BMW NineT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we have the long pipe sorted out. What is the deal with LED signals that are shown/mentioned in the reviews? Is this an accessory or standard or ???

Thanks

BTW, i just ordered the BMW accessorieds i want and the total is ~ $3K US. Ouch

· Premium Member
1,674 Posts
OK, we have the long pipe sorted out. What is the deal with LED signals that are shown/mentioned in the reviews? Is this an accessory or standard or ???

Thanks

BTW, i just ordered the BMW accessorieds i want and the total is ~ $3K US. Ouch
Best you order the LEDs for your extras list too as it's another option for you to pay for (non standard fit ) ;):D

· Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Yes... should... but are not ..

Dont' forget to order 4 of them!
And let the BMW techi do it, except you are familiar with relais, resistors and stuff like that....
As you say they have to fitted by the dealer as they have to be configured to the ECU :D so not a plug an play item and agree a price to supply an fit before purchase :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Anyone can fit but only BMW have the access to your ECU to configure them to your Bikes brain, if a fault occurs from your fitment they won't blame themselves will they under warranty ,also a fault code won't work via the onboard system if there not configured ,it's your choice :eek:

· Registered
439 Posts
Gents,

I put the factory BMW LED turn signals on my 2012 R1200GS myself - very easy job. These turn signals were plug and play. Why would it be different for the Nine T?

Thanks.
Same here, did the job on mt 2012 R1200R - if anything, given the NineT's "customizable wiring harness", it should be easier. But again, completely plug and play with 2012s - don't even require the resistors which they wil want to sell to you also.

· Registered
233 Posts
hi all
normal ones for me no leds
as my hp2 has lost two,somebody walked past mine and caught it .
i came back and it was hanging off.
done another in my garage going past.
they snap of so easy 32 pounds plus a time and post.
rubbish design ,why are they not on rubber stalks.

· Registered
439 Posts
Not official but very much plug and play. You simply unplug one and replug the other. Apparently, the LEDs are not wide enough when mounted to meet some archaic 1950's bullshit standard for distance between the headlight and the indicators even though they are like 100 times brighter. Might be another ten years before the US DOT catches up. In the meantime go for it. I've never met anyone who was cited for this "violation".

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Not official but very much plug and play. You simply unplug one and replug the other. Apparently, the LEDs are not wide enough when mounted to meet some archaic 1950's bullshit standard for distance between the headlight and the indicators even though they are like 100 times brighter. Might be another ten years before the US DOT catches up. In the meantime go for it. I've never met anyone who was cited for this "violation".
One of the first things I noticed, is those turn signals really did stick out some. And, there is not much give. My guess is thats the first things that break on our bikes, just from people walking by and ogling the bikes.

· Registered
233 Posts
Hi all
Today parked my 1200r in town for a hour , came back and yet again another snapped clean off on floor.whaaaaa
Back right one.total of three now.2 on the hp2 and one on the r1200
thats it now for me going to get a set of normal ones.take those off so have 3 spare for the hp 2.
The 9 t comes with normal ones.
Led rubbish is extra.

· Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone fitted aftermarket (i.e. not the BMW options) LED indicators yet?

I'm looking at the Kellerman ones.

Do they require a relay? Which relay fits?
I don't know about a relay, there's no turn signal relay in these bikes, the electronics do all that.
I'm not familiar with the Kellerman, but they either need to have resistors built in or you'll need to soldier in your own somewhere in each circuit.
LED's in general pull much less power than filament lamps, you need to fool the can-bus and have a very similar load or they might not work or you'll get LAMP error on you dash.
BMW LED signals have the needed resistors built in, making them plug and play, at least from my experience.
Good luck and keep us posted with what you come up with! :D

I remember reading that the nineT was to have some kind of hybrid electrical system using can-bus and more standard (old school) wiring to allow easier customization. So far I don't see where, I still got an error/canbus killed the circuit when I tried a higher wattage headlamp and the main harness looks the same as a 12R with plugs for signals.

· Registered
64 Posts
Just a thought - if you don't mind the shape of the stock turn signals, then LED inserts might be an option. The wunderlich.de site has some they say are compatible with the nineT. However, the part numbers don't correspond to anything on the wunderlich US site. While the US site has LED inserts, the list of compatible bikes doesn't match those the German site say fit the nineT. I've sent Wunderlich US an E-mail, but haven't received a reply yet.

Blinker - Elektrik & Beleuchtung - NineT - BMW R-Serie

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.