BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
R nine T Scrambler X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just came back to my bike at the end of the day and the headlamp and tail light were on. I was certain I hadn't left them on. I put the key in the ignition and try to start the bike up, but as expected the battery was flat. Fortunately some great delivery guys gave me a hand to jump start the bike. so I got home, but if I turn the bike off and remove the key, the lights go off for about 3 seconds and then come back on again. I simply can't work out how to turn them off. Does anyone have any ideas?
cheers
Phil

·
Registered
719 Posts
That sounds like a short in the wiring or potentially an issue with the headlight courtesy function. Try this. Switch off the bike, then flip the high beam switch to ON. The headlight should go out automatically in 60 seconds.

Have you done anything to the bike recently, even anything you feel is unrelated?

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
423 Posts
I once had this. Taking the key off and the lights would stay on. I solved it at the time by turning it back on and then back off, only. It was still weird but I now know that it must have been the courtesy light function that I inadvertently activated.

Have you pressure-washed your bike or did it take some water in a way it wouldn't normally, like rain with the seat off or anything like that?

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
859 Posts
Wow this recently happened to my 17 classic. I pulled up from a long ride and shut bike off and head light stayed on. i tried it a couple times before it went to off. I know of no courtesy function? I am kind of worried about it though because of the dead batt. situation.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
859 Posts
If only I had a manual do you think it would say why it didn't do it every time?

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
265 Posts
This all still does not answer the original question.

OP came back at the end of the day to find the lights still on.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
425 Posts
There are two ways for switching accidentally (or unaccidentally) the lights on when switching off the bike:

• By hitting the high beam button Either pulling or pushing it (this should switch the low beam on)
  • By pushing the left direction light for a few seconds, but this should trigger the small "position" light only.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
423 Posts
This all still does not answer the original question.

OP came back at the end of the day to find the lights still on.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
That's why I asked this:

"Have you pressure-washed your bike or did it take some water in a way it wouldn't normally, like rain with the seat off or anything like that?"

If any of the electrical plugs or ECU caught water MAYBE they went bad and are behaving incorrectly. Another forum member recently experienced a left hand switchgear failure and an instrument cluster failure because of washing the bike with the seats off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good morning, interesting, if worrisome thread. Could someone elaborate on what’s being referred to as a “courtesy light” function? What causes it to engage, and how to switch off? I believe the battery is located under the fuel tank, major hassle if discharged.....

thank you!

·
Banned
424 Posts
I would think the first thing to do if this happens is remove the relevant fuse.
At least then you can relax a bit why you try and figure it out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good morning, interesting, if worrisome thread. Could someone elaborate on what’s being referred to as a “courtesy light” function? What causes it to engage, and how to switch off? I believe the battery is located under the fuel tank, major hassle if discharged.....

thank you!
The Courtesy light function won't kill the battery. All it does is allow the headlight to stay on for 60 seconds to give you time to walk to the door if you live in a dark area. You can also leave the parking light in the headlight shell turned on intentionally if you need to park the bike somewhere dark and want to make sure it is visible. It's all covered in the owners manual. Lot's of good stuff in there if you haven't read it yet.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
423 Posts
@GapRunr you beat me to it by a few seconds!

I wouldn't say the courtesy light would kill the battery but it may be an indication of a malfunctioning function (...)

Again, @Mitleider, water: did you wash the bike recently in a way that water could have got into where it shouldn't? Left switchgear internals, under the seat and/or under the tank?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi there, just came back to my bike at the end of the day and the headlamp and tail light were on. I was certain I hadn't left them on.
Wait. I just re-read the original post. I'm positive this is the parking light function that got activated. If you had the left turn signal pressed when you turned the key off, then the parking light in the front and the tail light in the rear would have been left on. Depending on how long you were away then this could have easily weakened the battery to the point it wouldn't start. Also, if you have any accessories that are triggered by either the parking light wire or taillight feed, like an aux fuse box, driving lights, etc. then they would have potentially been on as well.

@laalves I'm usually last to the party so thanks for letting me beat you to the finish line on this.

·
Registered
R nine T Scrambler X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Firstly apologies for going silent on this and secondly thanks for all the comments. I spoke to BMW and they suggested it was the parking light issue. I didn’t even realise we had a parking light setting. Yes RTFM!
It seemed to go away on its own to be honest.
But what is interesting, is that I just had the same issue. I parked up the bike whilst I was out and the headlights wouldn’t turn off. I knew about the park light issue so turned the bike on and off to reset it, but the headlight remained on. I tried various things but the headlight remained on. I noticed the right indicator was working but not the left. Later when riding home, the left indicator started working again and the issue had cleared when I stopped. So I suspect there is a fault with the indicator switch. But worth noting it was 3 degrees celcius and foggy so I wonder if the conditions had something to do with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts