BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer fixed the wire (not the harness) on this occasion and placed corrugated tubing similar to the BMW OEM part 12 51 7 803 874 over the wires then wrapped it all with black electrical tape.
Just measured the corrugated tubing. It's not the BMW OEM part 12 51 7 803 874. The tubing used is more than 130mm in length that this BMW OEM wiring repair tube is. The one my dealer used is closer to 300mm+ in length.

I've got one more day before BMW Motorrad Australia are supposed to get back to me on this issue. Hopefully, they deliver.

Still wondering whether a BMW Service Bulletin went out regarding this issue and that a proper solution is available.

·
Administrator
11,244 Posts
Still wondering whether a BMW Service Bulletin went out regarding this issue and that a proper solution is available.
Now I might be wrong here, but I seem to remember my dealer telling me that they had been made aware of the issue by BMW and got a Service Bulletin about the approved repair to the loom (with the corrugated sheathing). This was back in 2015-2016 I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone contributing to this thread. super helpful.

I was shocked riding home today when my dials went completely dead. the bike was still running, headlight and tail light still working. just my dash decided to take a nap. The on-off problem with my dials started happening this last month along with the ews warning. I had initially thought it was a battery issue as similar issues were reported with phantom dials in a different thread, a new battery fixed the issue. But my bike hadn't been struggling to start and the battery warning light hasn't come on either. The on-off dials started happening more frequently until finally today it went off for an extended period. checked the wiring when i got home, even went as far as lifting the tank and following the route of the cables when i found the kink. Happy i found the problem. Sad i hadn't found it by searching for it on here a little more first. could have saved myself some time and tears.

Did my repair before reading this thread. added some self adhering rubber tape around the cables to prevent them from kinking. stopped the kink but i slipped it back into the plastic clip keeping it against the frame making it a bit tight when i turn my wheel all the way to the left. close to left lock the dials go dead. :cry: was hoping to avoid repairing the actual wire. But after reading this thread i feel fairly confident i can fix it without exploding the dials. will address this soon. Thanks again!

81 - 83 of 83 Posts