BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day ago I visited a BMW dealer to see the Urban G/S. I sat on the bike and my first impressions were: 1. It feels a bit tall for the 125mm front wheel travel it offers. 2. The steering position is not upright, it feels too sporty 3. It feels a bit heavy.

The R1200GS has a 85mm seat height with a 190mm front wheel travel. The Urban G/S has considerably less front wheel travel but still it has the same seat height. Also the steering position is low and the seating position not upright at all. Rider has to lean too much on the steering wheel and taking into consideration that the bike is 221kg fuel ready it will need a lot of strength to manouevre it. I will book for sure a test ride but for the time being the Urban G/S looks more like a styling exercise...I know I can order a lower seat and install a bar riser...but still the wheel travel seems a bit too short on the papers...

·
Registered
229 Posts
A day ago I visited a BMW dealer to see the Urban G/S. I sat on the bike and my first impressions were: 1. It feels a bit tall for the 125mm front wheel travel it offers. 2. The steering position is not upright, it feels too sporty 3. It feels a bit heavy.

The R1200GS has a 85mm seat height with a 190mm front wheel travel. The Urban G/S has considerably less front wheel travel but still it has the same seat height. Also the steering position is low and the seating position not upright at all. Rider has to lean too much on the steering wheel and taking into consideration that the bike is 221kg fuel ready it will need a lot of strength to manouevre it. I will book for sure a test ride but for the time being the Urban G/S looks more like a styling exercise...I know I can order a lower seat and install a bar riser...but still the wheel travel seems a bit too short on the papers...
I say: Have a ride on it
2. I did change to my handlebar by loosing it and push it forwards, also raised it by 20 mm. I could have it a little higher but my friend thinks it's was to high from the begining. I will lower my pegs by 20 mm also.
3. For me it dont feel heavy at all and really easy to manouvre, but off course not like a real offroad like motorcycle. Not much strength needed for street and backroads but lost in the woods, yes :)

I am on a Scrambler with lower seat then the G/S and 1.80 m high

best regards
Tobias

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Tobias. I am 1.73cm. When I said heavy to manouever I did not mean while riding at speed but while you attempt to move the bike...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you Tobias. I am 1.73cm. When I said heavy to manouever I did not mean while riding at speed but while you attempt to move the bike...
Makes sense :)
I all depends, my last bikes
- MT-01: 265 kg
- XT1200Z: 260 kg
- Sportster 48: 260 kg
- Scrambler: 220 Kg

So for me it is easier...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeap...

- G650GS: 192kgs
-F 650GS: 209kgs
-Ducati Scrambler Icon: 189kgs

What I like about the Ducati Scrambler is the high bars that lean towards the rider... but the footpegs are too high to ride above an hour without feeling a bit cramped.
I think the Urban G/S can have better wind protection and the boxer engine is a bit more suitable for touring.

I will book a test ride and of course I will come back here to post my experience with the Urban G/S...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Apples & Oranges!

Its an Urban GS not the still available R 1200GSWC or the earlier R 1200GS dual sport machine that is at home on the hard top or in the deep deep off road stuff. In the car world some would say its a Resto-mod or a modern tribute to a Vintage vehicle. They look good, make the average guy or girl smile but if you want a beast of some sort this is not your bike.

A good test ride on the Urban GS will confirm it is not really a comfortable "off road" bike but more of a modern version of an old school enduro bike like a Honda SL 350- XL 500 or even the bike it is a tribute to, the R 80GS of the early 1980's. It will get your attention with its road skills and will make you very happy on single or double track fire roads and light trail riding but more than that (if its bone stock) and you might leave out there and walk home.

You can get some stuff to beef the bike up and make it more off road but by the time your done and after the money you spend you may have been able to get a 1200 GS or a GS WC and waited on the front end fix if your looking for a more off road bike.

I have an HP-2 Enduro with a few aftermarket trinkets and and an Urban GS and believe me the urban GS is like a Vespa compared to what the HP-2E is like off road even here in South West Florida Pre-Irma. I might need a Jet ski comparison post Irma.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it a G/S? Well it's not the same as the modern 1200GS but it is a great bike. My last bike was a Pan ST1100 and fully fuelled that was 110 kg heavier so in my book its light as a feather and very useable day to day. I did have an 1150GS and it's much easier to push around than that ever was. Its a great ride and alright, it doesn't have the same suspension travel but unless your planning on taking it up and down concrete steps, dropping off high kerbs or getting some air underneath you on a regular basis, on dirt tracks and gravel roads I actually think it would be more confidence inspiring. The finish is superb - I've spent the last day meticulously coating mine in ACF50 and I think it has a superior build quality to any bike I've ever owned in the past. The only bike that I think would come close was an Aprilia rsv1000 that I had. In short I love it. I thought I'd miss a rev counter but I actually like the simplistic nature of that single dial. The test ride did it for me, and as others have said that's the only way to make a decision. When all is said and done these are just my opinions and were all different both in shape, size and thinking. Personally I think the seating position is quite sit up and not canted forward but I'm 6ft with a longish body. Get a test ride and see if you gel and let us know how you go on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Out of the box - No.

However, with some mods it's actually a better GS than my GS was.

I put handlebar risers on it, a Wunderlich foot peg lowering kit, adjustable footpegs from a WC R1200GS and a Sargent Seat. Plus I added the Benduro suspension from Wilburs, which added 30 mm if height and obviously more travel.

Then I rode it on almost every road that I took my WC GS on, and it did better in every respect except for the freeway. It is way less work to do the same job. It weighs less and has a lower center of gravity, and I have been able to take it places that I wasn't able to go with the WC GS.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree with Zoul, it’s fun & easier/lighter/whatever it just feels different, the torque just keeps on coming on the few off road bits I’ve done, mine has Tkc 80’s & took it places the GSA on road tyres would have got stuck, although it needs a sump guard (bash plate) as it’s already a tad bruised

·
Registered
101 Posts
This thread intrigues me because back in the day when the R80g/s was released the conversation was the same-from what I've read.
So true! I owned one of the first available in my city at the time and the criticism against it was fierce. Two arguments I clearly remember from back then were:

1. BMW does not have off-road in its DNA
2. The boxer engine is bulky and incongruent with off-road needs

Eventually, the incredible success of the G/S — both commercial and in competitions — wiped all this away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The GS overall has become a island onto itself. The Urban is closer to the original then anything else out now...but draws fire for not being GS enough-go figure?!
Exactly. Anytime I attempt to point that bit out, it usually falls on deaf ears.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In my opinion like the name Urban suggests the G/S is a R80G/S looking version of the R9T.They should have stuck with the 17 inch frontwheel as it would have made the bike more fun/quicker steering.
To make it life up to it's name Gelaende/Strasse BMW should have put off road capable suspension on it and offer optional centerstand,luggage rack and aluminum bags !
Otherwise as it is the Urban is a very good looking and fun playtoy with a wicked exhaust note !

·
Registered
101 Posts
If only BMW had created an Urban G/S with the suspension travel of the Desert Sled...
Do you think the gap is solvable by installing a combo of the many enhanced suspensions out there (Ohlins and Wilbers on top of the list)?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts