BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-I am a new owner and am surprised at the lack of low end.I have never owned a twin BMW before but have owned many(12) bikes and also ride dirt..please let me know if this is the way it is or if I need to man up and rev up...bigsmiles

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
BigSmiles, its exactly what Marc says. Give it some time before you start your power mods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its curious that you say that.
I quite enjoy its power at the low end. No problems riding at 55kph in 6th.

But as everyone says, a boxer just gets better and better.
I had an R1100S that felt really smooth once it hit 60000km or so.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Its curious that you say that.
I quite enjoy its power at the low end. No problems riding at 55kph in 6th.

But as everyone says, a boxer just gets better and better.
I had an R1100S that felt really smooth once it hit 60000km or so.
Yeah I fail to see anything lacking in the pull off of low revs.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I constantly skip 2nd and 4th WITHOUT reving!

I'm usually going from 1st to 3rd and then straight to 5th or even 6th... and that is in town at speeds up to 70km/h only.

I found the torque from below exceptional and hardly bother going above 4 thousand. I just love how it pulls away from the bottom range while being lazy with the gear-changes.

I've had two XJR 1300 in my riding-life and have always loved how they never really needed to be thrashed. For me the NineT is even nicer torque-wise...

...and yes, I very much enjoy my cruisin' :)

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
I have never thought that there was a lack of low end torque on 1200 boxer?? Try catless headers, although this usually addresses the response and torque in the mid-range

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
*EDIT* I've had two XJR 1300 in my riding-life and have always loved how they never really needed to be thrashed. For me the NineT is even nicer torque-wise...

...and yes, I very much enjoy my cruisin' :)
That's what I like about the 9T.....you can be a hooligan if you want and it will handle that easily, but it is equally happy cruising along, and for me it gives me just as much pleasure if I'm in the mood to chill and enjoy the world passing by and the noise of the bike. A bike for all emotions really.

Can't say I've really missed any low-down torque...

·
Registered
Black 9T classic, Tracer 700, Xs650, montesa 315r, classic mini
38 Posts
Is this bike different to the one you had in 2014 then?

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
@Jonacol I don't understand your question or who you are directing it to, is it me? And by "this bike" do you mean your bike, if so you'll have to give more details such as year of manufacture...

·
Registered
Black 9T classic, Tracer 700, Xs650, montesa 315r, classic mini
38 Posts
No the OP Bigsmiles, his profile indicates that he joined in 2014.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
154 Posts
Looks like you have been replying to a post of 2014, Jonacol :)

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
266 Posts
That's what I like about the 9T.....you can be a hooligan if you want and it will handle that easily, but it is equally happy cruising along, and for me it gives me just as much pleasure if I'm in the mood to chill and enjoy the world passing by and the noise of the bike. A bike for all emotions really.

Can't say I've really missed any low-down torque...
Since this old thread was already resurrected, I'm going to reply to Dave's post.

One of things I really love about my new R9T Pure is how wonderful it is at just "cruising along," as Dave said above. This bike will get up and run nicely, too, of course. But it's just an easier bike to do a relaxing ride down a rural highway than my previous bike, which is a sporty sport-tourer. An R1200R (or R1250R) is probably a great happy medium between these two machines, but at this point in my motorcycling life I like that my Pure has a bit rawer feel than the newer water-cooled boxers.

As for the torque, I don't find it lacking at all. My bike only has 1,600 miles on it, so while it's technically broken in, it's not really broken in. I expect it will just get smoother as time and miles accumulate, much as it did on my last bike, which finally felt really broken in at 10,000 miles. My only thing right now is not whacking the throttle open with the rpms too low, as I don't want to lug the engine. Since my Pure doesn't have a tachometer, I'm erring on the side of caution. But even being a little careful with it, I think there is plenty of torque down low.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine has close to 5000 miles on it & there is a world of difference to when it was new! Also, I removed the flapper valve in the exhaust & installed a pair of Leo Vince shoot gun pipes. Run free now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts