BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some intakes from time to time that have black or colored fill in the recessed "R nineT" letters. Are folks painting those, is there a source for adhesive lettering, etc? I like the contrast but not finding anything in my searches so far.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I see some intakes from time to time that have black or colored fill in the recessed "R nineT" letters. Are folks painting those, is there a source for adhesive lettering, etc? I like the contrast but not finding anything in my searches so far.

Plenty of businesses out there that I'm sure could supply you with custom graphics to suit. If no success locally PM me and I'll give a contact here in Oz I've often used for such purposes, who do an excellent job.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I painted mine. There must be some decals out there. It’s not difficult. If you screw up just wipe it off and start again. The secret is in thinning the paint (enamel) to the correct viscosity and use a tiny brush with long hairs. I must have wiped mine off a dozen or so times before I was happy with the results. You can do it. Go for it. StayUpOn2

·
Registered
707 Posts
Presumably you remove the intake before starting to slosh paint around. Personally I'd use water-based acrylic - easier to wipe off. Dang - another job to do!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Acrylic will peal Lawerence. Enamel will last 5 times longer, and yes I did remove the snork before I began. You can actually use gravity to help put the paint where you want it. The aluminum is very easy to clean up with a bit of solvent like paint thinner or mineral spirits. Check out how to remove the snorkel because there is a rubber bayonet style retainer that’s difficult to see. Once you remove the screws you have to push the unit forward to disengage it from the bike. Have some fun !

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks, blitz. If I attempt this I'll certainly follow your lead. I appreciate your words.

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
707 Posts
He also does tank stickers to fill in the 3 slash cuts
Wow! This approach looks really good - problee far better than I could achieve! But cost?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow! This approach looks really good - problee far better than I could achieve! But cost?
Lawrence there’s bound to be a local artist or calligrapher in Redland Bay that would paint your snorkey for a few quid. If not what better excuse for a walk about to Sydney or where ever you need go to find one. I still think you could do a bang-up job yourself. Hold off on your brewsky one night and give it go.... ?

·
Registered
707 Posts
'Wet and slide' answers a thought I had, knowing how tricky it can be to exactly position self-stick decals. Good price too: will ponder on't. Thank you...

Reactions: nervous

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does he have a website or only via facebook? I like the look but not a FB member

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look slike there was something odd in the translation message. I am sure if you just PM James and I am sure he will take very good care of you. :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Oh well - back to the paint-pot/ drawing board! Not that it's critically important...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installed mine today. I had a little learning curve on getting them on and would now be way better on another try, but patience was the key, and I am always in short supply of that it seems. Thank you James for being on 24 hour call to talk me down and answer all my inane questions. Above and beyond for sure.

That said they are quite nice, looks painted but better! The added benefits of crisp letter edged AND reflectivity. I like. :)

I could have moved everything just a fraction left, looking at the final product my either my bench lighting/shadowing or my aging caratact addled eyes favored everything right. A bit noticable in the pics but in reality, from more than a foot away you cannot tell.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good Job Nervous,
That looks great ! Much better than my hand painted version and it’s looks centered to me. The only change up I might have tried is swapping the T’s so the white “nine” would have a black T and vice versa. Nice contrast and would read Nine T Instead of Ninet ..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Job Nervous,
That looks great ! Much better than my hand painted version and it’s looks centered to me. The only change up I might have tried is swapping the T’s so the white “nine” would have a black T and vice versa. Nice contrast and would read Nine T Instead of Ninet ..
Both pics are the same transfer, there's only one. It's 3M reflective so it reflects in the dark when light hits it, that's what the 'white' version is representing. I have seen differemt color options but I opted tp keep ot monochrome.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Both pics are the same transfer, there's only one. It's 3M reflective so it reflects in the dark when light hits it, that's what the 'white' version is representing. I have seen differemt color options but I opted tp keep ot monochrome.
That’s even better. I had heard of black reflective 3M brand but never seen it before. My bike has many black areas that I thought would look good for safety if I put reflectors but didn’t like the look. I hear about people removing the orange ones from the front forks but it makes the bike almost invisible from the sides at night. That black tape is the answer I’ve been looking for. Thanks Mate Great idea !

Reactions: nervous
1 - 20 of 51 Posts