BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Classic warns of low fuel, etc. when there is still about a half tank of fuel. And then it takes only 2.2 gallons to fill. After filling, the low fuel icon does not disappear even after riding another 50 miles. Is this a simple computer fix or major tear down of fuel tank, etc.?

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
Question: When you have half a tank left and the low fuel warning light pops on, are you leaning the bike in curves, or just riding in a straight line?

I ask because I've noticed the light come on early a couple times, but I was cornering pretty good when it did. The light went off shortly after when the sensor/computer realized there was more fuel in the tank than it thought.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Question: When you have half a tank left and the low fuel warning light pops on, are you leaning the bike in curves, or just riding in a straight line?

I ask because I've noticed the light come on early a couple times, but I was cornering pretty good when it did. The light went off shortly after when the sensor/computer realized there was more fuel in the tank than it thought.
TIM !!! Whose looking at the gages in the middle of a pretty good turn, ...I’m looking to see what’s in the road I might have to avoid, how much of the turn is left to me, where is the apex and how close is my knee to the concrete .... fuel light ? at that point who cares. When I think about that Tim I realize how old school I really am, I still don’t know how to completely read my clocks properly and interpret all the information they offer. Next they’ll have sensors in the helmet that watch your eye movement and if you close them to long the bike will zap you through the grips to wake you up. Put that one on the market Tim, Shark-Tank .......Blitz

Reactions: TimC

·
Registered
135 Posts
My experience: 17L steel tank gas (pure).

First of all. I refill tank top even 1 Inch above inner red plastic piece you can see inside tank.

Riding open Roads (no city) in 5/6 gears and speed about 100km/h my range is 270km. At this moment low fuel light appears. Acording to owners manual gas left in tank must be 3,5L that should provide 40km? adition range. So total range 310km? Aprox.

If bike use is for commuting among traffic jams towns/city or enjoying "Sport style" twisty roads range get reduce to 230km+40km (reserve) = 270km total aprox.

Refering to low light level in&out sooner than expected I noticed it when climbing mountain. Inclination can confused system. Worst thing is when descending Mountains. System think is plenty fuel and suddenly when you stay flat you are out of gas!!!!!

Only advice I give you is put trip 0km every time refill tank. Is only way to control/check range.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
TIM !!! Whose looking at the gages in the middle of a pretty good turn, ...I’m looking to see what’s in the road I might have to avoid, how much of the turn is left to me, where is the apex and how close is my knee to the concrete .... fuel light ? at that point who cares. When I think about that Tim I realize how old school I really am, I still don’t know how to completely read my clocks properly and interpret all the information they offer. Next they’ll have sensors in the helmet that watch your eye movement and if you close them to long the bike will zap you through the grips to wake you up. Put that one on the market Tim, Shark-Tank .......Blitz
Lol, trust me, my friend -- I'm not looking at the gauge while I'm cornering. Most places I ride in Ohio you have to look for gravel in every corner. I just happened to notice the little yellow warning triangle and mileage counter after exiting the corner a couple times. Also, it sounds like your knees get much closer to the ground than mine do, and that's just awesome! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm riding straight up on a major road, no leaning. AND after filling tank with only 2.2 gallons, icon and warning light won't go out! Also, the count down (Trip R) milage counts UP not down to empty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
:unsure: I am not sure if I am understand well. If warning low level won´t go out after fill probably you have some problem. Oldies R1150/1200R/GS had problems with their level fuel indicator. But in Ninet we don´t have this level indicator. We only have low level warning light. So I don´t know what can be. Only for clarifying when I said to use trip to check/control range I want mean standar trips (you have 2 I think). Renew at 0 km everytime you fill top gas tank. You will be able to predict approximately how much range have you already got or when low level warning light is next to get on...

Effectively Trip R doesn´t help us so much. It only counts UP... It doesn´t show the real limit of range. More than 40km (24?miles) I wouldn´t try.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
I'm no tech, but my guess is the fuel level sensor could be out of place, so the computer thinks you have less fuel left than is actually in the tank. Or maybe the sensor is just faulty. If your bike is still under warranty I'd think this would be covered. (Crossing my fingers for you.)

Also, the counter that appears after the low fuel level warning light is working correctly. It does count up, so you can see how many miles/kilometers you've traveled since the light came on. Since the R9T doesn't have an actual fuel gauge, there's no way for it to have a countdown to empty display.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I now understand why it counts "UP." It is still in warranty and I've scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. Hope it's something they can fix same day as dealer is far away and don't want to make the trip a second time.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks. I now understand why it counts "UP." It is still in warranty and I've scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. Hope it's something they can fix same day as dealer is far away and don't want to make the trip a second time.
Hey Oldjoel, about your dealer, explain what’s happening to your mechanic so he’s prepared to do what ever it takes in one trip ... call him, what could it hurt?. May save you a second trip. I hope it’s simple, I’ve got a feeling is something simple. I always take something to read to pass the time... maybe a candy bar too... good luck, enjoy the ride, StayUpOn2 ....Blitz

Reactions: Lelc2

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
Hey Oldjoel, about your dealer, explain what’s happening to your mechanic so he’s prepared to do what ever it takes in one trip ... call him, what could it hurt?. May save you a second trip. I hope it’s simple, I’ve got a feeling is something simple. I always take something to read to pass the time... maybe a candy bar too... good luck, enjoy the ride, StayUpOn2 ....Blitz
@oldjoel -- You could also ask if they have any demo bikes available you take for a spin while you're waiting. 😉

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Demo rides? They don't offer demo rides or even have an R Nine T on the floor to measure/study/compare. Both dealers are multi-brand "Powersport" dealers and I'm imagining haven't encountered many BMW Option 719 "unique" questions to be of help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have now ran out of gas twice - luckily not far from help or in a critical situation. First time I was not aware of the signals (if any) and the second time driving waiting for the signal - so now I suspect something not working properly. I drove 347 km in one tank before empty, and the next filling was done at 308 km without any warning signal turning on. (3,2 liters left). After the low fuel signal has turned on will it turn of if you stop engine ? I got no recognized warning signals the last km before the tank was empty - will the yellow warning continue until filling the tank?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, fuel mileage is diappointing - getting 250km before sweating the last 20km. this reminds me to order a 1 liter fuel bottle holder that matches up and straps on to my Kreiga.
maybe order two. one for fuel and one for the after party.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts