BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of riding up to the cairngorms, about 430 miles of A roads and motorway. Is this reasonable in one day or are my eyes bigger than my arse
padding?

·
Administrator
11,511 Posts
I wouldn’t last the course on stock seating... However we are all different as are our behinds, so you never know... If you do go on stock seating bring some painkillers along just in case your nether regions complain... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I wouldn’t last the course on stock seating... However we are all different as are our behinds, so you never know... If you do go on stock seating bring some painkillers along just in case your nether regions complain... ;)

I need to take the pain pills before I set off on a ride.
Ken.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm thinking of riding up to the cairngorms, about 430 miles of A roads and motorway. Is this reasonable in one day or are my eyes bigger than my arse padding?
If you are used to doing full days in the saddle, then this is possible. If you haven't ever done a 350 or so mile day before, then you are being ambitious. You need to develop your riding stamina and work on the muscle groups used on your bike. I've done a couple of 400 mile days on my Urban with the stock saddle, wearing bicycle shorts, and I was absolutely knackered at the end of the day. Depending on your speeds, a windshield would be a welcome addition. Make sure to wear ear plugs as well. That will also make a big difference in your level of exhaustion.

On my GSA with the windshield, wind protection from the tank, better seat, and better suspension I easily drop 700 mile days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ha ha, I know what you mean about the stock set up (n) 😖. If i do it I'll take whisky and paracetamol :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are used to doing full days in the saddle, then this is possible. If you haven't ever done a 350 or so mile day before, then you are being ambitious. You need to develop your riding stamina and work on the muscle groups used on your bike. I've done a couple of 400 mile days on my Urban with the stock saddle, wearing bicycle shorts, and I was absolutely knackered at the end of the day. Depending on your speeds, a windshield would be a welcome addition. Make sure to wear ear plugs as well. That will also make a big difference in your level of exhaustion.

On my GSA with the windshield, wind protection from the tank, better seat, and better suspension I easily drop 700 mile days.
Thanks, that sounds like good sensible advice. Ive done plenty of miles on big tourers in the past, up to a couple of 600 mile days but this is a different beast. 400 miles on an urban gives me hope. I have a Dart screen, custom earplugs, nitron shock, hand guards and raised bars. A did a few 150 mile days on very small roads recently so I think I might just take it as a challenge, lol. I'll only be young once, so weather permitting, wish me luck :ROFLMAO::cool::LOL:😖

·
Registered
120 Posts
Which variant do you have? I did 370 miles from Sheffield to Lands End last week in a day, then a further 800 miles over the next 4 days.
It felt no harder than doing the same on my old 1200 GSA albeit with some minor neck stiffness due to the extra buffeting I get on my UGS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which variant do you have? I did 370 miles from Sheffield to Lands End last week in a day, then a further 800 miles over the next 4 days.
It felt no harder than doing the same on my old 1200 GSA albeit with some minor neck stiffness due to the extra buffeting I get on my UGS.
Hi, 2016 r9t classic. It seems pretty comfortable, especially since I started using earplugs

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rode 400 miles on mine the day I bought it! I'm kinda used to the big rides on inappropriate bikes though (i.e. 500 miles in a day on a stupidly loud Triumph Scrambler with no screen). The BMW is comparatively very comfortable and very capable.

Some tips:
  • Start early. Riding at night when tired after a full day is bad news.
  • Stop often and stretch / hydrate
  • Find a cruising speed and position that minimises neck strain from wind
  • Airhawk inflatable seat pads make the stock seat way more comfortable (I use this one and it fits really well on the R9T Amazon.com: Airhawk Cruiser R Seat, Small: Sports & Outdoors)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I use an IKEA motorbike seat cover, aka the 35 quid sheep fleece. It lets me ride fairly long distances, even with my sciatica. I rode the Apostrophes (from Bo'ness to John O'Groats) on one day, no problem. Also Munich to Dresden and other similar distances on motorways. Also of course I just spent six days riding for about seven hours a day on the WAW. It's a great and cheap add-on. Here is my bike at the Garmisch Partenkirchen BMW Motorrad Treffen. The day before this I'd ridden from Freiburg in the Black Forest, all through the twisties to meet with one of my girlies in Augsburg and then down past München to Garmisch to the treffen. (Annual BMW meet-up - that time there were about 70,000 attendees - a LOT of bikes!). That was about 500kms or so.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
My biggest day last season was 270 miles and I was ready for more.
That is not the norm. Usually 200 miles has me looking for my scotch glass.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes. No.

What’s the furthest you’ve ridden the bike?
How many hours?
Is the bike comfy for you as it is or do you merely tolerate it for the fun?
Have you added things to make it more distance worthy? Seat, windscreen, etc.

For myself, there’s a right speed for a particular bike to eat miles. My Urban at 50 to 70 mph on two lane winding roads is a delight. I can ride for many many hours. But higher speeds, speeds I instinctively want to go, I tire more quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As someone who has ridden just short of 450 miles to The Cairngorms, in one day supported on the stock saddle - my thoughts are unambiguous - "Not recommended"! The day after - I had zero inclination to remount the R9T, in fact I had zero interest in riding any motorcycle for a few days.

What no other forum member has mentioned is not just your physical comfort but your mental wellbeing on this proposed trip. If you take the usual direct route up to The Cairngorms you may very well fall asleep with boredom as the M74, M9/A9 qualifies as one of the UK's most tedious rides for a biker - throw in mile-after-mile of average speed cameras, large deer leaping onto the road and the excitement of tourists 'forgetting' what side of the road they should drive on - I'd avoid it like the plague! On the subject of 'The Plague' - No idea (or interest in) the capacity of your bladder but many public conveniences across Scotland are currently closed, so be aware that in some areas you might be doing the dance of desperation, like a three year old about to soil themselves. If you do want to enjoy a road into The Highlands/Cairngorms - do Perth, Blairgowrie, Glenshee, Braemar, The Lecht, Tomintoul, Grantown-on-Spey - and if you don't finish with a large grin on your face then it's time you swapped your bike licence for a bus pass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the responses and good suggestions/advice. There is obviously a number of people who find the bike pretty uncomfortable and use it mainly for short distance fun times. Then there are others who munch miles for breakfast. When I first got the bike I saw it as a toy for B road blasts of about 50 miles max. I put a Nitron shock on to improve the handling and a Dart screen because it looks good. I put on a Unit Garage rack so I could carry my butties but I still thought of it as a short distance toy. The big game changer though was when I started wearing ear plugs because with the reduced wind noise I can go faster and further. The last two parts in the conversion were bar risers and MachineArt hand guards. I have done a few 150 mile days and a 200 mile day since then with no real discomfort at all. So, I think I now have a fantastic back road toy that can tour as well. I'm going to give this a go but I will stop every couple of hours for a break. The boredom of motorways is a big turn off though so I think A46, A1, A68 and then M90 after Edinburgh. It will be interesting..... One last question though. Is there much benefit to wearing cycle shorts? I don't have a major problem with the existing seat but I can imagine that could change after 8 hrs!

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
99 Posts
I've only had my Pure for a couple weeks, but the ride home after buying it was over 360 miles. It revealed the only real flaws in the bike for me to be the stock seat and the suspension. The suspension is only an issue because the stock springs are too light for a big guy like me. But the seat is a common complaint. I've already ordered a Sargent to replace it, but for occasional long days I'd suggest trying bike shorts and/or seat covers/cushions folks recommended above. I will probably do the same for long days and trips on my R9T even after I get the upgraded seat.

But apart from physical comfort, mental fatigue is the other big factor here, as several people said above. I regularly ride 300-400 mile days, and will string together 2-3 days like that in a row while touring. If you're already doing 200-mile days, you might be fine to do 300+ in a day, but sometimes it's not the mileage which counts, but the type of riding you're doing and the number of hours spent on the bike. Any twisty roads are going to take longer due to slower speeds, and are more mentally taxing. If you're on predominantly 2-lane roads with many small towns thrown in, slowing down for all those small towns will cost you time. If you're stopping to admire and photograph scenery, that will also cost you time. (Not that it isn't worth doing!) So in addition to mileage I think you should be looking at how long you'll be on the bike, not how many miles you'll accumulate. My long days I may be actually on the bike for 8-10 hours, and it's very physically and mentally taxing.

My advice for long days is to take frequent breaks, including some longer breaks. Usually, the longer my day, the longer my last few breaks are.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts