BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Last weekend I did a 240 mile ride with a group out of San Jose, CA. Amazing day through the mountains and foothills. It was a great way to break in the Pure! It was a diverse group of riders. Some on sport bikes, cruisers ADV's and naked bikes.

As I've tooled around on the Pure since I brought her home I've been noticing the reactions of folks. Sport bike guys first write me off, then once they see how the Pure keeps up they look at the details of the bike and start asking questions. They don't really know how to classify it. It's not a sport bike, it's more than a standard, it's modern retro - but a little heavy on the modern (as compared to the Triumph Thruxton and others, IMO). It's more of a confused look than anything.

GS Riders ignore me completely - like I don't exist. They really irritate me! Seriously, it's a Beemer, it has the same engine as many... Sometimes I want to kick mud on their ADV bikes just to piss them off since most never see the dirt!

All in all I'm really enjoying the Pure. It's truly a fun machine. Currently its at the shop for the 600 mile service and suspension upgrades. I run about 250 pounds and I completely overwhelm the suspension especially when pushing it in the twisties. On rough roads it's pretty jarring. Based on the recommendation of a suspension shop I've dealt with before (Catalyst Reaction Tuning), I went with the KTech DDS Lite rear and the Andreani Fork Cartridges. I looked at the Wilbers from the Beemer Shop in Scots Valley, but the cost was prohibitive. With the Andreani they set the springs to my weight and it comes with adjustability. I'll let you know how it is when it gets back.... Thanks for letting me rant!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat as you about weight and suspension. What spring rate are going with out back? Also what type of riding will your bike be set up for?
I'll let you know... I gave my stats to the tuners and they ordered accordingly. Once I pick up the bike I'll have more details. I'm setting it up for aggressive riding in the mountains / canyons.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
And what a fine rant it was too! ;)

Will be interesting to see how you like the mods. Please start your own build thread in the Rnine T builds section, as we all like to see folk modify their bikes. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Must say, I've found the same thing over here. I always nod to other bikers, but since getting my Sport, I get maybe 1 nod in 10, seems I'm invisible now.
Hey, who cares it's a great bike and love the engine and simplicity of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Generally I find other bikers nod/wave back no problem when I am riding my Pure. The worst offenders seem to be Harley riders....4 out of 5 of them will not wave or nod back at you. Not sure why, given that I am not the one sitting on a 1,300 cc that pulls just 75 HP, and makes way too much noise for the speeds they pull. However, the Harley biker that knows a thing or two about bikes and bike history, will give their respect once they spot the boxer....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Around here it's dirt bikes who wave the least. Second would be sport bikes.
Very true....somehow I missed the dirt bikers in my earlier reply about the wave snobs. I might be biased since I learned to ride on dirt bikes when I was a young lad. I have not noticed the snobbery from Sport Bikers!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
When it's safe to do so, I wave to everyone, even old guys on trikes (or those three wheel things with two wheels in front). I sometimes don't even notice if they return the wave - I don't care, that's not why I'm waving. That's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is the right philosophy, Dauphinais. I also try to keep in mind that not everyone is comfortable letting go of the handlebars just to wave back at some random dude! It's all good

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like John Liotti said, GS riders.
I commute daily, about 35 km (22 miles) each way.
I get more nods and thank you's from Superbikes, KTM's and Harleys.

I too weigh in at about 250 pounds with my kit, tools and back pack.
I would be very interested in your comments with regards to your suspension upgrade.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
When it's safe to do so, I wave to everyone, even old guys on trikes (or those three wheel things with two wheels in front). I sometimes don't even notice if they return the wave - I don't care, that's not why I'm waving. That's their problem as far as I'm concerned.
Spot on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts