BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just how fast is a nine T top speed?

Well, probably too fast for me!

My last scary ride at >220km/h about 20 years ago, was on my '82 1100 Katana without a steering damper. I sworn myself to never do this again on whatever bike.
(ed: at around 170km/h she was nearly rideable though)
Tried out 185km/h with the Urban on a german Autobahn - more could be suicidal for me and I'm too old to die young.
Automotive lighting Font Clock Magenta Circle

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about your 296km/h. There is absolutely no way our NineTs are even getting close to that. The rpm/speed ratio seems wrong here. Not that I’m an engineer who is able to do the math (anybody to the rescue?), but 296 on a motorcycle requires at least 200hp and a huuuge fairing. Think 1000 RR with its 185mph (at 13,000rpm😉): Data & Equipment | 2022 S 1000 RR
It’s weird gentlemen, actually.. I never look down to see how fast I’m going …. I use the GPS to record it and then check it out later …. What’s important to me at the time is not how fast I’m going …but that I'm going as fast as I possibly can …. You hold out, struggling to maintain top speed because you know .. you just know in your heart .. if I twist my wrist just a little tighter I can get one more mile per hour from her. I know I can go a little faster if I can just hold on…. then a really strange thing happens … time begins to slow down, my struggling brain begins to focus and chaos slowly becomes harmony. What was frightening a moment ago suddenly becomes familiar and calm…. easy and expected too. A complete transition of mind and body that renews and invigorates me like nothing else I’ve ever done …. NoWonder why we love it sooooooo !
StayUpOn2 people, GoFast/HaveFunToo …. With a smile, full heart, open eyes and love of life …….. Blitz

·
Registered
2022 R Nine T
329 Posts
Does the boxer engine enjoy it? Probably not in the long run…
My GS1200 LC was running great after a blast at 120mph for about 5 minutes on the German autobahn a few years ago.
I think it got hot enough to blow all the loose carbon off the cat and exhaust system. Don't they call it an Italian tune up?

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
My GS1200 LC was running great after a blast at 120mph for about 5 minutes on the German autobahn a few years ago.
I think it got hot enough to blow all the loose carbon off the cat and exhaust system. Don't they call it an Italian tune up?
Sure, that’s why in the package with all Italian machinery, Luigi comes on speed dial.
Large Boxer engines just don’t enjoy that kind of treatment.

“You can’t treat a car like a human. A car needs love and affection” (Jeremy Clarkson, or Walther Röhrl, or whoever came first)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think it got hot enough to blow all the loose carbon off the cat and exhaust system.
I've done this frequently in my early days in Berlin, where you always had the city traffic. A solution was our former race track "AVUS",
that became the only Autobahn in (closed up) Berlin with no speed limits for 10km one way. Called "frei blasen" (don't want to translate this 😇 )

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Just how fast is a nine T top speed?

Well, probably too fast for me!

My last scary ride at >220km/h about 20 years ago, was on my '82 1100 Katana without a steering damper. I sworn myself to never do this again on whatever bike.
Tried out 185km/h with the Urban on a german Autobahn - more could be suicidal for me and I'm too old to die young.
View attachment 158453
@UGS_Tom .. I read these threads about people removing their dampeners on this site and I just shake my head ….. will it make maneuvering around pylon’s in a parking lot easier and quicker …. YES it will ! Will it get you killed when centrifugal forces throw you into a tank slapper at 120+ YES ! ….My logic steps in and I think … people have been UpOn2 for a long time now…. Designing bikes for years and years now, smart people.. much smarter than me. They want you to get the full potential of their machines so you’ll buy them. Why would they go to the trouble to put dampeners on the bikes if it served no purpose? They wouldn’t. It’s to expensive … I just think to my self.. almost 200,000 BMW’s sold in 2021 … maybe costs them $15 bucks for each dampener they buy … so in 2021 BMW invested (approximately) $3,000,000.00 Dollars on dampeners for no reason ??? Come on ! ……………………… if adjusted properly ….. can’t hurt you a bit but when you need it… could save your life …. YES ! … read up on it Riders, please! .. StayInOnePiece ..……….. Blitz
…. Those German Engineers don’t do anything that isn’t necessary PEROID !

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
@UGS_Tom .. I read these threads about people removing their dampeners on this site and I just shake my head ….. will it make maneuvering around pylon’s in a parking lot easier and quicker …. YES it will ! Will it get you killed when centrifugal forces throw you into a tank slapper at 120+ YES ! ….My logic steps in and I think … people have been UpOn2 for a long time now…. Designing bikes for years and years now, smart people.. much smarter than me. They want you to get the full potential of their machines so you’ll buy them. Why would they go to the trouble to put dampeners on the bikes if it served no purpose? They wouldn’t. It’s to expensive … I just think to my self.. almost 200,000 BMW’s sold in 2021 … maybe costs them $15 bucks for each dampener they buy … so in 2021 BMW invested (approximately) $3,000,000.00 Dollars on dampeners for no reason ??? Come on ! ……………………… if adjusted properly ….. can’t hurt you a bit but when you need it… could save your life …. YES ! … read up on it Riders, please! .. StayInOnePiece ..……….. Blitz
@BlitzSchnell: He was on an ‘82 Katana, (which means Samurai sword)
It was one of those sexy but very dangerous widow makers back in the days, just like the 350 2-strokes, the CBX 1000, first-gen VMax etc.
Suspension wasn’t too much of a focus for those. One reason BMWs always were considered “boring”.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's for sure! I noticed those threads (also in german forums) as well. Since I Iive near Hannover and driving in the city as well, I'd no issues with the damper.
Not often needed but if needed, you'll be glad to have one. If it's too strong - you're too weak 😄
Once I read that BMW made tests and afterwards decided to go with it!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
How naive and ignorantly brave we were … what with NO mode switch, armored jackets or traction control.
How did we survive ? ……………. So spoiled today, getting further and further from the feel of the road under us and more and more dependent on new tech-toys to StayUpOn2. I guess it’s good … bikes are going faster and faster so I dare not complain, I like fast but I like the feel every bit as much….. my hands, my feet, my butt all connect to the bike … it becomes an extension of me …and the more I ride the better I get at pressing my will into my machine. It’s always an exchange … a mutual admiration society with respect. I think for me and perhaps some of you … I also had a huge portion of plain-ol-LadyLuck sitting on my shoulders. A late 60’s Kawa Tripple tried several times to kill me in numerous high school drag races … at 100 on that machine was just crazy… so quick for it’s time. Me AND the bike weighed less than my 9T alone. Crazy, I was just crazy … ! My destiny awaits, OnwardThruTheFog ……as fast as I can …………….. Blitz

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
Your prim reduction shows 1.7, while mine for the scrambler is showing 2.91...
Found this just for you, @Chopper_Bob : your countryman Max on a RR:

Notice 2 things:
1.) how long it takes from 250km/h (155mph) to 300 (186mph). The exponential wind resistance is really what’s requiring the extra 100 hp. (That’s also why the Bugatti Veyron and other hypercars need 1000 hp to get to 400km/h)
2.) the RR’s redline is~double of our RNineTs (so maybe that why it’s called doubleR?!?) 🤓

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
I think motorcycles are one reason I'm not as impressed as some people with many automobiles' 0-60 mph (or 0-100 km/h) times. In the right hands, an R9T is capable of 0-60 in 3 to 3.5 seconds (depending on which website or source you cite). That can embarrass most performance cars costing 5-10 times what my Pure cost me brand new. ;)

I don't know what the top speed is on a R9T. I've had mine up to 120-125 indicated (which is pretty accurate by the way), and that's more than fast enough for me. At anything over 110 it feels like the wind is trying to separate me from my machine, and that's even behind tucked down as close as I can get to the fuel tank.

As for the steering damper, I had no complaints with the OEM unit, but I have considered buying an adjustable aftermarket unit. Maybe something for my Christmas list!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
I think motorcycles are one reason I'm not as impressed as some people with many automobiles' 0-60 mph (or 0-100 km/h) times. In the right hands, an R9T is capable of 0-60 in 3 to 3.5 seconds (depending on which website or source you cite). That can embarrass most performance cars costing 5-10 times what my Pure cost me brand new. ;)

I don't know what the top speed is on a R9T. I've had mine up to 120-125 indicated (which is pretty accurate by the way), and that's more than fast enough for me. At anything over 110 it feels like the wind is trying to separate me from my machine, and that's even behind tucked down as close as I can get to the fuel tank.

As for the steering damper, I had no complaints with the OEM unit, but I have considered buying an adjustable aftermarket unit. Maybe something for my Christmas list!
You are ever so correct @TimC … I have embarrassed many a cager during hard acceleration … I surprise myself at how well she (Blitz) maintains a nice comfortable straight line with the front wheel about a foot off the ground… many times deep into second gear before she drops back down. Then from around 50/60 if someone acts like they want to run Blitz shoots off like a rocket… strong all the way deep into 100 ..not much keeps up … in fact that’s when most give up … by that time I’m 3/4 of a mile ahead of them and long gone in traffic …. ………… me and Blitz love to RatRace ………………. Blitz

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
You are ever so correct @TimC … I have embarrassed many a cager during hard acceleration … I surprise myself at how well she (Blitz) maintains a nice comfortable straight line with the front wheel about a foot off the ground… many times deep into second gear before she drops back down. Then from around 50/60 if someone acts like they want to run Blitz shoots off like a rocket… strong all the way deep into 100 ..not much keeps up … in fact that’s when most give up … by that time I’m 3/4 of a mile ahead of them and long gone in traffic …. ………… me and Blitz love to RatRace ………………. Blitz
I don't want to give folks the wrong impression. I don't pull triple digits often. Short, occasional bursts can be fun and quite exhilarating, but t's just potentially too expensive for my wallet and -- depending on the temperament of the officer who would stop me -- too risky to end up in handcuffs in the backseat of a patrol car. :(

Luckily for me, my Pure also handles decently in the twisties (my favorite kind of riding), where it can embarrass some performance cars as well. Of course there is some risk there to me and the bike, but less risk of 'awards' from LEOs. I'm not the quickest bloke, but the bike is pretty capable, especially for what it is (a fairly low-tech modern retro roadster) and what it isn't (a high-tech scalpel like that S1000RR in the video above).

Anyway, my point is the R9T is fast enough for most people, including me. :)

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
251 Posts
While I love my R9T it seems to run out of steam when getting up over 110mph. There is one spot on my commute where you can safely pass multiple slow moving cars and the R9T takes much longer and at a lower ending speed than my Supra.

I've been thinking of getting something faster and a local shop has $2,500 off a 22 Speed Triple and you can get 1.9% interest I think so, I may look at that this weekend.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
While I love my R9T it seems to run out of steam when getting up over 110mph. There is one spot on my commute where you can safely pass multiple slow moving cars and the R9T takes much longer and at a lower ending speed than my Supra.

I've been thinking of getting something faster and a local shop has $2,500 off a 22 Speed Triple and you can get 1.9% interest I think so, I may look at that this weekend.
I'm guessing the inline 6 Supra? Sweet ride! I'd love to get one of the new manuals, but they're out of my price range - and that's before the inevitable dealer markup.

Sounds like a pretty good deal on the Triumph, especially the finance rate!

This isn't directed at you, @GenericUser1 , but to any prospective R9T buyers who stumble upon this thread while trying to make a purchase decision. I don't think anyone should buy an R9T thinking they're getting a truly fast bike. Quick maybe, but not really fast. It's good off the line due to the torque of the boxer twin, but modern liter bikes like the S1000RR, R1, CBR, etc. will embarrass an R9T in the 1/4-mile and top speed. (Handling, too, unless an R9T's suspension has been upgraded.) I think GenericUser1's observation about passing cars on an R9T demonstrates that.

All that being said, my 2020 Pure will do 70+ mph in 2nd gear. That ain't too shabby. ;)

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
251 Posts
I'm guessing the inline 6 Supra? Sweet ride! I'd love to get one of the new manuals, but they're be out of my price range - and that's before the inevitable dealer markup.

Sounds like a pretty good deal on the Triumph, especially the finance rate!

This isn't directed at you, @GenericUser1 , but to any prospective R9T buyers who stumble upon this thread while trying to make a purchase decision. I don't think anyone should buy an R9T thinking they're getting a truly fast bike. Quick maybe, but not really fast. It's good off the line due to the torque of the boxer twin, but modern liter bikes like the S1000RR, R1, CBR, etc. will embarrass an R9T in the 1/4-mile and top speed. (Handling, too, unless an R9T's suspension has been upgraded.) I think GenericUser1's observation about passing cars on an R9T demonstrates that.

All that being said, my 2020 Pure will do 70+ mph in 2nd gear. That ain't too shabby. ;)
Yep 3.0 premium. I lucked out and got one in April of 21 when you could get really good deals, I ended up at almost $8k under MSRP. Can sell it now for more than I paid.

I love the way the R9T looks and also got a good deal in January 2021 on a used one and it is a great bike for me since I was returning to riding. Between it and the Monkey I've put about 12k miles on a bike so I'm feeling very comfortable riding again a pining a bit for more power. The thing that would keep me from it other than I enjoy the R9T is dreading returning it back to stock and trying to sell all the parts.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts