BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
321 - 340 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW r nineT Urban GS
111 Posts
I finally felt well enough to go up the mountain and test the bike on some trails I know. Unfortunately, most were closed still, they open in March.
Anyway, I found this road that goes through a cabin neighborhood and rode it just for a couple hundred feet....nothing crazy, but it was cold and getting colder and my wife and kids wanted to make it to the top for hot chocolate and stuff...
It was a short “adventure” but I can say two things for sure....one is that I need to train on dirt more, obviously. And two is that the stock suspension isn’t great but for the type of riding I’d like to do is just ok. I’m saving for an upgrade and then I’ll be able to compare and hopefully feel the difference.
One thought I had while riding up and down this road was that had I gone straight to a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R or an R1250GS (my other potential options) even this little trail would’ve been very intimidating and potentially dangerous due to the size and weight distribution of those bikes. I had a KTM 950 Adventure S back in 2008 and I remember how it handled at low speeds and all that. I have to disclose that I have a bad right foot that sometimes isn’t as strong as I need it to be...all this factors came into the mix when deciding the purchase.
Anyway, I know the bike is capable, I’ve seen your videos and pics a million times so I’m happy to keep riding it and improving my skills before saying what some say “it is not a bike to go off-road”
Cheers!
Tire Plant Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Plant Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,747 Posts
I finally felt well enough to go up the mountain and test the bike on some trails I know. Unfortunately, most were closed still, they open in March.
Anyway, I found this road that goes through a cabin neighborhood and rode it just for a couple hundred feet....nothing crazy, but it was cold and getting colder and my wife and kids wanted to make it to the top for hot chocolate and stuff...
It was a short “adventure” but I can say two things for sure....one is that I need to train on dirt more, obviously. And two is that the stock suspension isn’t great but for the type of riding I’d like to do is just ok. I’m saving for an upgrade and then I’ll be able to compare and hopefully feel the difference.
One thought I had while riding up and down this road was that had I gone straight to a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R or an R1250GS (my other potential options) even this little trail would’ve been very intimidating and potentially dangerous due to the size and weight distribution of those bikes. I had a KTM 950 Adventure S back in 2008 and I remember how it handled at low speeds and all that. I have to disclose that I have a bad right foot that sometimes isn’t as strong as I need it to be...all this factors came into the mix when deciding the purchase.
Anyway, I know the bike is capable, I’ve seen your videos and pics a million times so I’m happy to keep riding it and improving my skills before saying what some say “it is not a bike to go off-road”
Cheers!
View attachment 151702
View attachment 151701
Nice!!! A buddy is finishing his home outside of Tucson in april. I have a feeling one of my bikes might live in his garage for a while. May be the Urban.
Could you be a trail guide?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice!!! A buddy is finishing his home outside of Tucson in april. I have a feeling one of my bikes might live in his garage for a while. May be the Urban.
Could you be a trail guide?
How cool! I'd love to have a tiny cabin up on the Lemmon...but land up there has gone up like crazy!
Nah, I couldn't be a trail guide but I'll go explore and learn them with you guys!

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is one nice UGS. You see me especially envious of the swedish gold up front. Let's hear how that performs.
Nice touch with the Zebra stripes on the handguard - keeps the tse-tse flys from crashing into it ?! ;-P

321 - 340 of 391 Posts