trying to start an argument.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi John, the first post is mine. The wire was broken, the clocks, warning lights and display were complete out. The dealer restored the wires because otherwise they have to replace the whole wire loom they said.
They told me it was the first time they saw this and never heard about that before.
Why doesn't that surprise me?? :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hi John, the first post is mine. The wire was broken, the clocks, warning lights and display were complete out. The dealer restored the wires because otherwise they have to replace the whole wire loom they said.
They told me it was the first time they saw this and never heard about that before.
Why doesn't that surprise me?? :icon_scratch:
Thx, that clears things up. Are you out of the warranty period?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The cable is repaired under warranty, no cost.:goodjob:
Probable cause: too much bent, combined with freezing temperatures.
As a replacement motorcycle during the repair, I got a scrambler.:smile:
One month before warranty end...

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Ok, what am I missing? In the pics I see a cracked sheath not broken wires. I can find no mention of a failure due to broken wires 'til your post.#37 . The "repair" I see is to the sheath. An actual wire repair in that area is problematic because the wires flex and you get future failures at the end(s) of the wire splice/repair. You usually go back farther and replace lengths of wire so the splices are not in an area that flexes, something I pretty sure BMW would not authorize under warranty except as a temporary fix. Break wires and they replace the harness.

I can see them authorizing the sheath repair I think I'm seeing. I can also see an upcoming service bulletin (or recall) to apply the sheath overlay.

Am I missing something? Not trying to start an argument.
No offence taken. :)

If you look carefully at the first photo you will see a green/yellow wire has snapped. Look at the area of the VIN plate silver surround.

I'll try to enhance it for you:

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
The service manager said he would authorise a good will repair to my bike since my bike was out of the warranty by 7 months, but added that the repair is almost identical to what i already did. I said to leave it as there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

A different fix might be issued in due course, but thats me just reading between the lines, not been told anything official.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The service manager said he would authorise a good will repair to my bike since my bike was out of the warranty by 7 months, but added that the repair is almost identical to what i already did. I said to leave it as there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

A different fix might be issued in due course, but thats me just reading between the lines, not been told anything official.
But you have a cracked/broken sheath but no broken wires?

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Correct. In my case they would replace the stock sheathing with flexible sheathing almost identical to mine. Damaged sheathing is still a failure, and BMW see the repair as a preventative measure. I covered the broken sheathing with flexible conduit which should stop some of the flex, plus took off a cable guide under the instrument console bracket which should spread any flex over a wider area, thus reducing the flex amount.

In cases of a broken wire I believe the current advise is to repair the break then tape and flexible conduit to make the repair secure.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My sheathing isn't damaged yet but I put the flexible conduit over the sheathing just in case. The conduit keeps the sheathing from having such a sharp bend. I put zip ties at three points along the sheathing (top, middle, and bottom) just to make sure that the sheathing stays in place. Hope it works.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Saw a cut brewing on mine. Wrapped silicone electric tape then spiral wrapping band. Hope for best

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Today, cluster is dead. Heading to dealer

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
My cluster started to flicker on the way in to work. I rang the dealer and arranged to pop the bike over for them to have a look at. On the way the cluster stopped working altogether and the needles on the dials froze where they were.

At first they thought I may just have a loose wire but did discuss the possibility of it being the loom. I had a plastic sheath over the wire by the headstock (I have a 2015 model) so rather hoped that I would have escaped this issue.

They said that they would need to get the bike on a bench before they can confirm the issue but are booked out until a week tomorrow. They then told me that they had fixed it before under warranty. I was unaware of this but apparently it was done at the time they had my bike in to fix the crank seal and replace the clutch. I can only assume there was a problem then and they just got on with it as a matter of course.

the bike ran out of warranty in April and has only done 7,000 miles. Given it's the second time in just over two years I'm rather hoping they'll agree to a goodwill fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealer managed to look at my bike earlier than first suggested and found that the wiring had gone again up by the headstock. It's been fixed again but they did suggest if it went again it would need a new loom. Although out of warranty BMW have also picked up the cost so pleased with that.

My only concern would be that if it were to go again that I could be left footing the bill for the purchase and fitting if a loom. The technician did say it was a known design fault but there was no talk of a recall.

So, pleased with the service I received and hoping that the fix will last this time round.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fried control cluster (dash)

My Dash cluster did a bit of a flicker, odd but then it did it again (this is at full turns) and the whole cluster turned off.
Had a closer look and looks like the harness that's connecting to it had a tear and one of the cables went bye bye…
Looking even further into it looks like the harness gets a bit warm and the outside plastic tubing turned a bit brittle and it just tore.
I’m guessing same thing happened to the cable.

The thing is that this fried my dash!
Sure, I certainly don’t like the stock cluster but this is not a cool way to go.
I see this as a really crap implementation, the bike is only 3 years old! How can the harness give up already!?

Here in Australia a replacement is $1800AUD! Pfff
And we don’t get 3 years warranty not that they would accept this as a warranty claim anyway.

Either way just a bit of a heads up for other to inspect their dash harness, maybe only relevant to scorched earth Australia but worth inspecting.
Time to bin this chunky taco (tacho) and looks for some real dials…

·
Registered
420 Posts
You should check with your dealer. This issue is well known and BMW should step up to the plate and fix it. If dealer can’t help, I would go straight to bmw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
This is a known issue and the dealership should be aware of it. There is a sticky thread dedicated to this issue in the Electronics section. I'm moving this thread there and merging it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use the motogadget, however you still need the oem cluster to reset adaptions, throttle body sync, or reset fault codes etc. - i.e. if you plug in the gs911 tool it wont function until you hook up the oem cluster.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts