BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
And the final result:

She's out of the garage finally and in 30 min or so, will be taken for a ride after the suite of maintenance/upgrades she went through in the last 2 weeks: ceramic coating, lithium battery, Machined valve and belt covers.

I love this look, in my eyes a great improvement over the stock chromed headers which I don't think suit the rest of the bike, even in a full stock form.

My final conclusion: the R nineT is certainly one of the most beautiful bikes in the market today, and a few touches, it only improves.

The next upgrade and potentially the final one, in terms of bigger, expensive upgrades will be 脰hlins cartridges for the forks.

Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
Very pretty work! Now, protect your center stand, like this

Details in post #74 here Central Stand for BMW R NineT Family
and you can even go out protected from those harsh Portuguese Atlantic sea salt winds! Enjoy!!!

Registered
Congrats!
Well done and in general there is good attention to detail e.g. the oil cooler side covers.
IMHO the gold forks are out of place as there is no other color-matched component. But each to his own, it is a subjective thing.

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Congrats!
Well done and in general there is good attention to detail e.g. the oil cooler side covers.
IMHO the gold forks are out of place as there is no other color-matched component. But each to his own, it is a subjective thing.
Thx! And yes, I have been getting rid of some the non-matching colours but decided I like the gold. Actually, I even added the LSL stub handlebars in gold, so I ended up colour-matching that.

I thought about black powder coating, vinyl wrapping or exchanging with black 脰hlins but (and honestly much to my surprise) ended up disliking the black in that particular application and found the bike to become dull and missing a big part of its character. Thus, gold it is!

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
And some more carbon today, front indicator mounts and lower cylinder covers from rsrmoto.com:

Already ordered, but only available on February, the Ilmberger starter cover and active carbon canister support. Plastic is highly pollutant, getting rid of it ;)

Registered
Did Ilmberger give you an estimated ship date that you're referring to? I have the lower Rocker cylinder head covers on order since July, so far they haven't said when they will be able to ship those, just that they will be getting them done asap but they are jammed due to covid.

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Did Ilmberger give you an estimated ship date that you're referring to? I have the lower Rocker cylinder head covers on order since July, so far they haven't said when they will be able to ship those, just that they will be getting them done asap but they are jammed due to covid.
February... actually I ordered from G&G in Holland. Let鈥檚 see, if it gets delayed, I鈥檒l cancel.

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Today I tried to order a 脰hlins fork cartridge set only to learn that 脰hlins will only have them available mid to late May. No joy then, so instead, I installed a low tone horn :) (from a BMW car, off the auction site). It doesn't sound like a scooter beep or like a PC motherboard piezzo when Windows explodes, it sounds like a horn proper.

I had to lift the tank just a bit to insert the bigger horn but to remove the original one, that is not needed, I managed to do it with a 13mm socket+1/4 cardan+200mm extension+100mm extension+1/4 ratchet. It works from the left side of the bike, behind the frame. It's a knuckle scratcher but doable.

To lift the front of the tank, I didn't need to remove the seat support brackets as I just lifted it about 5 cm, just enough to squeeze the bigger horn through. I put a 5mm-thick strip of black foam tape between the steering head and the horn itself, putting some pressure and preventing the horn from scuffing the paint.

I'm really disappointed with the 脰hlins issue, just today I received the last tool I needed to that job, I've been collecting them for the last few months getting ready for this and now: not available.

It may have to do with the fact they are busy with a recall, building a few thousand front dampers for their Porsche 996/997 Turbo/Carrera 4/4S aftermarket coilover kit. A few of the original versions sheared off on the top mount interface. I know this because I'm affected and am waiting on those replacements for my car.

Attachments

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
You can get these instead: BMW R Nine T R9T Carbon Fibre Cylinder Head Covers (Twill Gloss) | RSR Moto - RSR Moto

I'm very happy with the quality of the parts you see above, the front indicator supports/fairings and the lower cylinder cowls. After my purchase, both are out of stock.

With their twill gloss finish, they are a perfect colour, pattern and brightness match to my other original BMW carbon parts.

Registered
You can get these instead: BMW R Nine T R9T Carbon Fibre Cylinder Head Covers (Twill Gloss) | RSR Moto - RSR Moto

I'm very happy with the quality of the parts you see above, the front indicator supports/fairings and the lower cylinder cowls. After my purchase, both are out of stock.

With their twill gloss finish, they are a perfect colour, pattern and brightness match to my other original BMW carbon parts.
Thanks for that, the quality looks nice and the price is right, but I still prefer the design of the Ilmberger ones so I guess I'll wait it out. I'm sure they will get their production issues sorted. I'll look at some RSR stuff in the future though.

Registered
2019 BMW R NineT
Want to genuinely thank you for the detailed documentation. Quick question for you. What did you think about the leather grip wraps and exhaust heat wraps. Would you suggest them?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Want to genuinely thank you for the detailed documentation. Quick question for you. What did you think about the leather grip wraps and exhaust heat wraps. Would you suggest them?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Well, I had both and got rid of both.

The leather grips, the patina they gain after some time you either like that or not. In my case, I didn鈥檛. Further, I had chosen brown and after a while I didn鈥檛 like that as well, I think maybe black would have suited this bike better.
All in all, the thicker and retro looking Ariete I have now suit the bike perfectly IMHO.

Re the exhaust wrap, it starts getting pale yellow which I suppose is the original colour of the raw material and the dye they use just burns away. The wrap manufacturer suggests high temp paint but I ended up deciding for the ceramic coat as permanent, zero maintenance solution to the chrome delete objective.

Both wrap and grips gave the bike a more ratbike/rural element to it but I think I like the retro-high-tech-sophisticated look better.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts