BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry you are dealing with this, Carbold. I bought the Dakar unit this spring and when I submitted my order I was told to wait a week because they ran out of MPH units, but I did read in the thread that this measure could be changed in the settings. Quite confusing, I reckon!
Thanks. My feeling is that in the previous version 2014-16 it was indeed possible to change the units, but it’s not in the new version. I did ask FC-MOTO if they sell specific units to the UK but they didn’t reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
Just got the 2017- version installed on my Urban GS. Looks great, easy to install, lots of new features.
One question though, how do you change the units? Such as mph km/h or MPG to l/100km? And the rev counter red light?
When I enter the set up there are a few limited options....Don't know where to go and the instructions are very basic....
Thanks
Hello Everyone,

This is Reak from Koso Taiwan and I would like to explain the situation, so you could know why we don't have the Km/h & MPH switch for the RnineT after 2017.

All the functions showed on the Koso meter for RnineT after 2017 is from the ECU directly. Actually the speed unit displayed limit is from the ECU because it will send the corresponding signal according to the default setting of your bike. < It means it will be MPH if you are in UK, but it will be km/h when you live in most of the countries.> If you want the meter showed km/h when you live in UK, then the only solution is to ask the local dealer help change the setting ( we did it in Taiwan and ask the dealer help change the bike setting to MPH for us to finish the test.) We show the speed in digital not analog, so we can’t show the Km/h & MPH at the same time like the original meter. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and I hope the answer will help.

P.S. The version for the RnineT before 2017 comes with the speed unit setting, so you could switch the MPH & km/h by yourself. For the details, please read the instruction manual.

Best regards,
Reak

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks very much @Reak Wu for this comprehensive final answer from the manufacturer directly, much appreciated. Who’d have thought? OK, so that basically means that anybody with a RNineT younger than 2017 AND living in the UK (where it’s the law) cannot use that unit, unfortunately. Y’all, out there, keep that in mind.
@carbold I guess it would be fair that you get your ŁŁŁs back, and in this case, you’d have to switch to the Dakar unit (unless anybody here warns that it’s the same issue with that product?) Very interesting and unexpected stuff!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks very much @Reak Wu for this comprehensive final answer from the manufacturer directly, much appreciated. Who’d have thought? OK, so that basically means that anybody with a RNineT younger than 2017 AND living in the UK (where it’s the law) cannot use that unit, unfortunately. Y’all, out there, keep that in mind.
@carbold I guess it would be fair that you get your ŁŁŁs back, and in this case, you’d have to switch to the Dakar unit (unless anybody here warns that it’s the same issue with that product?) Very interesting and unexpected stuff!
A

Dear Norbi,

If you install the Koso meter for RnineT before 2017 < meter A>, then you will get the speed unit setting inside the meter and you could switch it by yourself.

If you install the Koso meter for RnineT 2017~ < meter B>, then you could switch to Km/h but you need to bring your bike to the dealer and ask for their hep to switch the speed setting for you. This is the temporary solution if the customer in UK wants to have the meter show the speed in Km/h not MPH.

I understand your concern, and I will share the questions with our RD engineer to see if they could find the solution for it. If we could solve the problem through the software modification, then I will share the information but maybe you need to send the meter to Koso Europe <Germany> for the software upgrade. We are very sorry that we don't ever think about this problem, and we will do our best to find the solution for it.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
@Reak Wu : I - and I’m sure everyone following this topic - very much appreciate your personal involvement here! A great example for great customer service! 👍

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I’m sorry, great customer service? Really? I bought this KOSO from Germany, the instructions and description on the website said mph and km/h are SWITCHABLE. Now I have a speedo that is ILLEGAL in the UK and I have to send it back to Germany at my expense! How is this good customer service?
I also doubt that taking to the dealer works. I myself plugged the GS911 in the diagnostic port and the speed setting on my bike was already km/h! That setting is just a setup to show the data. In any case, take the bike to the dealer? Really KOSO? I am speechless

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Reak Wu if you are able to fix the problem by firmware upgrade, then I will need to know as soon as possible, because I have only a 30 day window to return the DL-04 to the seller in Germany

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Reak Wu if you are able to fix the problem by firmware upgrade, then I will need to know as soon as possible, because I have only a 30 day window to return the DL-04 to the seller in Germany
Dear Carbold :

We are sorry to bring you the troubles, and I understand there should be no excuse for it.

If this is not acceptable for you, please returned the meter because we can't do anything in our side now for it. I will ask our colleague in Koso Europe stop selling the meter to UK unless the customer could accept the meter could showed only in MPH before the improvement is done.

Sorry for all the inconvenience.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
226 Posts
I’m sorry, great customer service? Really? I bought this KOSO from Germany, the instructions and description on the website said mph and km/h are SWITCHABLE. Now I have a speedo that is ILLEGAL in the UK and I have to send it back to Germany at my expense! How is this good customer service?
I also doubt that taking to the dealer works. I myself plugged the GS911 in the diagnostic port and the speed setting on my bike was already km/h! That setting is just a setup to show the data. In any case, take the bike to the dealer? Really KOSO? I am speechless
Why is it illegal? It is showing mph from what Reak is saying as it reads it from the ECU. Why are you concerned that it can not show kph? The UK uses mph as the norm for speed.

If I drive my Dutch car in the UK I can not read of mph either... still not an excuse to break the speedlimit...

RJ

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why is it illegal? It is showing mph from what Reak is saying as it reads it from the ECU. Why are you concerned that it can not show kph? The UK uses mph as the norm for speed.

If I drive my Dutch car in the UK I can not read of mph either... still not an excuse to break the speedlimit...

RJ
It is a requirement in the UK law that the speedometer is able to show both

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dear Carbold :

We are sorry to bring you the troubles, and I understand there should be no excuse for it.

If this is not acceptable for you, please returned the meter because we can't do anything in our side now for it. I will ask our colleague in Koso Europe stop selling the meter to UK unless the customer could accept the meter could showed only in MPH before the improvement is done.

Sorry for all the inconvenience.
Please get in touch with FC-MOTO in Germany who are the main resellers. I am expecting that they will offer a full refund including shipping costs back to them, as the product description is misleading and the speedo is illegal under UK law. I don’t want to argue with them, this has already been a pain for what should have been a straight swap.

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So here is where I am with this. The DL-04 is in fact a very good idea, but poorly executed.
I forgot to mention that other functions are missing compared to the 2014-16 version, such as max speed and the ability to set the red light shift. The product description states the units can be changed (switchable) but that is incorrect and misleading. Many functions are missing compared to the previous version, and it's a shame that what's missing is just a bit of coding in the firmware. What I don't understand is how come the US Wunderlich version has ALL these functions?
Maybe @Reak Wu can explain why?

I will try and send it back, however if and when they fix the issue, I will buy it again because it is indeed a good product overall.

Rectangle Font Magenta Screenshot Paper

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Urban GS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update from KOSO Europe. They told me that they are going to handle the issue with the seller and they will see if this can be sorted with a software update.
This takes the pressure off me in terms of having to return the item within 30 days, and credit to KOSO Europe for stepping up and take charge.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
What I don't understand is how come the US Wunderlich version has ALL these functions?
Maybe @Reak Wu can explain why?

THAT is indeed THE question. The vid clearly shows a 2017+ unit. From Koso. Which does the trick. Very strange. Sorry @carbold that you had to go through this. Hope it works out.

As far as the ominous UK legal requirements, good thing it’s not mandatory to have left- AND right-hand steering wheels! 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
Just got the 2017- version installed on my Urban GS. Looks great, easy to install, lots of new features.
One question though, how do you change the units? Such as mph km/h or MPG to l/100km? And the rev counter red light?
When I enter the set up there are a few limited options....Don't know where to go and the instructions are very basic....
Thanks
I bought one in the group buy last year. The one under discussion might be different. One of the buyers informed me (before I got around to ordering) that you must specify the units when you order, He had to exchange his, but I got MPH on the first try. There was NO option in ordering to specify units - I requested MPH in the "Order Notes" box and that was enough.

I love the unit, although I wish it was brighter in daylight and dimmable at night. Still a vast improvement over the factory unit!

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is a requirement in the UK law that the speedometer is able to show both
Does the law say that it has to show both at the same time? It does have the ability to show both. If your BMW is set to Imperial it will show mph, and if it is set to Metric it will show kmh. There are plenty of vehicles that show just one at a time... every car with a digital speedo for example.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts