BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(

Look into motogadget digital tachos!
I use the motogadget, however you still need the oem cluster to reset adaptions, throttle body sync, or reset fault codes etc. - i.e. if you plug in the gs911 tool it wont function until you hook up the oem cluster.
As I understand things, the Motogadget digital gauge plugs into the wiring loom using the same loom connectors that the stock instrument console plugs into, so the Motogadget will still use the same loom that fails so this seems not to be a solution to the issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
correct - i.e. you will need a functioning oem cluster for BMW (or yourself) to service the bike (in addition to getting the harness sorted)

·
Registered
15 Posts
correct - i.e. you will need a functioning oem cluster for BMW (or yourself) to service the bike (in addition to getting the harness sorted)
You can still hook up directly to the ECU for servicing purposes.

I didn't realise this was as big a problem as it is, I'll try reaching out to BMW about this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have and is happy to share a photo of their invoice/bill of materials (what ever you call it where ever you are) for this corrective/repair work?
I'm not having much luck being deal with by BMW Australia.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just checked mine and it’s got the old bendy sheathing. The build date on my bike is 10/15. Will take it in for first service soon and get this sorted along with the swing arm bolts.

This seems to be a common failure point on many bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speedometer Malfunction - cable damage

Thought I'd post this see if anyone else has had the issue my bike developed (saw one prior thread but didn't reach my conclusion). Have just under 20k miles on the 9T and I guess I drive pretty aggressively with lock to lock on the bars. All my supermoto-inspired (and LA parking) moves have folded the connection cable which goes to the speedo to such a degree that it is now severed.

The cable bundle (one of 3 or so back there) is very stiff generally, so with full right lock it bends in one spot (rather than curving like a good little wire) and powers off the cluster. Happened intermittently at first, to my great confusion, and now with more turning and bending it seems to be totally broken. Pretty annoying, but hopefully just a cable replacement rather than a larger loom / cluster issue.

:moved: (Merged this post with the original thread).

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is a thread on her somewhere about this. I believe it is a well known issue, but when I checked with my dealer, they acted surprised about it. I have a kink in my wire as well, and worry that it could lead to a failure like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has any one replaced the whole instrument cluster wiring loom? After repairing it the instrument cluster doesn't actual read speed, rev, indicators etc. etc. just lights up like a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The wire to my instrument cluster has now gone for a third time in 3 years. So that’s two fixes to the original loom with a recommendation to replace the loom this time. It’s been suggested that BMW may pick up the cost for the loom if I pick up the cost for labour.
The second fix was done as goodwill as my bike was three months out of warranty. Not sure which way to go with it at the moment, tempted to get a fix done on the original loom and sell as I’m losing confidence in BMW’s ability to fix what is clearly a design fault.
If I go with a replacement loom does anyone know if there has been a change of design that would stop any future issues?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not good - the 1150GS had similar fault, but easily fixed by cutting a cable tie tightening the wiring to the headstock - are you sure yours has been routed correctly? I also had a problem with the wiring round the headstock on my K1200RS - went up in smoke when i did a 3 point turn and then lights were on all the time - fixed by cutting out the burnt wiring ad soldering in longer cable runs. Suspect canbus wiring my not be so simple to fix?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
Thankyou @dxamet for the clear pictures, and your repair looks good.
Can you work out exactly what is causing the breaks in that spot? Is there something sharp it is rubbing on?
Looking at your first two pictures, is it from a kink in the OEM protection sleeve that was continually rubbing the wires in that spot? In this case (as you have done) it is best to remove the OEM sleeve from that area, and then use a better non-kinking sleeve as a replacement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Hi captain,
Yes the oem protection sleeve was too stiff for these thin wires. The first repair is done by the BMW dealer under warranty. Two years ago they repaired two wires with a soldering connector sleeve, which is also a bit too large for these thin wires imo. Due to the movements in the wiring loom, a wire is broken at the connector sleeve. The other two injuries will still be from the stiff protection sleeve at first. Only one wire out of five was still intact

·
Registered
27 Posts
Add one more for this same failure. My new battery died while on the maintainer. After getting it charged had EMS notification on dash. Moving steering back and forth sometimes would make it go away, and sometimes would make the gear indicator light go off or on, and the battery/fuel lights go off and on. Cut away the sheath at the kink and one of the two wires twisted around each other was broken, the other cracked at the same spot.
2015 Bike. My dealer is an absolute joke and the only thing I can ever count on from them is a large bill and dismal service. Actually the bike just sat there 2 months on "consignment" but they could never be arsed to even list it (but had their 2015 with similar miles and no mods listed for $2K more. Picked up the bike a couple weeks ago and rode it home. Next time I went to ride it was when this problem popped up. I'm pretty sure they cracked the wires from wheeling it outside every day for 2 months and parking it with the steering locked to the left, where the most stress is placed on the wires. This is a complete garbage design, and ongoing problem, and should definitely be a recall. Due mostly to the shitty dealer, I'm over this bike. When I get it fixed and make the payoff to get the title, you'll be able to bid on it on Bring A Trailer most likely. Guess the next time I can get some time to work on it, I'll be soldering some new wires together.

·
Administrator
11,222 Posts
No offence intended but I think you are overreacting a little. I get that you are very understandably pissed at the dealer and the fact that the bike has faulted so soon after you bought it... However this is one fault, and a fault that has been well documented on this forum and that is recognised by BMW as an issue.

Dealers know about this issue and should be prepared to put right this issue at no charge to the customer. There is an official BMW fix involving new flexible sleeving and this has mostly turned out to be successful if anecdotal experience on this forum is anything to go by.

I suggest you tear a strip off the dealer and demand they fix the issue, if they don't, take the issue to BMW. I'm not sure if your 2015 bike is still under factory warranty (expect not) but this is a known problem and I expect you bought the bike with some form of dealer warranty? Either way the dealer and BMW has some form of responsibility to work with you to get the issue fixed.

These bikes are largely very reliable and I expect this might be the only issue you might have with it. Don't diss a bike and consign it to eternal purgatory on the strength of one easily fixable issue that has been recognised by BMW and can be resolved with a factory approved fix.

Simply my 2C....

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
My instruments died completely after some strange behaviour and it was due to a wire breaking apart (green/white). I've now repaired it and wrapped the weak part in self-amalgamating tape so hopefully it will be OK for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 16,100kms, my 2015 R nineT had the 'EWS' warning light come on accompanied by the battery and fuel warning lights. Turn indicator, gear indicator, odometer, tacho were also non-functional. The bike, however, was ridable. In the end, it had nothing to do with a defective key/ electronic immobiliser - the troubleshooting solution offered in the rider's manual (08.2015, 3rd edition, 01 - page 26).

Upon inspection, a broken white wire in the instrument cluster wiring harness was the issue. The original protective sleeve was otherwise intact yet had a kink in it. I had raised the issue of the harness wires kinking with my dealer previously but nothing was done about it other than the cursory visual inspection. The dealer fixed the wire (not the harness) on this occasion and placed corrugated tubing similar to the BMW OEM part 12 51 7 803 874 over the wires then wrapped it all with black electrical tape.

The technician showed me the BMW OEM tool he used to repair the wire (part 83 30 0 496 833). Interestingly this is called 'Special Tool for Wiring Harness Repair' on the MAX BMW Motorcycles website.

Cost was free of charge. Bike is outside the warranty period.

The repair looks rudimentary in my opinion and unlike other repair attempts pictured in this forum post (which look halfway decent), the re-rerouting of the wire/tube appears too long in this instance (see pic)

84706259_2625295034365438_7704129533166747648_n.jpg

As you can see, the wire/tubing is too long and now rubs against the BMW emblem badge - just like it did on the old BMW Classics (R51/2, R51/3 etc.).
I've contacted BMW Motorrad Australia to determine whether any official recalls have been announced, pending or if any official workshop reworks are available.

I'd like to have it fixed and looking more professional and without the rubbing issues.

A quick check on the BMW Motorrad Australia Recall website says there are no pending issues with K21 R nineT Z612441 vehicles.

I doubt very much BMW Motorrad will replace the looms on affected pre-2017 models as this would be a costly exercise. It seems they are well aware of the issue however.
It doesn't instil much confidence if this is likely to be an ongoing issue considering some members here have repaired these wires on more than one occasion.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
Where would they have pulled the extra loom length from to get that much slack?
Is there any way you could tighten the loom at one end?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where would they have pulled the extra loom length from to get that much slack?
Is there any way you could tighten the loom at one end?
When the wire are crimped, the connector would add some length to the wire. The corrugated tubing is only 130mm in length. I'll measure this and see whether they used the OEM part or some generic tubing.

Still no reply to my email to BMW Motorrad Australia. :-(

61 - 80 of 83 Posts