BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was fitting some BMW Motorrad cover guards to the cylinder heads and noticed one of the torque head bolts I removed to replace with the supplied fitting was a little unusual (see pic). No. 2 on the diagram from the right cylinder (as sat on bike) and the one with the stepped head shown in the photo.
Any idea why it's different? Auto part Screw Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive design Drawing Sketch Vehicle

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
That's an earth bolt for jump-starting the bike. There is a positive terminal similar to it under the seat.

Reactions: Jussi

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Ahhh great knowledge! Well its gone for now as it sat in the location for the cover mounting.
Losing the bolt isn't a big deal, there are plenty other earth points you could use if you needed to. I removed the earth post too when I installed head guards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unusual Head Cover Bolt...

Fitted X-Head covers this morning. Removed 5x ordinary dull grey OEM bolts but no.3 on right side was longer, shiny and ornate chap. Should I know something about this bolt? Pic won't upload but has a big head around 15mm long. Is it 'special' for a reason? Sorry if a daft question but don't tinker much with bikes.

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
The longer bolt is an earth point in case you want to jump-start the bike.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Dave. Not likely to need it but will keep safe in case.
I botched the installation of the x-head covers and pretty much destroyed the threads in every one of the holes in the block that the screws go into. As a result I ended up living without that ground bolt which Dave calls an earth. Immediately, my battery became unreliable and I was constantly having to jump start the bike without it. It's a good thing to have.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I placed the earth bolt in another place, for just in case i might need to jumpstart my bike.

Thank you for bringing this up

just came back from being away for a month and I tried too start the bike and battery was dead
I did re charge it and its as good as new. but I did not want to take the tank apart to get to the battery for a future trickle charge connector

SO am I am to add a trickle charge connection at same two spots where you can jump start the bike?
like red positive bolt under the seat and then any of those other ground areas?
or do I have to go to the battery terminals?

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
***EDIT***

SO am I am to add a trickle charge connection at same two spots where you can jump start the bike?
like red positive bolt under the seat and then any of those other ground areas?
or do I have to go to the battery terminals?
That's what I'd do if I was hooking up a charger that didn't connect through the DIN accessory socket...

Remember NOT to have the ignition turned on when you are charging. Might do some damage...

·
Registered
8 Posts
cylinder head guards

was planning on putting a couple of guards on but just noticed on back of R hand cylinder one of the bolts where I would attach them to seems longer than the rest !! any idea what it is for ?? thanks in advance !

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Earth point for if you ever have to jump-start the bike.

@Shedman, I've merged your post with another thread as this question has been asked before and it keeps all the info in one place. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Machineart X-Head Install Question

Anyone install these on a Pure yet? Right cylinder head had the below post in one of the screw holes. Swapped it out for one of the 5mm hex-heads that came with the guards, all went together perfect. Now I am worried that this thing was in there for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think that post is to provide a ground point should you ever need one

1 - 20 of 49 Posts