BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
This just in:

Öhlins FKS505 at an excellent discount, plus springs and oil. Tools were here waiting for quite sometime.

Plan on doing a DIY on them, using the tools from the British ebay seller that I believe is well known already. Good thing I got them before Brexit, a friend of mine is waiting for a package to come from the UK and it has returned to base 3 times already due to paperwork issues.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
And there she is, looking sad. The right side fork is done and is perfect, no leaks. The left one, I botched it, unfortunately, by having the lower tube slip from my oily gloves and come out of the outer tube. Trying to put it back, I ruined the seal and despite having assembled the fork, it will have to be disassembled again to replace the seals. I've ordered them, together with the seal installation tools.

It will be a few days without a bike but it's raining outside everyday and there's a lockdown in place as well, I'm not missing many riding opportunities.

On the left side, I started to disassemble the front tire to go tubeless using 3M 4211N tape and/or Sika Marine seal, I have both on hand and will evaluate what I will do.

I once had a fall with my XT350 because of the front tube deflating suddenly whilst on a right turn. I slid to the opposite side of the road and nearly got killed by oncoming traffic, but in the end I was unscathed. Having tubes in this bike is something that always had me worry in the back of my head so will try this. However, the tire levers kit I got from Amazon came with a joke of rim protectors that protect nothing, so I stopped my effort and am waiting on the well reviewed Motion Pro ones.

So, a rather frustrating sequence of work, which has resulted in motorcycling pause :(

Hopefully, in a week's time, all be well again.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
So, after a work trip to Dubai, I landed and went for the parts and tools to replace the left fork seal.

The BMW tools are expensive but are really good and beautifully made. They worked very well and simple to use. The seal kit is too expensive for what it is but well, it was my fault that I messed it up.

Looking back at the process to install seals, I'm convinced that if I had reinserted the lower tube wrapped in plastic and being extremely careful, I might have not destroyed the seal.

Above is the lower tube all setup with tools and the components of the seal kit to go into the upper tube.

I also took the front wheel out to balance after I converted it to tubeless.

Finally, she is back in one piece:

And these were the special tools I used for the fork cartridges installation and for the fork seal replacement:

The three on top are from an ebay Brit seller who makes them (Öhlins tools replicas) Worked very well.

The topmost one is a holder for the 58mm forks of our bikes (he made it for me), the black tube is to hold the cartridge in place whilst torquing the lower bolt and the cadmium coloured tube is the piston puller.

The black tube halves are the BMW tools for the fork seal.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Went for a short test ride today, it wasn't raining but I had to ride only in back roads nearby to avoid any lockdown checkpoints :(

I haven't tuned the front suspension yet, just the basic settings from the Öhlins manual for 90kgs rider (8 turns for spring pre-load + 12 clicks both for rebound and compression, no sag checks) but I'm impressed already, no diving under braking, it's really much more composed and also feels much more compliant, instead of the constant kicks on the hands it's sort of plush. Very happy, tomorrow I'll measure sag and coordinate the tuning between front and back Öhlins using their iPhone app.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
So, just for a few small add ons:

New rear brake reservoir (just for looks)

Under engine protective plate

Adds a bit of weight but it's in the right place and gives me a bit of peace of mind, as the lower engine fins had already some chip marks and I didn't like that. This one is quite unobtrusive, almost invisible but it's still there doing its protective job. When the oil change comes, it'll be another 4 screws to remove - unless I end up modifying it with a nice round hole!

These are both Kedo products. The reservoir is actually a generic TRW but with a Kedo-made bracket and comes with new tube and hose screw-on clamps but I ended up reusing the original tube and I also used a Oetiker clamp, like the OEM ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Been looking for that Eoswing upper fork over for some time now but that "company" seems to have vanished. The website doesn't exist & the only place I can tell they might have a social media presence is Facebook (maybe a market there??) but I don't do FB so doesn't help. I've also checked at the usuals (auction, A-Xpress, etc) and nothing. I've seen some knockoffs but nothing as quality-looking as these. Anyone have any resources for them?

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Been looking for that Eoswing upper fork over for some time now but that "company" seems to have vanished. The website doesn't exist & the only place I can tell they might have a social media presence is Facebook (maybe a market there??) but I don't do FB so doesn't help. I've also checked at the usuals (auction, A-Xpress, etc) and nothing. I've seen some knockoffs but nothing as quality-looking as these. Anyone have any resources for them?
Had a quick look and they're not on ebay at the moment it seems. Maybe on vacation... It would be a shame if they disappeared as they do make some very good stuff.

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Minor update: went back to the original cans as the retro look ended up growing back on me and after installing, noticed I like the sound better. Additionally, put on new rubber, the rear was close to giving up the ghost and decided to change both to Michelin Power 5s. My second and subsequent fitments in my cars and bikes is always Michelin. And nothing beats new rubber on a bike to make me smile on a ride....😁😁😁😁

On a side note, back in October, I introduced my then 17-year old son to riding with a Honda CB125F that came with cheap, non-grippy and square-profiled CST tyres. I changed this week to Metzeler Roadtec 01 (couldn't get Michelins for the size needed) and I can't believe how they transformed the little bike. It now corners like a proper bike as the round profile of the Metzelers make it so easy and smooth to lean. The CSTs have an almost square profile, can't understand why.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire White Hood

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Another small update:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Bought a 2021 version USB power supply and a pre-made 20cm cable with two plugs from a French fellow in ebay to connect to the GPS plug and to the USB thingy. Then fabricated a steel plate to attach to the back of the existing tongue for the DIN plug. Had to exchange positions because the USB is very long in the back, no room for it.

Now I can charge my phone while in my pocket on longer trips listening to Waze prompts.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts