BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
(Moderator Edited)

I do have some idea about the resistance and wattage required to get LEDs to work on a bike that's not had the LED option enabled in the ECU (or is it in the clocks?)

All I'm trying to do here is ask some questions and state, what I understand, but could well be wrong.

If the questions appear stupid forgive me, but I'll quite happily endure ridicule if it results in greater understanding

I'd also like to ask some questions about the topic in general

My bike is a 2017 racer and currently has bulbs installed, so the LED option is not enabled

What I "think" I know

The LED option can be enabled, but only by a BMW dealer and only in certain countries (which does strike me as odd). It has to be a dealer, a GS-911 as an example doesn't have the capability to enable the option.

The Canbus "looks" at an electrical parameter across the bulb to determine if the bulb is intact, if not it flags a fault. Thing is bulb resistance will vary by some way, when a bulb is cold its resistance will be far lower than when it's operating

As LED's draw far less power than an incandescent bulb, the Canbus thinks a bulb has blown and throws up an error, resistance too high or current too low.

Assuming the bike isn't configured with the LED option, the accepted fix is to use a resistor, in parallel, too low a value results in a fast flash, too high results in a bulb error on the dash.

What I definately don't know

What countries can have the LED option switched on by the dealer? I'm primarily interested in the UK as that's where I am, but it would be useful for others if there was a list.

If the LED option is enabled, does that mean aftermarket LED indicators will work without throwing Canbus errors and have the correct flash modulation?

Is it current or resistance the canbus looks at? A bit academic I suppose as one is related to the other

Does the Canbus monitor when the circuit is not in operation? Will it throw up a code for an indicator bulb, or any other, even if the circuit isn't in use?

Anybody any idea why the fast flash? Most flasher relays, these days that I know of, have their flash rate dictated by a timer circuit so resistance doesn't matter (within reason). We don't have a relay but I'd assume it operated on the same principal

The Known Unknowns

Up until recently I thought that the resistor required had to be in parallel across the LED, to mimic the same current, or equivalent resistance of a bulb. However looking at this for instance, from Kellerman a fix for BMW LED indicators, it appears that the wiring is seperate except at the plug.

LED Blinker-Umbau | i.LASH Adapter für BMW R nineT

Anybody any clues how something like this could work and what it does? I'm wondering if it contains an independent flash relay buried in the wiring, as I've seen very small examples of flash relays being produced recently

I'm just curious

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 2015 classic had standard bulbs. I bought used LED indicators from a 1200GS. I mounted them and everything works fine, without the intervention of a GS-911 or dealer. No fast blinking, no warning on the dash.
These are original BMW LED indicators, without (visible) resistors.
I think the problems are there when installing after-market LEDs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @dxamet I did read that it appears the BMW LED indicators work without issue, but any other brand needs some sort of intervention usually a resistor

I may well try the Kellerman "magic" leads but it will be 5 weeks before I get the indicators, if/when I do I'll report results favourable or otherwise.

Another question occured to me and that's with the Daedelus Tail Tidy, the undertray comes equipped with a set of resistors moulded into the tray for the stop/tail light and another set for indicators.

I wondered what the results of it would be on bikes that have the LED option enabled? Are the resistors just ignored by the canbus?

BMW aren't the only ones, I had a Ducati and had all sorts of issues with the Canbus, I tried various resistors without success to correct the flashrate.

The indicators installed on the Ducati would fast flash with the ignition on but the rate would become normal when the engine ran. Put that down to the increase in system voltage, but never really got a proper handle on what was going on

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
619 Posts
The 2017 bikes are much more sensitive to LED bulbs than the previous model years. So the above poster’s anecdote about a 2015 I’m afraid isn’t relevant.

I can say that a 2017-2021 with LED mode enabled should work with BMW and aftermarket LEDs but ONLY with the LED option enabled, otherwise it’s resistorseven for BMW parts.

I’m going to propose a very simplesolution: call your nearest dealer and ask them if they can enable LED mode on your 2017. If they say yes have it done at your next service. Easy enough solution. If no, thenDeal with all the other possibilities and questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I just installed a led with my canbus scrambler.
But led was canbus compatible. If leds are not compatible than you can buy these 2 products to makes them work without canbus Error.

I think I should not provide links but HERE are pics.

Gadget Plant Font Home appliance Circle

Liquid Automotive lighting Font Magenta Petal

My leds

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all @oguzbay I'll have a search around for those canbus adapters.

At the moment just trying to get my ducks lined up and see what my options are

Seems to be one of these subjects that's go a little mystery around it, with different fixes working for different people.

All your suggestions and inputs are very much appreciated as I'm still new to BMWs in general and this bike in particular

John

·
Administrator
12,778 Posts
@oguzbay if you bought the lights from eBay the rules changed (quite a while back now) to allow eBay links. If the lights are from eBay, feel free to share the link! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts