BMW NineT Forum banner

281 - 300 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
us posted. I was just about to order a set of Kineos, after agonizing over a set of BST’s. Did you get these from Brock in the USA? Did
I got them from Classic Bike Raisch.. Didn't have to pay GST when entering Australia which was good!
Went for 5.5 as they're lighter than a 6" with 190/200 tyre and unsprung weight reduction was one of the main reasons for going for these wheels, rather than looks alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wheels finally turned up! Although have run into a but of a hiccup.
On the rear it looks like they may have supplied the wrong size spacer. It looks to be about 2-3mm smaller than the OEM item. As a result, the bolts fowl on the ABS sensor.

Reading through this thread I see others had issues with the front, but I'm talking about the rear here.
Both the factory bolts and the ones Kineo sent are exactly the same length.
I could simply grind down 2-3mm off the bolts, but the wheel would then sit 2-3mm off center (to the swingarm side.

Anyone else experience this?
Mine went on without any hitches. I got them from acewell in Germany and was very clear about my model and year while ordering. Acewell has super nice service, they were open to negotiation and I saved a bit in the sales tax shipping to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, looks like mine also came via Acewell. They've sent me the CAD drawings for me to measure everything up. Looking from the back, you can see the wheel sits slightly off centre (more to the right). Only a few mm in it, but want to be sure.

Once my paddock stand arrives, I'll take off the rear wheel and take some measurements.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, There's $2800 USD flung into the ether..

Just ordered the Kineo wheels, 5.5 rear because I love my Ilmberger hugger too much to take it off, and Baldy Dave says it might not work with the 6" rear.

I was going to wait for fall, but I think I just did anyway. Brock performance has no idea when the wheels will arrive. In the meantime, I'll just keep wearing down my OEM tires and hoping I don't pick up a nail 100 miles from home.

Black hubs and nipples, but silver spokes and rim, because everyone knows that motorcycles are supposed to have silver wheels.

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got an email from Brock’s, my wheels are on the way. Ordered 4/25, should have them Monday 6/29, so 9 weeks plus two days from order to doorstep. Not so bad, considering what was going on in April in Italy. Very excited to get them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bikehps is located in the UK. Is it still cheaper after they ship the wheels to the USA? Might be .

For silver wheels and spokes, gloss black hubs and nipples, 5.5” rear:

bikehps.com $2210 USD, no VAT required, no delivery
Brock’s $2780 USD delivered

So as long as the shipping is less than $570, and there are no import duties, then bikehps.com might indeed be cheaper.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Brock's latest Kineo wheels price are higher now.
It's $3310.15 for my configuration on Brock's. 17x3.5 F & 17x6 R, matte black rims, black 90 degree air valves, silver spokes, gloss gold nipples and hubs. There's also $280.26 in sales taxes and $80 shipping charge on Brock's performance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow! That’s a huge increase. I paid extra for silver rims, but you would be paying extra for the 6” rear, so I guess it’s apples to apples.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually 5.5 or 6" is only $100 in difference. Ordering oversea you will most likely paid duties and state taxes too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actually 5.5 or 6" is only $100 in difference. Ordering oversea you will most likely paid duties and state taxes too.
polished silver rims were $45 extra each, so it’s almost a wash with your 6” rear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have an enquiry in to English dealership HPS for a set of KINEOs to my spec, including shipping.. Without shipping, from their (excellent) website I'll be up for GBP1956 VAT-free, or AUD$3527.

I'll share it here when received, even though I'm now pretty much committed to a DIY sealing of the rims, a sort-of poor-man's Outex conversion.

·
Registered
644 Posts
HPS has sent a very swift, helpful, and detailed reply to my enquiry of only 24 hours ago. In short, with silver rims and spokes, gloss black hubs and spoke-ends, 3.5" and 5.5" rims, the cost (VAT is excluded for me as a non-EU resident) would be GBP1780.46 plus shipping GBP210.93 - grand total of GBP1991.39 or AUD$3602.82, or USD$2477. I can afford that, but whether I want to afford that is another matter.

I've replied with my slightly amended specs (originally I wanted gloss gold hubs and spoke-ends, but now want it to be Plain Jane simple), and asked for confirmation of my calculations on their ordering form. I hope I haven't screwed-up my arithmetic!

I'll advise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HPS has sent a very swift, helpful, and detailed reply to my enquiry of only 24 hours ago. In short, with silver rims and spokes, gloss black hubs and spoke-ends, 3.5" and 5.5" rims, the cost (VAT is excluded for me as a non-EU resident) would be GBP1780.46 plus shipping GBP210.93 - grand total of GBP1991.39 or AUD$3602.82, or USD$2477. I can afford that, but whether I want to afford that is another matter.

I've replied with my slightly amended specs (originally I wanted gloss gold hubs and spoke-ends, but now want it to be Plain Jane simple), and asked for confirmation of my calculations on their ordering form. I hope I haven't screwed-up my arithmetic!

I'll advise.
Did that account for gst as well? If so that's basically the same price as the pvm wheels I bit the bullet on recently- it's just a matter of if you prefer spoked or cast wheels. I'd say if you have the money to burn go for it- these bikes have a way of twisting our arms and lightening our wallets.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and have ordered a pair of KINEO wheels, which will save me much lost sleep (will I, won't I?: should I Outex or not?: or DIY or not?: or leave well alone?: etc.)

Communication with HPS has been outstanding, and I have much confidence in them. They tell me that Italy (where the wheels are made) shuts down for the month of August much like most of Europe. But with still over four weeks until that date, and being sure too than KINEO would have plenty of components in stock to make the wheels, I'm not too concerned about that side of things. But as I have found with my recently-ordered taller handlebar (ex Germany) and BOS exhaust (ex the Netherlands), shipping is the real delaying factor here - but nothing I can do about it!

I have decided to keep to the simplistic unadorned style of the R9T itself in choosing the specs for my wheels, which will have polished and clear-coated silver rims and silver spokes, and gloss black hubs and spoke-ends. These combinations should lighten-up the overall appearance of the bike, which with its mass of very dark colours can appear a bit 'heavy' and sombre at times. I'm looking forward too to the reported much lighter 'feel' of the bike and more direct response to steering inputs, which from day one I have found if not actually heavy certainly a bit ponderous, more so than any of the other boxer twins I have owned.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"I have decided to keep to the simplistic unadorned style of the R9T itself in choosing the specs for my wheels, which will have polished and clear-coated silver rims and silver spokes, and gloss black hubs and spoke-ends."

This is widely considered to be the most tasteful color combination.😁

"I'm looking forward too to the reported much lighter 'feel' of the bike and more direct response to steering inputs, which from day one I have found if not actually heavy certainly a bit ponderous, more so than any of the other boxer twins I have owned."

Me too. I found a great improvement by switching to an Ohlins steering damper and just using 5 clicks from full soft. Plenty of damping at the speeds I ride on Vermont 2-lanes. I also increased the rear shock length by about 3mm, which sounds like nothing, but it raises the rear suspension about 8mm and makes a noticeable difference. I'll see how I like the bike with the Kineos, and if it doesn't lighten things further I might raise the forks 5mm.

I assume you stuck with the 5.5" rear for the quicker roll response?

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is widely considered to be the most tasteful color combination.😁
I assume you stuck with the 5.5" rear for the quicker roll response?
'Of course' to both points ;) !

The rear 5.5" tyre clears my rear hugger comfortably on both sides, but I wouldn't want to push it with a wider tyre - besides which I see no practical benefit for the conservative type of riding I do.

Thanks for your response - needless to say I am now impatient about the eta of the wheels!

281 - 300 of 304 Posts