BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Has anyone installed the following headlights on your motorcycle?
1-Bi Led Wunderlich
2-Dk design
3-ASchinitzer bomb led
What do you advise me?
Thank you

Premium Member
Hi @alvitdk... looks nice ! How鈥檚 the light at night ? Also where did u get these ? Amazing work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just did a little night ride to test, looks great and so much more illumination side to side as well as ahead. Got it off Amazon for 40.-, here is a link LED 7" light.
However, there is some modification needed, albeit very small. The springs holding the light need to bend a bit to hold it in place, it just takes seconds. More importantly, the nut that holds the clamp to tighten the headlight in its housing is too small. The nut is stopped from spinning in the original light by a little indent in the light itself, the LED light does not have that. I cut a piece of 1/4 thick aluminum, 1/2" wide, and tapped a thread (4mm) in it, in place of the nut. That prevents it from spinning when tightening the screw. If needed I can open up the light and take some pictures.
Besides the main connector, it has two small wires, red and green. I cut and connected the wire from the DRL bulb to the red wire to have the lights lit on the left and right. If connected to the green wire, the light will be yellow, surely not legal I think. Anyway, it took an hour but well worth it....and so darn cheap compare to other lights, and probably build in the same factory.

PS: no fault in the dash either, all good!

Registered
Just did a little night ride to test, looks great and so much more illumination side to side as well as ahead. Got it off Amazon for 40.-, here is a link LED 7" light.
However, there is some modification needed, albeit very small. The springs holding the light need to bend a bit to hold it in place, it just takes seconds. More importantly, the nut that holds the clamp to tighten the headlight in its housing is too small. The nut is stopped from spinning in the original light by a little indent in the light itself, the LED light does not have that. I cut a piece of 1/4 thick aluminum, 1/2" wide, and tapped a thread (4mm) in it, in place of the nut. That prevents it from spinning when tightening the screw. If needed I can open up the light and take some pictures.
Besides the main connector, it has two small wires, red and green. I cut and connected the wire from the DRL bulb to the red wire to have the lights lit on the left and right. If connected to the green wire, the light will be yellow, surely not legal I think. Anyway, it took an hour but well worth it....and so darn cheap compare to other lights, and probably build in the same factory.

Thanks for the link and write up. What year bike do you have?

Premium Member
The Can-bus system is different for earlier bikes. Some of the electrical upgrades that work on them cause the system to spit out errors on newer bikes like yours and mine (also an 鈥18).
Yes, but if it works on the can-bus system without error, then I hope it will work on the pre- can-bus system... can't guarantee though ;-)

Administrator
Yes, but if it works on the can-bus system without error, then I hope it will work on the pre- can-bus system... can't guarantee though ;-)
Both the pre 2014-2016 bikes and 2107+ bikes have canbus systems. the only difference from a modifications standpoint is the later system is far more fussy with electrical add-ons.

But yes I do agree that it is a reasonable guess that if a LED headlight unit that works on a 2017 or later bike should work on an earlier version due to the more tolerant canbus system. As you have said though there are no guarantees, but if I were a betting man I'd say the odds are very good that it will.

Premium Member
Both the pre 2014-2016 bikes and 2107+ bikes have canbus systems. the only difference from a modifications standpoint is the later system is far more fussy with electrical add-ons.

But yes I do agree that it is a reasonable guess that if a LED headlight unit that works on a 2017 or later bike should work on an earlier version due to the more tolerant canbus system. As you have said though there are no guarantees, but if I were a betting man I'd say the odds are very good that it will.
And for 40.- it's not a big risk to take anyway.

Registered
2020' R nineT Pure

Kudos to have them work , I bought the same one from Amazon but I was getting the lamp error when I removed the stock DRL and placed the red/green wire in DRL connector.
The stock DRL had black and white wire which one did you splice up to connect to the red wire, if you already have a picture can you share if not it's alright.

Premium Member
Kudos to have them work , I bought the same one from Amazon but I was getting the lamp error when I removed the stock DRL and placed the red/green wire in DRL connector.
The stock DRL had black and white wire which one did you splice up to connect to the red wire, if you already have a picture can you share if not it's alright. View attachment 133247
don鈥檛 have a picture but I鈥檓 sure it I鈥檇 the white one that I connected to the green or red wire. I will open it back up and take a picture later today.

Registered
2020' R nineT Pure
don鈥檛 have a picture but I鈥檓 sure it I鈥檇 the white one that I connected to the green or red wire. I will open it back up and take a picture later today.
Tried the white (positive) to the red DRL wire and voila no error, I did not the see the stock spring clips fit the new one, so once I find the spring clips going to mount this and try riding in night. Thanks for your inputs, saved me a trip to return and buy something expensive :)

Premium Member
Tried the white (positive) to the red DRL wire and voila no error, I did not the see the stock spring clips fit the new one, so once I find the spring clips going to mount this and try riding in night. Thanks for your inputs, saved me a trip to return and buy something expensive :)
Glad to hear. For the clips, just bend the center part down towards the light, doesn't take much and it will make them clamp solid. The bigger issue, at least on my bike was the way you tighten the screw, as the new bulb does not have a grove in the light to prevent the nut from spinning. Read my original post, I explained what I did to make it work. If you need a picture, I can open it back up.

Registered
Hi,
so I was able to install the headlight as the main connector plugged right in and the low and high beam work fine. But there is a red wire that is coming from the new light. And I have the little light bulb/ wire - if I pull out the bulb the wire does not have that perfect fit. What is the work around this? Thank you in advance.

Registered
Hi I just installed a similar headlight. My halo is not connected. I have a red wire left coming from the headlight. So just I understand the little light bulb connected to the white and black wire is the DRL light right? With that being said, how would I connect that when bulb is removed to red wire? Thank you

Here's a photo of the LED light I installed on mine, as I never seemed to put an update on this thread. This was bought from eBay UK.

Firstly with the stock BMW light Bezel - straightforward install.

View attachment 132286

And then with the RSD headlight bezel - bit more of a challenge but end result justified the more involved install.

View attachment 132287
Hi, I purchase a similar looking headlight on amazon. I was wondering, the headlight had on set of wire and a male end as well as a little red wire. The main set plugged right in no problem but I have the red wire and the little bulb that is attached to a black and white wire. What should I do to be able to get the halo to work? I think I connect the white or black wire to the red but not sure. I do have a fault as well. I have a 2017 racer. Thank you

Premium Member
Hi I just installed a similar headlight. My halo is not connected. I have a red wire left coming from the headlight. So just I understand the little light bulb connected to the white and black wire is the DRL light right? With that being said, how would I connect that when bulb is removed to red wire? Thank you

Hi, I purchase a similar looking headlight on amazon. I was wondering, the headlight had on set of wire and a male end as well as a little red wire. The main set plugged right in no problem but I have the red wire and the little bulb that is attached to a black and white wire. What should I do to be able to get the halo to work? I think I connect the white or black wire to the red but not sure. I do have a fault as well. I have a 2017 racer. Thank you
the white wire is positive and needs to be connected to the red wire of the new headlight for the DRL to work and the error to disappear.

Registered
2020' R nineT Pure
Glad to hear. For the clips, just bend the center part down towards the light, doesn't take much and it will make them clamp solid. The bigger issue, at least on my bike was the way you tighten the screw, as the new bulb does not have a grove in the light to prevent the nut from spinning. Read my original post, I explained what I did to make it work. If you need a picture, I can open it back up.
I didn't have issues with tightening the screw , but after sometime the lamp error started flashing again. I am thinking of trying a w5w resistor which we use in cars to resolve the canbus error but not sure if that would resolve.

Registered
2020' R nineT Pure

You can just leave the black not connected to anything (better to be taped so it doesn't burn the fuse by touching the line) here is a picture of how I managed to tangle the white (positive) wire to the red wire.

Premium Member
I didn't have issues with tightening the screw , but after sometime the lamp error started flashing again. I am thinking of trying a w5w resistor which we use in cars to resolve the canbus error but not sure if that would resolve.
Interesting, I don't have any flashing lamp error whatsoever, there might be slight differences in the build of the light, some tolerance that is probably enough to throw an error. I would go with a 39 Ohm/5W resistor, but the threshold is probably even higher, like 100Ohm since it is not a permanent error on your bike.

Premium Member
Hi,
so I was able to install the headlight as the main connector plugged right in and the low and high beam work fine. But there is a red wire that is coming from the new light. And I have the little light bulb/ wire - if I pull out the bulb the wire does not have that perfect fit. What is the work around this? Thank you in advance.
You likely have to butcher it. I cut the wires and soldered a connector on the white wire and connected it to the red one coming from the new LED headlight. The black wire is ground and I just capped it off.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts