BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I'm confused. In your first post you said you loved the Ohlins kit. Here it sounds like you don't?
I love the Ohlins suspension, it works like great suspension is supposed to. But the guy I was trading posts with said he had used Ohlins a couple times before and every time they had set up his suspension too stiff. He had asked for soft but they set it up for race in his opinion. And I was saying in the line that you quoted that I feel they set mine up pretty stiff also. I said I'm "old and slow" and they set mine up so the faster I go the better it works. There is a lot of adjustment in the clickers, but they can only do so much.

Mine isn't soft and comfy for casual riding around town. I love to go play in the canyon twisties and there the suspension works exactly like you want it to, no wallowing or bouncing in bad ways. There has to be a trade off when you slow down. Unless you get the new electronic adjustable suspension??? I've never riden one but a friend with a performance sport touring bike says they are amazing. He spent well over $20,000 for that bike too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I sent a query to see if you can combine the 140mm front travel with the 170mm rear...and by how much that would raise the height of the motorbike...140 is not much. for that bike 170mm front and rear would be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
17" front wheel would keep it for street only. Hardly G/S...

In my opinion like the name Urban suggests the G/S is a R80G/S looking version of the R9T.They should have stuck with the 17 inch frontwheel as it would have made the bike more fun/quicker steering.
To make it life up to it's name Gelaende/Strasse BMW should have put off road capable suspension on it and offer optional centerstand,luggage rack and aluminum bags !
Otherwise as it is the Urban is a very good looking and fun playtoy with a wicked exhaust note !

·
Registered
85 Posts
The way I see it, the R nineT model lineup is like Porsche bringing back the 993, and the Urban GS is the "959 Dakar" inspired trim. No, of course it's not going to make it more than one stage of Dakar, but thats not the point. It's an homage. It's german humor at its best.

Hence "Urban" GS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The way I see it, the R nineT model lineup is like Porsche bringing back the 993, and the Urban GS is the "959 Dakar" inspired trim. No, of course it's not going to make it more than one stage of Dakar, but thats not the point. It's an homage. It's german humor at its best.

Hence "Urban" GS.
True. Except that in 1982 I used to take my PD R80 G/S off-road all the time and the **** thing had carburators that would suffer a 500 ft change in altitude and a drum brake in the back.
And yet, we thought it was the best dirt machine ever made. It's all relative in the end. And more importantly, the bike by itself doesn't do anything or go anywhere. The rider, only the rider makes the real difference.

By the way, I see you are in Seattle. PM me if you'd like to group ride sometimes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just some thoughts on this:

When the bike was released in 1980's, all the "expert" media said:
Not off road capable, only unpaved road and light gravel tracks
Engine is too old fashion, maybe good to repair for bushman, but out of date.

When we compare the bike that actually won Dakar, with the Urban G/S we have some obvious differences:
the Dakar bike has a bigger Tank
the Dakar bike has only half the power
the Dakar bike is heavier
the Dakar bike has slightly more Travel in the front suspension
the Dakar bike has much worse tires

Would the R80 G/S beat the Urban in a actual Dakar contest? For sure not
Is the Urban G/S with the 190mm Special suspension a alternative for modern ADV bikes? For sure not

So from the BMW point of few: They give you a bike that is better, stronger, lighter, nimbler then the original and offer you state of the art technology at the same time with the F850GS or the R1200GS
(hope the 850 will soon hit our shores btw)

But from some people perspective they thought they get a R1200GS in a no-electronic-spec for half the price...that's the problem

Last: some people buy a bike that can conquer the world but not for doing so, just for just having it. And some people just go an that journey, having nothing else then a iron horse from the 80s and still make it... I just read on reddit about a guy riding with the Urban through half Asia, all stock, bike bought used, had no budget, and he has a blast. Same with that kid that just went on a year North America Journey on his dads 1975 Kawa as tribute. Yes, a S10, AT or R1200GS have so much to offer nowadays, but it's not all about that. The Urban G/S is as much G/S as YOU want and YOU feel it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts