BMW NineT Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
The "running-in service" also includes throttle bodies sync, check all bolts, and check for/clear any computer codes. Maybe a valve clearance check, too. If not, then definitely at 6k miles.

I think you need a diagnostic device for the throttle bodies and computer codes work. There are a couple devices out there for Beemers, including a couple models of the GS-911. They aren't cheap, but then again nothing is with a BMW. But I don't know how important the sync is, especially on what is essentially a like-new machine.
The "running-in service" TB sync made my bike smoother to ride and reduced the over run popping from the exhaust.
(Got this service done at the dealer)

I'm a little disappointed there's no low-cost/free software for the bikes for things like throttle body sync. I did read something about ISTA functioning for BMW bikes and I have it for my car, so I may see if I can make it work. I'm not going to sweat it for now though as the bike seems to be running great.

Hi All, brand new member and not (yet) an owner. Love the looks, the marque, and feel like the R Nine T is the "right bike" for me. Currently riding a 2012 Triumph Scrambler, and took out a 2019 Triumph Scrambler XE (1200) and loved what it had over my bike. Hoping the R Nine T will be the same in that regard--tons of torque, better balance in spite of being a bigger bike, and modern tech. Have targeted the UGS in the lineup and see what seems to be a decent deal locally but as with every thing I do, tending to over analyze the situation and am questioning what could be wrong.

Bike is a 2018 has <800 miles. That's it. That's my concern. Why would you drop 15k on a bike and then not ride it? As I've begun consuming this site (awesome btw), I run across a lot of "personality" issues with the bike. I'm OK with that in general but there does seem to be some outliers with actual issues. I haven't even seen this bike in person yet, but assuming I do go to check it out, are there any surefire ways to ensure this isn't a problem child? 4 years old and the bike's at a non-BMW dealer, which also gives me pause. But it's really the 200 miles per year that makes me think someone bought this bike and then didn't like it for some reason. And traded it in for something else.

I guess to be specific, I'm concerned with the transmission: low-speed clunkiness and 5th or 6th dis-engaging and dropping a gear. For all the issues with my 10 year old bike, the Triumph tranny is rock solid. Not familiar with dry clutch and not sure I'd pick up an issue on a ride around the block. Anyone have any input?
For what its worth i swapped from my Triumph and have no regrets to a 2 year old bike with all the extras with 800 miles on it...Just take the discount and other people's misfortune and ride it!!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Yes, I did! Enjoying it a lot. I think I mentioned it in my intro post, but I learned the bike was owned by the lighting company Motodemic, so it's on their page for the R9T lights. I think it just sat. So that at least explains the miles. Not sure how it was broken in, so I changed the oil and final drive juice and am riding it hard. Currently getting horrible milage, maybe 30MPG (US), and I think burning oil too, but I think I've read that's possible if not exactly normal at this mileage.

I'm at about 23k on my 2018 Urban GS and get about 150-160 miles to a tank (highway). About 120-130 miles mixed usage until the reserve light comes on. It's not very aero.

Still sips on oil. Just make sure to check the oil every-other fuel up.

I bought it used with about 1,400 miles on the odometer in Sept 2018 from a dealer that probably got it at auction. It's been flawless. Rear brake pads wear quickly with stop-and-go commuter usage.

I thought ALL Gee esses were urban? Great looking bike, would buy privately or from a BMW dealer where you get the BMW 2 year used bike warranty, it does not make sense to buy from a non bmw dealer when the asking price will be identical. Never had a Triumph so can not sing their virtues. The R9T concept is proven, brilliant powerplant that out trumps the trumpet

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I'm at about 23k on my 2018 Urban GS and get about 150-160 miles to a tank (highway). About 120-130 miles mixed usage until the reserve light comes on. It's not very aero.

Still sips on oil. Just make sure to check the oil every-other fuel up.

I bought it used with about 1,400 miles on the odometer in Sept 2018 from a dealer that probably got it at auction. It's been flawless. Rear brake pads wear quickly with stop-and-go commuter usage.
I've put about 1100 miles on mine so far, total of ~1750. I'm getting the light at 140 miles now and then going about 20 more before filling. Computer and back of receipt calculations are consistently at 41. I'm happy with that. The 30MPG I mentioned above was probably a combination of inconsistent filling on the tank when I rode with a bunch of crazy folks on super bikes.

The oil was down half a liter after 500 miles post oil change, and down again now but not enough to get the bottle out yet. So using more oil than I'd like to see but I'll ride it out and keep an eye on it. I don't think I'm outside "normal" consumption ranges.

Two months and a thousand miles later, no regrets.

I get around 150 miles out of mine before the reserve light comes on. I have about 5000 miles on the clock now, it used 500ml oil in the last 2000 miles. Most of my riding is out on the open roads and the max speed here in NZ is only 60mph. Most of the roads I ride are twisty as hell so top speed isn't an issue anyway.

I have owned a couple of bikes with these cam-head boxer engines and they do take time to break in. The oil consumption usually goes down with mileage and should level off to well within BMW's spec after about 10,000 miles. At 30,000 miles my 2010 GS was only using 500ml between services with open road riding, and just about felt like it was fully run in.

Oil consumption will go up with heat, if you are driving in town for extended periods in hot weather then expect the consumption to be higher. Out on the open road it will likely use less.

Ride the crap out of them, keep an eye on the oil level sight glass and don't worry about it. Be thankful they only burn a bit of oil and don't leave it all over the garage floor like my old Triumphs ;)

I've put about 1100 miles on mine so far, total of ~1750. I'm getting the light at 140 miles now and then going about 20 more before filling. Computer and back of receipt calculations are consistently at 41. I'm happy with that. The 30MPG I mentioned above was probably a combination of inconsistent filling on the tank when I rode with a bunch of crazy folks on super bikes.

The oil was down half a liter after 500 miles post oil change, and down again now but not enough to get the bottle out yet. So using more oil than I'd like to see but I'll ride it out and keep an eye on it. I don't think I'm outside "normal" consumption ranges.

Two months and a thousand miles later, no regrets.
Sounds like youve adopted a healthy baby bike!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.