BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of us I've customized or personalized the motorcycles that I have owned. Strangely with the exception of adding engine guards I have no desire to change my R Nine T. I just like it as stock.

Just curious is there other folks who feel the same way?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like most of us I've customized or personalized the motorcycles that I have owned. Strangely with the exception of adding engine guards I have no desire to change my R Nine T. I just like it as stock.

Just curious is there other folks who feel the same way?
Yep, usually once I take delivery little changes with one exception ... I have an ancient set of f/glass panniers that move from bike to bike (even sports bikes get to carry them). When my new 21 R9T arrives this coming week I'll be designing brackets. Mount them ridged, low, and forward. Some laughed at this bag incarnation, too bad, it's practical.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2021 BMW R9T Pure
30 Posts
Yes! It's a beautiful bike as is! I only added functional custom parts: bar raisers, foot peg lowers, engine guards and windshield.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They are great bikes in stock form, they are nicely simple, well thought out and meet the needs & desires of many. Some individuals (myself included) feel the need to spend money (sometimes lotsa money) on trinkets and non performing performance things. Heck! There's a whole industry and business model out there set up just to take money for a few nonsense things (that do nothing) to add or replace on this basic mode of transportation just so it is personalized or its "customized" and I say "Have At It"!!! I've got a bunch of bikes and have found myself getting into my older (pre 2006) bikes and bringing them back to bone stock bikes, I appreciate the form and function along with the flaws that bubbled up after the production run. You have to ask "Have you ever seen a bone stock BMW R 9 Tee"? show me a picture.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21
170 Posts
Some bikes are amazing stock. While others beg to be modified for each persons liking. The 2021 comes with some niceties that our pre-2021's don't have. LED lighting is a biggie, so those of us with pre-21 models like to personalize our bikes to fit our needs and personalities. I have a taller torso than most, but a short inseam--so the stock ergonomics don't fit me well, so I've added handlebar risers. I changed to an LED headlight, added yellow aux lighting for better visibility, etc.

I'm glad you are content with your bike in stock form. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Stock bikes are nice.. but i also like costumizing it.. Most parts i added are functional. Handguards, skidplate, engine guards, better suspension etc..
I think the modifications dont make the bike stray too far away from "stock"

But with some minor modifications you can give the bike a whole other look.. for example:

Stock

Changed to:

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
154 Posts
Stock is boring! It is nice to make it your own! and some of the mods are driven by wanting to be able to travel further than just "around the block"...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it depends what you mean. I have no intention of making mechanical mods, even alternate exhaust. But I must have saddle bags, a luggage rack, and a windshield because I like multi-day touring and need to bring stuff with me. In fact, I had to make sure there were reasonable options for those things before I actually ordered my UGS. So I feel like I'll be accessorizing it more than modifying it (when it gets here, next spring).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yep, usually once I take delivery little changes with one exception ... I have an ancient set of f/glass panniers that move from bike to bike (even sports bikes get to carry them). When my new 21 R9T arrives this coming week I'll be designing brackets. Mount them ridged, low, and forward. Some laughed at this bag incarnation, too bad, it's practical. View attachment 147507
Just a few minor changes cosmetically, but Hyperpro springs do make a difference to the ride, as for 'old' panniers..

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

These are from my '83 R65ls and are going to the Isle of Man in the morning for a quick visit.

HG

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's for functional or ergonomic requirements, fair enough. Otherwise, to me, the vast majority look like they been messed about with according to a doodle done by an 8 year old school kid not paying attention in class.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
154 Posts
Although if you look what Arjen van der Boom does with these bikes!!!

:love::love:

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it's for functional or ergonomic requirements, fair enough. Otherwise, to me, the vast majority look like they been messed about with according to a doodle done by an 8 year old school kid not paying attention in class.
:D

Thats me all grown up! 20 year graphic designer / illustrator in the house! I paid attention, but I was always doodling on my quizes and homework. Actually no thats a lie, I never did my homework.

I have received some "Critical" feedback about my wannabe pelican case by people who have said it doesn't go with the rest of the colors of the bike. But whatever they only have to look at my back side for a few seconds.

I actually disagree with this observation, IMO, most modifications look like they're designed by middle managers with no experience using color, form or context. I'd love it if BMW let a group of 8 year olds design some bikes. We might get something fresh for a change.

Water Sky Tire Wheel Plant

·
Registered
The fleet...F800gt 9T ‘classic’ Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
107 Posts
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I’ve seen so many played about bikes that are truly tasteless and the owners would be heartbroken if you told them they’ve just ruined a fantastic already thought about bit of bike.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,581 Posts
I'm a fan of mostly stock cars and motorcycles. I didn't modify my old Honda VFR 800 much, but it didn't need much either. But I've done way more on my R9T, and most mods have been functional. If they happen to look good, too, so be it. ;)

That being said, if the stock machine works for you, great! These are great machines to customize but that doesn't mean it's really necessary in some cases. There's no harm in keeping the machine mostly OEM.

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
80 Posts
I never "customized" anything to my R850R, and I kept my pure completely stock for a year till it was vandalized and I had the opportunity to get a new paint job, also added some cylinder guards, always wanted bar end mirrors (gotta admit imho those stock mirrors are hideous)... and I can see why so many people get mod fever. It's fun to try to make your bike aesthetically unique, but also all too easy to over do it. All of the R Nine T models are beautiful as is. I don't really see myself doing much else save for a suspension upgrade if I can afford it some day.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
820 Posts
everything I changed on my classic was with genuine B.M.W. accesories with the exception of bar end mirrors and foot pegs. I went with rizoma and machined my own adapters to fit. I installed the euro tail lite and akropovic titanium header. I also installed front turn signals on rear as they are shorter. probably done for now with changes. Just riding the hell out of it😁

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
everything I changed on my classic was with genuine B.M.W. accesories with the exception of bar end mirrors and foot pegs. I went with rizoma and machined my own adapters to fit. I installed the euro tail lite and akropovic titanium header. I also installed front turn signals on rear as they are shorter. probably done for now with changes. Just riding the hell out of it😁
If I was going to put accessories on my bike I would go with genuine BMW parts. With my Moto Guzzi V7 I tried as much as possible to go with genuine parts but the prices were either insanely expensive or not available. Another thing about accessories are vendors just plastering their name or logo on the parts. I just think it hurts the overall look of the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered my new UGS about a month ago now, and just received my first
Accessory today, after reading some reports on here I ordered an evotech tail tidy as the original looks terrible.
Just need a bike to fit it to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts