BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered the wheels to start a custom build I’ve been wanting to do for awhile. This will take time to do it all. I am planning to do some other mods that I haven’t done yet as well.

The goal is to put the ktm 790 adventure r rally front end on my pure. I will be getting a custom rear shock from race tech. I plan to keep the stock gauge and headlight from the pure. Custom shifter and rear brake. I have 800gs pannier racks and R1200gsa rear rack that I need to rebuild because it stress fractured. I will probably put valve covers on as well from wunderlich. The are some other things I may or may not do like a rally tower. And other relatively small things I forget and remember off and on. I expect I’ll have 30-35k into it when it’s all done. Some of the companies I’ve talked to and worked with suggested getting a different bike. I enjoy this one and a hooked up GS wouldn’t be much different in price. Mine will be less weight and pretty custom. More to my liking.

(EDIT: I’m going to add a photo to show what I was starting with even though I’ve posted the photo elsewhere)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered all parts except for the forks themselves.

still will need a rear shock and front forks

wheels and all front end components are paid and being sent to me in the next few weeks.

both Woody’s wheels and solid performance were great to deal with. I’m in California solid performance is across the country. I heard great things about them; and the claims are true, the same as with Woody’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts came in!
Still waiting on the Woody’s wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to dlc the lowers and Kashima coat the uppers and get Lyndon poskitt racing neoprene forks sleeves for the front end with full 10.6 in of travel for the forks

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because it will give me 6.5 inches more travel. 4.1->10.6. Ohlins are more road oriented I believe? Other than the fork being soft, (doesn’t typically bother me) I don’t have any complaints with the front suspension. I love the bike. This fork setup had dual 320mm disks and 2 4 pot calipers. Triumph scrambler 1200xe has about an inch less travel 1mm narrower diameter forks and 320mm dual disk 4 pot calipers. I wanted to maintain braking performance because I use the bike very aggressively on the street as well. It has less travel than if I used a dirt bike front end but better braking. Triumph was about 1/2 the price for parts as ktm but woodys wheels could make a stronger wheel for the ktm so that was the deciding factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick trial fit to see measurements with the ktm stem

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More trial fitment shows the bmw R9T Pure handlebar clamps will work on the KTM triples.

I will call a place later today to get a quote on pressing in and out the stems to swap the bmw stem to the ktm triples.

I need to fab up a mounting solution for the headlight and instrument cluster. It would have helped if I had the ktm fender I paid for but (I think they (forgot???) To send it and 2 other parts I paid for and ordered)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Test fit the headlight and it bolts up.
$40 to swap the bmw stem to the ktm triple but I’m not sure if that would work. Maybe I should cut the ktm stem instead or make a custom stem? I will have to ask the shop for their opinions. I’ve never done this before so it’s all trial and error. Luckily, a lot of small things worked out that save money, time, and a headache. I wanted to keep the stock look of the bike with the headlight and cluster etc. I will have to fab a mounting solution for the cluster as it is not directly bolt over. Relatively small potatoes. I’m very happy with the way it’s all going together so easily.
I called solid performance today to follow up on the missing parts from the delivery. They informed me the fender won’t come in until the middle of next month and the other few bits and bobs should be in and sent out soon. It’s kind of a bummer to have to wait that long. But it’s only because I want to put it together and take it in with a smile.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On my way to cut the ktm stem for $100 at dr. Johns in Anaheim California. Took the triple trees yesterday. I lucked out being able to reuse bearings And it’s a really really easy swap over.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 BMW R9T Pure
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts