BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all
My bike still with BMW Mottorade dealer and those idiots did not do anything since 4th of January.
I have dead left controls and dead cluster panel, possible after I was Jet washing the rear subframe while repair the engine.
When I talk to adviser he was mention about some unit which cost £237+vat which responsible for the clocks but his main aim was to make me up to replace all parts not related to my order, like missing bolt on gear box £68+Vat, lever £180 etc... bloody idiots, I have no words!

Motorbike 2 month out of factory warranty and got extended one at the moment.

So I checked all again and found only one parts which may be help to repair my bike, will drop the photo.
I can not find any clear info how the unit works but one thread said that Unit ( below) is Two in ONE, alarm and instrument cluster controlling and its the one I was washed...

UPDATE: even manual instruction mentions the same fuse for instrument cluster, alarm and rest stuff under the seat.

Am I in the right way or lost again?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
225 Posts
What you show there is the alarm control unit which is actually optional, some bikes have it others not.

The unit they're talking about is number 1: Katalog - Katalog

Although the fuse is the same, those units have nothing to do with each other.

It is located under the tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for clear reply. Yes there is one more unit seating next to the alarm unit under the seat of r9t bike. If you are right then it can be the problem because I wash it all together.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
225 Posts
Actually, you are correct, it's not under the tank, it's under the seat. I accessed that area just today to install a battery tracker and I noticed that that unit is there. Try to unplug the cable, blow compressed air to the plug and socket and then spray contact cleaner. If there's water there, it may help. If it doesn't work, and if it is possible (don't know whether it is a sealed unit), open the plastic box and have a look at the electronics, looking for water/humidity. Give it the same treatment, a blow of compressed air, followed by a spray of contact cleaner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, you are correct, it's not under the tank, it's under the seat. I accessed that area just today to install a battery tracker and I noticed that that unit is there. Try to unplug the cable, blow compressed air to the plug and socket and then spray contact cleaner. If there's water there, it may help. If it doesn't work, and if it is possible (don't know whether it is a sealed unit), open the plastic box and have a look at the electronics, looking for water/humidity. Give it the same treatment, a blow of compressed air, followed by a spray of contact cleaner.
The bike with the dealer now they refuse to repair by warranty today so may get cash job estimation tomorrow and will decide what to do.
Do you know by the chance if the left control related to the clocks? I have it fully disabled no horn, no indicators etc and it stop working in the same time with the cluster.
Dealer adviser hinted that the problem possibly only in that single unit but they never give you 100% sure.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
225 Posts
As far as I understand from the wiring, there's no connection between that control unit and the left switchgear module on the handlebar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, try hard restart. Disconnect the battery, connect the positive and negative cables for 30 minutes. (no battery in the circuit! :O))). The part number that controls the devices -

I had a problem with the time and data display and it was an error in the unit. After the hard reset, it started working properly. I definitely recommend cleaning the electrical contacts on the unit. It is under the saddle and possibly before buying a new one, find someone from whom you can borrow it and try it out. The exchange is for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I was already try all but no chance at the moment
Hi, try hard restart. Disconnect the battery, connect the positive and negative cables for 30 minutes. (no battery in the circuit! :O))). The part number that controls the devices -
Do you mean left control or unit under the seat?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts