BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey NineT community,

I pulled the trigger on an immaculate 2018 Urban G/S last week and am beyond excited for my first ride. As I [im]patiently wait for the bike to ship, I've started looking into touring options; my new ride should arrive about a week before I take it on a four day trip with my dad and his riding buddies. I have a set of Nelson Rigg Sierra drybags that are excellent for touring in variable weather. Even though these soft bags have a "universal fit", I'll need some kind of rack to hold them off the frame of the bike / clear the low exhaust.

So far, I'm having a hard time figuring out which rack set up I should get. I've been looking at the:
UNIT GARAGE BMW R9T INOX LUGGAGE RACK (con: expensive!!!)
UNIT GARAGE BMW R9T REAR DOUBLE ASYMMETRIC LUGGAGE RACK (con: bulky? Can't seem to find good pictures w/o luggage)
Givi TE5115 Easylock Saddlebag Supports (con: ugly swoop on rear of rack might look funny)

I had to nix the Hepco and Becker side luggage rack because, according to their website, "cannot be used with pillion seat". I'm definitely planning on riding two up, at least on day trips.

My other caveat is that I have a pelican case that perfectly fits my laptop for daily commuting. I had it mounted on Moose Racing racks on my (soon to be sold) g650GS, so I'm looking for a rack set up that I can (eventually) adapt the case to (hence why I'm not looking into the SW-Motech side carriers).

I'm not necessarily looking to mount other hard side cases (and am eventually planning on getting the UG topcase and luggage rack set up).

Has anyone had any experience with either of the Unit Gargar luggage racks or the Givi Saddlebag supports? Or are there any others I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Urban GS 2018
69 Posts
@baronvonurchin

I had similar "issue" weeks ago... And I came "against the grain" (upstream). My personal opinion is: luggage rack mounted underneath (like Unit's Garage racks, ex. this one: Unit Garage BMW R9T Rear Double Asymmetric Luggage Rack) has crucial weak point - it's supported only by 4 screws, and "pulling force" is directly towards down... If you're looking for stylish and light mounting system for side bags it should work fine.
But (once again: my personal opinion) for offroad terrain & heavy duty use its insufficient. That's why I've decided to select : SW Motech racks and simple rear rack from Aliexpress. And it fits fine :LOL:

As an alternative I might recommend HOLAN racks (be prepared for long time delivery) and side bags from Rhinobag or Kriega... Might be with mounting plates...

·
Registered
2022 Scrambler, HD Rocker FXCWC;
635 Posts
The UG rack for the Al cases mounts different than the above;

This fits also to the subframe/pax support, so much better distribution of the load!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The UG rack for the Al cases mounts different than the above;

This fits also to the subframe/pax support, so much better distribution of the load!
Yup just fit a set to my Turban. Just as robust as anything I fit on other bikes by Touratech or factory BMW

Only complaint is the RH side rack is slightly canted from vertical

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the Unit Garage INOX rack and a set of Atlas bags with BMW locks and have zero regrets.

If you use the search function, there is an entire thread discussing luggage options for the R Nine T.
Thanks! I had looked at other threads, but most of them were pre-2020, and it seems like UG has updated their racks since them. Im leaning towards the INOX, but I'm not sure why it's >$100 than their double asymmetric rack. Oh well, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@baronvonurchin

I had similar "issue" weeks ago... And I came "against the grain" (upstream). My personal opinion is: luggage rack mounted underneath (like Unit's Garage racks, ex. this one: Unit Garage BMW R9T Rear Double Asymmetric Luggage Rack) has crucial weak point - it's supported only by 4 screws, and "pulling force" is directly towards down... If you're looking for stylish and light mounting system for side bags it should work fine.
But (once again: my personal opinion) for offroad terrain & heavy duty use its insufficient. That's why I've decided to select : SW Motech racks and simple rear rack from Aliexpress. And it fits fine :LOL:

As an alternative I might recommend HOLAN racks (be prepared for long time delivery) and side bags from Rhinobag or Kriega... Might be with mounting plates...
Yeah, I was a little concerned about the limited attachment points on the asymmetric rack. Maybe that's why it's a lower price point?

Good looking out on the Holan racks! I hadn't seen them in my previous searches, they're way more aesthetically pleasing than the Givi set up. My only concern with Holan's pannier frame rack is how far back the rack sits (similar to the UG racks). The Nelson Rigg bags I have lash to pannier racks, but also have straps across the pillion seat. I wonder if the Holan's and UG are offset a little too far back to make that work. Only one way to find out I guess!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup just fit a set to my Turban. Just as robust as anything I fit on other bikes by Touratech or factory BMW

Only complaint is the RH side rack is slightly canted from vertical
Is that offset to accommodate for the exhaust? My biggest concern with softbags is always heat shield failure (from first hand experience).

·
Registered
843 Posts
My only concern with Holan's pannier frame rack is how far back the rack sits (similar to the UG racks). The Nelson Rigg bags I have lash to pannier racks, but also have straps across the pillion seat. I wonder if the Holan's and UG are offset a little too far back to make that work. Only one way to find out I guess!
I thought Holan offered a version that is farther forward as well. The 'solo' versus 'driver/passenger'. Which Nelson Rigg bags do you have? I've been looking at the new Hurricane and wonder how they would fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I don't quite get what you are trying to say.
RH side frame case doesn’t sit quite straight on a vertical axis so with the pannier mounted the bottom edge of the pannier kicks out a bit farther than the top by a couple degrees….could be I’m to fussy but to me it’s noticeable . Think a box of cereal tilted slightly

If I could figure out how to post pics to the forum from an iPad I’d share

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought Holan offered a version that is farther forward as well. The 'solo' versus 'driver/passenger'. Which Nelson Rigg bags do you have? I've been looking at the new Hurricane and wonder how they would fit.
Ah yeah, I see that now. I plan on only using the passenger seat in case my lady wants to ride. I think the "solo" rack is able to sit further forward because you can't necessarily have a pillion in that configuration.

I have the Sierra Drybags from Nelson Rigg, they're awesome! They might not exactly fit the aesthetic of the NineT, but they're perfect for mutli-day trips (solo, or with a pillion) and can seriously take a beating (ask me how I know). The Hurricanes look great too, I like that they're one-offs and can be detached and turned into a backpack. With the Sierras, I wouldn't want to walk away from the bike for too long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts