BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All!

Quick question, would the Diablo Full System Formula Exhaust for BMW R9T fit my 2018 R9T Scrmabler?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my K-Speed Exhaust (from placing the order to arriving at my door steps, was less than a week). FYI, you’ll get charged Import Duty Tax, but for me it wasn’t terrible ($50 USD). The quality is good and fitment of the header and cones was spot on.

There are two things as Raincityrider mentioned, first, they don’t provide you with a screw that joins two mounting hardware, and second, I struggled with was getting the middle “triangle” part to align. Thanks to Raincityrider for some tips, I managed to get it on there with a thinner screw and force it’s way through. It looks a little awkward under there, but it’s on there solid.

As for noise, I am coming from a catless Akropavic header and the OEM “shotgun style” Akropavic cans (with the flapper and muffler inserts removed). That sounded great, but it was missing that “deep” tone I wanted.

The K-Speed exhaust is insanely loud. Now, you “should” wear earplugs in general due to the wind noise. With K-Speed you “MUST” wear earplugs. With earplugs all is well and still sounds fantastic. My favorite sound is between the 3000-4700RPM range – a very deep throaty sound. Anything above the 5,000rpm range, then it sounds like my old Akro. Setup .. only louder.

Here is a video (the first 4 or so minutes is just me talking about the exhaust). The audio clip starts at minute 04:45

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice job on the video! Captures the experience perfectly. Funny thing is that I thought I would do a whole unboxing and install video, but when I saw the box I was too excited to slow down and take the time 🤣

·
Registered
69 Posts
@starman - Great video and all super helpful info! Thanks so much for making this. I have been eyeing this exhaust since I got my R9T and trying to sort out the look i want for my bike. super helpful....thanks!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ugh! Welp, i've only ridden the bike once since i installed it (when I made the video) and at most only drove it 40 miles that day. The center balance pipe is already flaking and bubbling. Maybe the front tires picked up some tiny rocks, but still, this is very disappointing.

I reached out to K-Speed and they said they've never seen this happen, they offered a partial refund , which would just barely cover the cost of getting it prep'd and properly ceramic coated by a professional here. But just a warning for those looking into this product.

I removed the item and have put my Akropavic Catless Headers and muffler back on in the meantime while I figure out what to do.

·
Registered
2017 r9t classic
9 Posts
Ugh! Welp, i've only ridden the bike once since i installed it (when I made the video) and at most only drove it 40 miles that day. The center balance pipe is already flaking and bubbling. Maybe the front tires picked up some tiny rocks, but still, this is very disappointing.

I reached out to K-Speed and they said they've never seen this happen, they offered a partial refund , which would just barely cover the cost of getting it prep'd and properly ceramic coated by a professional here. But just a warning for those looking into this product.

I removed the item and have put my Akropavic Catless Headers and muffler back on in the meantime while I figure out what to do.

Great vid @starman - I was just about to pull the trigger and buy one until I read your update! Think this is a faulty one-off or has anyone else experiences this?

·
Administrator
12,389 Posts
I reached out to K-Speed and they said they've never seen this happen, they offered a partial refund , which would just barely cover the cost of getting it prep'd and properly ceramic coated by a professional here.
I would have expected an offer of a full refund and for them to cover return shipping. Or failing that a BIG refund percentage to cover you for having organise ceramic coating for it and to compensate you for the time, effort and inconvenience this will cause you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
IMO, a partial refund just does not cut it.
If they have a "no refund" policy then ask them for a replacement with a RA (return authorization) and shipping costs to cover the return of the defective item.
If they refuse, then convey to them that your due diligence will entail warning future buyers of the possibility of getting a defective product.
BTW, the pics show more of a "peeling" effect and less of a "stone chip" effect.
You may want to fit a crud catcher (I have done so) just to ensure that stone chips will not hit the cross pipe and chest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alright, after much back and forth emailing with K-Speed we worked something out to my satisfaction. I will say K-Speed does respond quickly and have taken responsibility (they say they’re in talks with the company that manufactures them as K-Speed I think only designed it), so I’ll give them props to that and have nothing negative to say about them.

I’m really hoping it’s just me that has the bad luck (maybe bad batch or something) because it’s quite the hassle to get stuff sorted when a company is at the opposite side of the world in a completely different time zone.

It looks like the header is just bare steel (I doubt this thing is stainless), if that is the case (as I’m not 100% sure), it’s something that would rust (at least where I live) in the area where the paint has flaked off if left untreated. Removing the original paint and getting it recoated properly would resolve this issue of course.

That said, I won’t be installing it back on and have put it in the classifieds.

I hated to report this on the forum, but I know many people have looked into this exhaust without knowing too much about it. I know there's at least 2 members on here (maybe more) that have this exhaust. It be great if they chimed in to give their report and hopefully it's positive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I am really leaning towards getting that K-Speed exhaust. I also noticed that it has the Trucklite 7" headlight... need to see if there is an install guide here somewhere.
Installing the K-speed exhaust is dead easy. I guess you mean an install guide for the headlight...anyway in case you need some detailed pictures of the exhaust installation just let me know. And my opinion is, definitely install the skid-plate as well🙏🙏🙏

81 - 93 of 93 Posts