BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

I did a bit of a search looking for comments around the top speed of these bikes but didnt really find much other than a few comments about the inaccuracy of the speedo.

Of course this chat must come with a dsiclaimer - we cannot condone riding at dangerous speeds on public roads and this sort of thing should be done at the track :)

Now that that is out of the way, just how fast have you taken your bike?

I had a little run over the weekend heading out to the local track for some spectating of awesome classic race cars and just happened to have the opportunity to give the nine T a squirt (legally obviously ;) )and it was still pulling hard at an indicated 220 kph before i backed off.

I was due to take her to the track again this weekend for a rider day but given it is ANZAC day in Oz, the day has been cancelled so i have to wait a while to see if i can encourage some more out of her (ie, grow bigger balls for later braking coming into the double left sweeper - which is great for removing chicken strips. now if only i could wipe of that last outer few millimeters).

It certainly is lively at those speeds but those brakes are just awesome at washing off speed in a hurry.

has anyone been doing track days in your own patch and what have you got the beasty up to?

Some fettling of suspension would be nice and may have to upgrade but need to finish the house reno's first and then think about the toys :(

Cheers

· Registered
722 Posts
Mine pulls 8,500 rpm in 6th gear. Stock gearing and tire diameter gives 17mph per 1,000 rpm so 8,500 rpm is right at 145 mph. Remus header, Yoshimura can, Bren Tuning ECU flash. Cycle Worlds' (stock) test bike (Dec 2014 issue) went 139 mph.

· Premium Member
1,006 Posts
So are you saying you went 145 on a ninet or is that in theory?

Personally, I don't see a stock NineT being able to go 139mph actual, not indicated. 130mph and with the obvious and well documented speedo discrepancies someone could think/say 139, but actual it ain't going to happen on a stock bike.
139 actual would mean the speedo is at about 150.

Of course wind speed/direction/elevation, rider weight, etc all have to do with things. Having lots of open desert around me where it's safe to open it up which I have done countless times for long stretches and I just don't see it happening, at least on my bike and that's with a fairing which helps with drag.

· Registered
722 Posts
127MPH indicated on the GPS on mine, it runs into the red line due to the final drive before it runs out of power.
So you're saying you're going 127 mph at 8,500 rpm in 6th gear? That would mean you're turning 4.000 rpm at an actual 60 mph in 6th gear. I think that's clearly not right.

Our R Nine Ts aren't geared that short. 2.91 vs 2.75 final drive is only a 5.6% difference.

Cycle World has always been pretty accurate on their performance measurements. If your 127 @ 8,500 in 6th is correct they would have to have been turning ~9,300 rpm to get 139 mph. 127 mph in 5th would be about right...

· Premium Member
2,312 Posts
So you're saying you're going 127 mph at 8,500 rpm in 6th gear? That would mean you're turning 4.000 rpm at an actual 60 mph in 6th gear. I think that's clearly not right.

Our R Nine Ts aren't geared that short. 2.91 vs 2.75 final drive is only a 5.6% difference.

Cycle World has always been pretty accurate on their performance measurements. If your 127 @ 8,500 in 6th is correct they would have to have been turning ~9,300 rpm to get 139 mph. 127 mph in 5th would be about right...
@Bose hit 139:

Edit: With an ECU remap.

Also, I've never seen a Cycle World speed quote that wasn't indicated speed. On a stock bike, with no performance mods, under ideal conditions, I think Lost's 127 actual is probable top end (which is likely equivalent to the 139 indicated that Cycle World saw).

· Premium Member
1,006 Posts
OK, you've proven I'm wrong.

Maybe when going 127 while quickly glancing down at the tach it was close to redline not at it.
I do know for certain I've held my bike wide open for long stretches and haven't got a GPS maximum speed over 127 MPH.
We are talking about actual speeds here by us owners right?
I have no reason to lie, the GPS doesn't lie, 127 is how fast my bike has gone in the conditions I've had, maybe I got the slow version or black is faster than white, though I'm pretty sure my tops speeds were while my bike was still black. ;)

So on the topic at hand, "how fast have you got the beasty up to"?

· Premium Member
2,312 Posts
OK, you've proven I'm wrong.

Maybe when going 127 while quickly glancing down at the tach it was close to redline not at it.
I do know for certain I've held my bike wide open for long stretches and haven't got a GPS maximum speed over 127 MPH.
We are talking about actual speeds here by us owners right?
I have no reason to lie, the GPS doesn't lie, 127 is how fast my bike has gone in the conditions I've had, maybe I got the slow version or black is faster than white, though I'm pretty sure my tops speeds were while my bike was still black. ;)

So on the topic at hand, "how fast have you got the beasty up to"?
Maybe you replied before my edit. I'm in agreement with you.

I don't run a GPS, and I don't do a whole lot of staring at my instrument cluster when running over 100mph, but I've definitely been in the upper 120's low 130's indicated on several occasions.

· Premium Member
1,674 Posts
9T speedo very misleading ,your not riding fast !!

You'll all seem / feel like your getting over some ground fast looking at the 9Ts speedo ,but as we all know there way out on the actual indicated speed in real terms once above 80mph + ,GPS is as accurate as you'll get to real true speed and at 139mph on my GPS the 9T speedo was reading way passed 150mph on the speedo ,as we all know there way out ;) and yep the black ones are very much the faster model even with an ecu remap but with standard pipes n filter :D
Ride safe n ride legal or just don't get caught trying to speed .

· Registered
722 Posts
You'll all seem / feel like your getting over some ground fast looking at the 9Ts speedo ,but as we all know there way out on the actual indicated speed in real terms once above 80mph...
Yep, I just watch the tach.

8,500 rpm in 6th. Remus Headers, Yoshimura muffler, Bren Tuning ECU flash. F800GT bars, right hand on the throttle, left on the fork tube, laying on the tank hiding behind the instruments.

· Administrator
13,759 Posts
Yep, I just watch the tach.

8,500 rpm in 6th. Remus Headers, Yoshimura muffler, Bren Tuning ECU flash. F800GT bars, right hand on the throttle, left on the fork tube, laying on the tank hiding behind the instruments.

Sounds as if you are ready for the Bonneville Salt Flats! ;) I've barely got my bike above 100mph so far (was still pulling well).... On a private road of course!

Reactions: jfseaman

· Registered
722 Posts
Sounds as if you are ready for the Bonneville Salt Flats! ;) I've barely got my bike above 100mph so far (was still pulling well).... On a private road of course!
In the greater scheme of things 140-145 mph isn't all that fast. I was just curious...

With the Ohlins pieces and the narrower more forward bars (very close to the same position as the "touring" ABMs) the bike was dead nuts stable. More stable and comfortable than it was with the stock bits at 100 mph.

· Premium Member
799 Posts
230KPH (indicated) was all I could manage on the short stretches of dual-carriageway on the way to work.

This isn't a bike for going very fast on though. My ZZR1100D would cruise at an indicated 150MPH but the fairing and the whole bike was built for that. (Used to live in Munich where the speed limit on the motorways is oo.)

· Registered
2,678 Posts
My NineT's maximum speed is basically when I chicken out. Around here, on any clean and clear straight roads (not interstates) you need to pay attention to livestock, kids, and dogs roaming around. Not to mention farm implements. Interstate stretches at sunup on sunday might work. All I know is I saw an indicated 90mph, when about ready to shift from 5th to 6th, and was a bit freaked out LOL.

· Administrator
13,759 Posts
Technically, all UK roads are private since they're owned by the Queen I suppose. :D
Try telling that to a speed camera or a traffic cop! lol ;)

Fastest I've ever been was an indicated 180MPH on one of those fantastic autobahns our German friends have! :D

That was on a Suzuki GSXR1100 mind you....

Reactions: Parkblu

· Registered
354 Posts
It seems this topic always comes up, could be a Vespa or Veyron -seems it has to get itself sorted!
I think its cool that someone was able to achieve 139 MPH - however, I don't plan to exceed 120, well maybe 125 if I'm being pursued ;-)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts