BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
While I love my R9T it seems to run out of steam when getting up over 110mph. There is one spot on my commute where you can safely pass multiple slow moving cars and the R9T takes much longer and at a lower ending speed than my Supra.

I've been thinking of getting something faster and a local shop has $2,500 off a 22 Speed Triple and you can get 1.9% interest I think so, I may look at that this weekend.
I’d like to add to this conversation …. You get what you pay for ! …and not just at the point of sale. Dependability ,. Especially when it comes to motorcycles .. is (to me) VERY important. TR’s are amazing, I’ve had several Bonnie’s … in my opinion …they don’t handle, done ride, and frankly don’t perform like any BMW built. If your headed for the track there are many many motorcycles out there that will kick Beemers and TR’s ass. Three cylinder TR’s have been around about 30 years … BMW twin boxers over 90 years. It’s like apples & oranges they are very different packages and not much to actually compare but two wheels. If 110 on a motorcycle isn’t fast enough for you … you probably haven’t gone down on a bike and kissed the pavement at 100 or so or you wouldn’t say that’s not very fast … I go 100 daily on Blitz as a practicing ritual … I regularly punch 130 with out issue .., at 135+ she begins to get a light front end and keeping her between the lines on the highway begins to be a challenge, I’ve done this with the death grip on a locked throttle for over 20 minutes at a time and a gust of wind can push you over two lanes before you can do anything about it, and yes at 130 she’s very close to all out … maybe 140 with the wind down hill on a good day … my all out speed by my GPS was 138 .. I’m thinking if the problem your having with your 9T is a top speed of around say 110 (easy) may it’s time for a tune up ….. but if road speeds in excess of 110 are the issue … better take it to the track and off the highway …. I rode a tripple very recently and if comfort and balance are an issue …..
Ride one … you’ll see. Apples/Oranges ….. for me … it’s BMW hands down.
… just for grins, do some tight turns and figure eights, in close maneuvers at slow speeds, do some close circles and then tell me how the two compare …. There’s NO comparison ! That TR is SOOO top heavy .,. Don’t let it lean to far or you’ll drop it .. I DID ! ……… and at $21K that’s an expensive scratch… right Norbi ?………Blitz

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
That TR is SOOO top heavy .,. Don’t let it lean to far or you’ll drop it .. I DID ! ……… and at $21K that’s an expensive scratch… right Norbi ?………Blitz
I have no idea, never sat on or dropped a TR. You did?

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
251 Posts
Looked at the speed triple rs and it’s either cash off or financing not both.

I’m not interested in going insane speeds on the road just making a multi car pass as quickly as possible so I’m back in the right lane.

If I’m just going to cruise around I ride my Monkey. Rode it today to the dealer and at the road speeds allowed I probably had more fun on it than I would have the R9T.

TBH an MT-10 would probably be best and is only $14k but that front end… I’ll wait a bit and see next spring

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Looked at the speed triple rs and it’s either cash off or financing not both.

I’m not interested in going insane speeds on the road just making a multi car pass as quickly as possible so I’m back in the right lane.

If I’m just going to cruise around I ride my Monkey. Rode it today to the dealer and at the road speeds allowed I probably had more fun on it than I would have the R9T.

TBH an MT-10 would probably be best and is only $14k but that front end… I’ll wait a bit and see next spring
I feel like my 9T is pretty quick off the line… if I sit on the tank and clutch it just enough to keep the front wheel close to the ground ….. I’ve only been beaten by other bigger motorcycles after an easy 1/2 mile went by… including a very large fella on a Hayabusa. He ran away after a 1/2 mile leaving me in his dust. BUT … I exploded out of the hole and gave him a run he didn’t expect … he was certainly surprised… so was I !
The point … you should be able to explode (small wheelie) and jump 5 cars in a heart beat …. in the distances your talking about and with the torque and horsepower you should have, … and ….at the speeds you’ll be working in ..(35mph to maybe 100).. seems to me you’d be hard pressed to do better than your 9T. Maybe you just need a tune-up ………… I got my 9T in 2015. She’s a Classic and I’m still falling in love …. but not everybody has a romance that lasts a lifetime …. If it turns out that 110mph in traffic isn’t quick enough let us all know what you end up with and just how much faster it turned out to be …. BeWell and StayUpOn2 ….anytwo…………….. Blitz

Reactions: TimC

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
I have no idea, never sat on or dropped a TR. You did?
Yep @Norbi …. Got a shoe lace hung up on some thing…. Stopped at a light, Fell over hard … Really bruised my leg too …. Very embarrassing ! …Seems now that I think about it …. At one time or another ..for one reason or another … I’ve dropped every bike I’ve ever owned (and even one I didn’t)… Blitz went down for the first time in a gas station when I thought I had properly deployed the kickstand … but … Uh Oh ! ….. down I went … now 7 years later she’s been rolled over on both sides, standing still three more times ….
That’s interesting … seems like I’m finding a pattern here ! Maybe if I just don’t stop or stand still then I won’t fall down ? I wonder if a third wheel would help ? Hahaha …………… Blitz

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
251 Posts
R9T is fine off the line I'm speaking of 60-120 from either 3rd or 4th to pass a few cars on two lane roads. It's no slouch, it's a great bike and the fairing I added makes higher speeds easy. Not sure that I will sell it as I can't seem to find a dealer with any of the bikes I'm interested in allowing test rides.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
R9T is fine off the line I'm speaking of 60-120 from either 3rd or 4th to pass a few cars on two lane roads. It's no slouch, it's a great bike and the fairing I added makes higher speeds easy. Not sure that I will sell it as I can't seem to find a dealer with any of the bikes I'm interested in allowing test rides.
I go through some seriously thick and somewhat ignorant traffic here in Texas and I ask my motorcycle to perform strong and she does every time. People here in the states treat motorcycle traffic with prejudice, cagers are NOT friendly or courteous. For me and what I’m dealing with Blitz offers me the perfect balance and her performance between 0 and 90 is stellar …. I run off and hide from almost all other motos and definitely all other cagers. Now … granted I haven’t come up against some 1000+ HP super car but ordinary traffic …. Doesn’t stand a chance. Im fixed ! I have exactly the proportions I need, weight, HP, torque, top speed, height. For my body size and strength Blitz is my match. I hope you find yours Mate ! GoodHunting !
……………………. Blitz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not much into "how fast does it go mister". The low down torque though. Oh yes sir. More than fast enough for my talents. Not sure whereabouts of the countries the videos were taken. But. Clear roads? No roadworks? No average speed restrictions? Certainly not filmed in UK. As Casey Stoner (motogp champ) said. Don't let your ambitions outweigh your talent.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
Not much into "how fast does it go mister". The low down torque though. Oh yes sir. More than fast enough for my talents. Not sure whereabouts of the countries the videos were taken. But. Clear roads? No roadworks? No average speed restrictions? Certainly not filmed in UK. As Casey Stoner (motogp champ) said. Don't let your ambitions outweigh your talent.
Speed: 100% legal
Clear road: I didn’t see any obstructions there
No roadworks: nope, they would be announced by signs and a speed limit
Talent: gets trained very thoroughly in driving schools (excessive theory ed, ~30 costly practice hours with a pro, followed by 1 year with a parent, then probation time after passing the test at 18, 40% fail the test in the first attempt etc)
Statistics: Deadly accidents in Germany caused by “too high speed” on the (~50%) unrestricted parts of the Autobahn: ~120 people p.a., consistently. Not bad for a 80 million population.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Speed: 100% legal
Clear road: I didn’t see any obstructions there
No roadworks: nope, they would be announced by signs and a speed limit
Talent: gets trained very thoroughly in driving schools (excessive theory ed, ~30 costly practice hours with a pro, followed by 1 year with a parent, then probation time after passing the test at 18, 40% fail the test in the first attempt etc)
Statistics: Deadly accidents in Germany caused by “too high speed” on the (~50%) unrestricted parts of the Autobahn: ~120 people p.a., consistently. Not bad for a 80 million population.
No criticism intended. I just can't believe the empty roads! UK standard of driving is abysmal at best. That's putting it politely. There are stretches and places where roads are clear in the UK, but they are getting rare. We now have people who have dash cams who are giving this to police. Speed doesn't kill. Bad driving does though

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
No criticism intended. I just can't believe the empty roads! UK standard of driving is abysmal at best. That's putting it politely. There are stretches and places where roads are clear in the UK, but they are getting rare. We now have people who have dash cams who are giving this to police. Speed doesn't kill. Bad driving does though

Yep, your own JC has made that clear years ago😂. Now, to find an empty stretch on an unlimited Autobahn like the one in the video becomes challenging, esp during office hours. But, the other day, some rich dude from the Czech Republic came over with his Bugatti Chiron and filmed himself going 417 kph/259mph. Nice German car, btw😉

Somebody decided to file a lawsuit against him for reckless driving. After a little while, the judge decided he did nothing wrong and didn‘t endanger anyone.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Yep, your own JC has made that clear years ago😂. Now, to find an empty stretch on an unlimited Autobahn like the one in the video becomes challenging, esp during office hours. But, the other day, some rich dude from the Czech Republic came over with his Bugatti Chiron and filmed himself going 417 kph/259mph. Nice German car, btw😉

Somebody decided to file a lawsuit against him for reckless driving. After a little while, the judge decided he did nothing wrong and didn‘t endanger anyone.
WOW! It also seems your justice system has common sense (y)

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
...Just keep in mind all you "Speed racers", the MPH Gauge is factory set @ 5 MPH faster than you are actually going...
@hankgs with all due respect, but you’d first have to go through the entire thread to learn about the scientific (!) evidence provided that your statement is not quite correct😉 Enjoy!

101 - 120 of 121 Posts