BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My Urban GS has just arrived to my local dealer.

The plan was to change the Tourance's tires for a TKC80's, but now I have doubts between them and the TKC70's...

So finally I will keep the Tourance´s and when they are finished then I will replace them for the TKC's...we'll see which of them...

This is her first picture at the dealer's.

Regards everybody.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations! I replaced TKC70s with Tourance Next on my Tiger 800 and think the TKC70 would be the way to go. I had TKC80s on an earlier bike and they didn't inspire the same confidence on tarmac. Unless you envisage lots of mud plugging or crossing deserts, the TKC70s hit the sweet spot for looks and performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.

Great advice The Albatross. This was my feeling, the balance of the TKC70s.

Now that you test both Tourance Next and TKC70s, is it much difference just on the road between them? At high speeds?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I picked mine up on Friday and absolutely love it. Got TKC 80s on mine and love them, had them on my old 1150 and was surprised at just how well they handled. Love the look of them, just need to see how many miles i get from them. On the 1150 the rear was shot after one trip to Morocco!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine came with the tourances and had the dealer swap them for the TKC80s. It totally transformed the look of the bike. It didn't look proper before.

I love the way TKC80 s ride on asphalt and dirt (much more secure on the road than you would expect given their aggressiveness). I only felt a small wiggle on wet tar patch lines on the twistes.

I would go with the TKC80s especially since you ordered the off road cross spoke wheels. And the dealer will not charge you for the tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a 100 kph speed limit in New Zealand I rarely go much faster but both types of tyre feel confidence inspiring in the wet on tarmac. The Tourance Next is like a cosmetic variation on the sport-touring Z8 while the TKC-70 is a close relative of the TKC-80. For an Urban GS you have a choice of great tyres from Continental -depending on whether you intend to stay mainly on tar seal or want to seriously explore the gravel. But you can't go wrong keeping the Tourance Next on until you have some serious miles under your belt. Happy riding!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have been riding my Urban for a few hundred kilometers and I can draw my first conclusions, despite the fact that from the BMW dealership I have been told that the first 1000km I should not push hard the engine.

I think that my decision to keep the Tourance Next tires has been very successful, because they really give you a lot of confidence. I ride in many mountain roads with a lot of corners, and I can say that they get a lot of grip and I can tilt (I don´t know if this word is correct for what I mean...) the bike a lot with total confidence.

The tires has been my eternal doubt with this motorcycle, aesthetic or performance... that was my question. Probably when the Tourance Next will come to an end, I will try the TKC70's. But I doubt if they will give me the safety ride I'm feeling with the Tourance´s. Of course they are not the same look than the TKC80's...

I am very pleased with the performance of the engine and its sound, although in long distances the vibrations are felt if I compare it with my touring K1100RS, although obviously much less than my R classic's (R90S and R100RS).

I love its agility and versatility. I have taken some off-road rides, and there yes I must be very carefully with the Tourance tires.

Regarding suspensions, I like them on road although the rear could be a little softer. But off road, despite riding at a moderate speed because of my tires, in an unexpected bump I made quick top end with the front and rear suspension, a good shake for my back ...

I am extremely happy for buying this bike, it's very funny to ride and perfect for what I was looking for. For the last 15 years I only have had classic bikes, and I was looking for a bike very versatile, fun to ride and classic look. I found it all in the Urban G/S...

By the moment I just miss a gear indicator and side luggage bags suitable to fit a helmet in...

Kind regards to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike PeteR69S ! I'm looking forward to delivery of my R9UGS... 1st or second week of September. Always hard to give advice regarding tires as there are so many variables. Riding style, type of road, rider weight, temperatures, etc.. I have extensive experience with TKC80's on a KTM690R and can tell you they are pretty good on the road, to include tight twisties, and absolutely dislike water. That being said I also like them as the provide good feedback and I use them as a speed limiting device to avoid getting myself in trouble. The aesthetic factor is of least concern. Despite my experience with the TKC80's I still intend to try the TKC70's and the road/performance oriented tires... like I said they're all different and you need to try them once or twice to see if you like them.

Question regarding your bike. Did the rack come stock or is it an aftermarket option ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you for your advice, TrattoRAZ. Also congrats for your next new bike, for sure you will love it!

I think this will be the best, to try both TKCs for really test which is the best tyre suitable for me. By the moment I am really happy with the standard tires of the Urban, the Tourances...

I bought this rack to Wunderlich. Personally I like the way it looks, I think the rear part of the bike looks "heavier" with it and also more similar to its origin, the R80G/S:

Kind regards...

·
Registered
17 Posts
PeteR69S - I like the rack. It can be used by the passengers grab rail and of course for other items you may want to carry. It is reminiscent of the original and further contributes to the retro look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine came with the tourances and had the dealer swap them for the TKC80s. It totally transformed the look of the bike. It didn't look proper before.

I love the way TKC80 s ride on asphalt and dirt (much more secure on the road than you would expect given their aggressiveness). I only felt a small wiggle on wet tar patch lines on the twistes.
So good to hear others talking about the TKCs in this way. The Urban GS is a staggering bike without them, but with them it’s like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 57 inch chest - it’s the first thing that strikes you, then you realise the rest is just as magnificent!

—I did have a different simile in mind, involving a blonde with big assets but I decided again it.

Hope to be buying a GS before Christmas. If any thread members here want to share more photos of stock and mods it’d be more welcome than a photo of the blonde!

I would go with the TKC80s especially since you ordered the off road cross spoke wheels. And the dealer will not charge you for the tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't seriously take take the comments i'm seeing re "this tyre LOOKS better than that tyre", once you are rolling nobody on this planet will know what tyre is on your bike but you the rider. My turban had the Metz Nexts on it, very good road tyre and do the occasional gravel road, when replace i will fit Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's, i have them on my 1150adv and they are brilliant. Recently spent a few days in the hinterland of northern NSW, quite a lot of gravel roads and of course twisty up and down sealed but often pot holed roads. I am really looking forward to having the Pirelli's on my Turban, they have given the big fat 1150 a new level of handling, the gain of handling on the Turban should be very pleasing. Looks be buggered!!:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't seriously take take the comments i'm seeing re "this tyre LOOKS better than that tyre", once you are rolling nobody on this planet will know what tyre is on your bike but you the rider. My turban had the Metz Nexts on it, very good road tyre and do the occasional gravel road, when replace i will fit Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's, i have them on my 1150adv and they are brilliant. Recently spent a few days in the hinterland of northern NSW, quite a lot of gravel roads and of course twisty up and down sealed but often pot holed roads. I am really looking forward to having the Pirelli's on my Turban, they have given the big fat 1150 a new level of handling, the gain of handling on the Turban should be very pleasing. Looks be buggered!!/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif
Heh ye it’s a great point - when the tyres are moving it’s just like any other tyre. I guess that could be said for any level of detail, paint job, brushed metal, etc. But form before function is not usually the favoured order of good design so I think you have a good point. I watched a very interesting review on the NineT that discussed the fact that the NineT is a real departure for BMW - certainly with the Urban - where usually BMW start with the function and then consider the aesthetic, however with the Urban, and even more broadly the NineT range, BMW are putting form first: the top front mudguard/fender for example. And more broadly, BMW typically position themselves to know better than their customers and tell us what we need, whereas the NineT is designed for the customer to show BMW what customers want by customising it.

Either way, BMW have got it right. They are possibly more bikes out there that I could easily go and buy over and above the NineT, however the culture and history that follows the NineT suits me perfectly: change for changes sake, chameleon-like customisation for nostalgia’s sake and a ton of companies out there offering shiny stuff to add to my bike!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts