BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And I did manage to pull the brackets as much against the bridge as possible by cutting a bit more of the instrument bracket edges and by using screws with smaller heads. To fully seat the brackets up against the bridge it would require milling a slot in the bracket or in the bridge bolt slots but I prefer not to do either of those. LSL could do that for us though, thereby supplying a truly custom product but that's not the case.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That looks like the ticket! Looking forward to seeing your results, please post up your install "tips and tricks"

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And a quick update, after installing the new Luismoto.it seat covers:

Installing these co ers is not for the faint of heart. You will need a electric/pneumatic staple gun, a heat gun, lots of force, stretching pulling, swearing and a truckload of patience. And the hump pad cover DOES not fit, regardless of patience or whatever. I will have to come back to Luismoto.it about that tomorrow.

Otherwise, love the look, comfort and overall effect.

BTW, I managed to have a total of 30 minutes ride today, before it started raining again, and loved the new riding position, it is just so much more involved in the riding than with the standard wide and high handlebar. It is now much more of a roadster/cafe racer and less of a tourer.

BTW, forgot to mention, the easiest (invisible) mod so far and also one that packs one of the biggest effect: Schwabenmax Fastgas (https://schwabenmax.de/index.php?cat=KAT1334&lang=ENG&product=KHG-+B7-0). This is essencial! It makes you feel as if you have a 200hp bike. It is just so much of a better feel in the hand!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seat looks great, I had a similar install experience with the Unit Garage cover.

So the Fastgas product is very interesting - I imagine it gives you a sharper throttle response. But what about slow speed around town - does it give a harder to control, abrupt fuelling feel? Does it work with heated grips?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So the Fastgas product is very interesting - I imagine it gives you a sharper throttle response. But what about slow speed around town - does it give a harder to control, abrupt fuelling feel? Does it work with heated grips?
It shortens the throttle grip travel by about 20% or so and the feel is that it is a faster bike but slow speed maneuvering is not a problem. I had a chance to do some zigzag filtering and lane splitting yesterday and it was just fine. I can definitely recommend this.

As a side note the seller says all of the Boxer Cup will have this installed from next year’s season.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Heated grips?
Ah, yes, forgot to answer, sorry. I do have heated grips and it's irrelevant for this mod. The throttle wheel is the same for heated grips/non-heated grips and this just a piece of aluminium that slots in the wheel, thereby increasing the diameter of the wheel, hence reducing the angle of turn required to pull the same length of cable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OK thanks laalves! I'll definitely consider this mod - I can see how it would be helpful if you want to get on the throttle hard coming out of a corner, which is obviously why the race bikes will have it.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
And now a mod to my previous mod.

IMO, the original bar ends are one of the key design features of this bike as they resonate with several other elements of the bike so I decided I wanted them back, instead of the Rizoma caps of the MA533B bar ends I installed.

Anybody interested doing this for any aftermarket handlebar may do the same. In my case, the LSL stubs have an inner diameter of 14mm (actually 13.87mm...) and the standard 22mm outside.

The BMW bolt that goes into the bar ends is a M12 which means it has a 12mm diameter which ruled out threading the bar end. The choice was then to use an expansion bushing like most bar ends. Trouble is, the smallest diameter bushings for M12 bolts I could find were 16mm. So I had to bore the handlebars with a 16mm drill bit:

From a hardware store I got a pair of donor bolts+bushing sets:

From those, I only used the threaded bushing and the plastic spacer. Below you see those and the Rizoma 16mm expansion aluminium bushing. I decided to use the Rizoma one (which I had to bore to 12mm as it was 8mm) instead of the steel hardware store sourced one. I didn't want a hard steel bushing pressing against the soft aluminium tube.

I also had to enlarge the 8mm hole in the MA533B Rizoma bar end for the M12 bolt to go through:

And here's the exploded assembly:

And now assembled, before installation:

And here they are:

Can't wait for the rain to stop and be able to go for a relaxed ride, testing my new setup, which should be Sunday/Monday, we've been having 30 to 50mm of that a day.... :(

And........ a Öhlins BM652 is on its way, should be here in time for Xmas!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yesterday a small pack of goodies arrived, made by Eoswing off the well known auction site:

Frame caps. These are lovely and machined in aluminium. A few months ago I wasted my money on the Puig plastic equivalent. They all popped out and lost almost all of them during the first ride.

These have rubber o-rings and snap in very tightly and even make a quite satisfying click.

Still, they could make one bigger, tube like one to plug the uglier of all these, which is the salient nut on the stud just above.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yesterday a small pack of goodies arrived, made by Eoswing off the well known auction site:

Frame caps. These are lovely and machined in aluminium. A few months ago I wasted my money on the Puig plastic equivalent. They all popped out and lost almost all of them during the first ride.

These have rubber o-rings and snap in very tightly and even make a quite satisfying click.

Still, they could make one bigger, tube like one to plug the uglier of all these, which is the salient nut on the stud just above.
Hi @laalves - I like the look of these.
I searched for EOSWING on the auction site and found their store.
They had various badges but couldn't spot these aluminium frame plugs.

I know we can't post eBay links in the forum - could you message me the link please.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,295 Posts
I found the set under one of their listings.
Just get the code of the ones you like from their pictures, and look in the drop-down order boxes for the set.
Thanks for posting these, just what I have been wanting! (y)

·
Registered
401 Posts
OK - I found them .. the 10 part pack of frame plugs is "hidden" in a listing that shows a photo of 3 frame plugs with logos.
Anyway - ordered.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK - I found them .. the 10 part pack of frame plugs is "hidden" in a listing that shows a photo of 3 frame plugs with logos.
Anyway - ordered.
Sorry for my silence, I have been away for Xmas and Year's end vacation. But, yeah, these listings are a bit confusing, I guess they wanted to save on ebay listing costs.

Anyway, here's my latest gem from them:

And the end result:

This Eoswing concern really does some some high quality stuff, not your regular chinese product, this is very well made, single billet aluminium very well machined. It slots very tightly in the inner hole with the help of two o-rings to keep the pressure, it doesn't even touch the nut itself.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
And today was wrapping day:

I used DEI's Titanium Black 2" wrap. The image above is the very beginning of the process. I used plastic ties temporarily and later replaced those with stainless steel ones.

This was going on the left side, tricky going around the crosstube joint and around the O2 sensor.

This is the end product.

On the right side it becomes evident that a 2"x25ft roll is not enough :( Just ordered another 15" roll. So, fellas, get the 50" from the start to avoid the above frustration....

Anyway, a few days ago I also applied:

TripMachine leather wrap on the grips. Contributes a bit more to the retro look.

This week I also ended up getting and installing some BMW HP carbon and BMW brushed metal:

I was positively surprised to find that the two side covers are actually just carbon, not glass fibre or plastic covered with carbon, they are actually carbon.

The ignition cover though, is indeed plastic covered with carbon. I don't think it could be reliably done in any other way.

The negative surprise was the "Made in Thailand" stickers. I was fully expecting a "Made in Germany" sticker, given the prices of these things. I don't like that.

Nonetheless, the snorkel cover is now a centerpiece of the bike. The pictures don't make it justice.

The brushed hump looks really classy. Am toying with the idea of applying a black vinyl strip to continue the line of the tank. Can always peel it away if I don't like it.

And here she is, as of today:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Her again, basking under the winter sun, near the end of a 400km ride today for an event of the BMW Motoclub.
It was really chilly after the sun set but it was still a great ride and thoroughly enjoyed drooling over everybody else’s bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Laalves,
Great looking R9T! (y)
Is that center stand made by BMW or is some 3rd party part? I would like to have some kind of center stand for maintenance purposes and that might be a good option.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts