BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year ago was buying a R9T, took for a test ride and loved it. But price put me off to be honest. Coupled with fact my job wasn't really secure coming out of pandemic, company I work for was not sure it would survive, so I chose a bike with price in mind.
So I researched other makes and models. Guzzi V7 wasn't for me, Bonneville lovely but expensive overall, didn't like the look of the W800 , got talked into a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor. I won't get into a slanging match about the build quality and reliability of the Interceptor needles to say I didn't keep very long so I bought an old BMW R850R to keep me going, now I may regret getting rid of her for the R9T.
But I am in the market for an R9T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interceptor was OK but I did not like build quality, fuel indicator light a joke, mine had the handlebar brace slightly skew. Mine had a bad battery and I was never confident that going to start on me. All adds up .

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Interceptor was OK but I did not like build quality, fuel indicator light a joke, mine had the handlebar brace slightly skew. Mine had a bad battery and I was never confident that going to start on me. All adds up .
Hey Tuke, you pay for what you get Mate … most Brit bikes are Spartan. You have to love to tinker with them. Those who have them and love them also love to mess with them too, it’s part of the joy of ownership and heritage. The battery thing is all about you … change it. TR’s, BSA, Zundapp, Enfield, Vincent, Norton …..ALL lovely bikes… but carry a tool kit … With a new BMW … shaft-drive, fuel injected dream of a machine the only thing you’ll need to carry is a picnic basket because you’ll have nothing to do …but relax and enjoy a ride to the lake. You’ve owned a Boxer … you know the quality of German engineering … get your 9T … regret won’t be a part of your vocabulary any more ………StayUpOn2 Meister …………✌Blitz

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
706 Posts
Hey Tuke, you pay for what you get Mate … most Brit bikes are Spartan. You have to love to tinker with them.
Royal Enfield is not a British bike company and hasn't been since roughly 1960 when all equipment and manufacturing was moved to an Indian manufacturer. In fact until the 650 Twin models they were still using the same tooling and general engines from back then with only minor modifications, which is why the 650 Twins are such a big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Royal Enfield is not a British bike company and hasn't been since roughly 1960 when all equipment and manufacturing was moved to an Indian manufacturer. In fact until the 650 Twin models they were still using the same tooling and general engines from back then with only minor modifications, which is why the 650 Twins are such a big deal.
Well… your dead right … and when you comment I listen … but I think he was talking about an old R850R so I figured maybe the collectible English classics that many people covet, ..(what I was referring to).. would be a vintage old enough to indicate the quality ..(or lack there of).. old English machines, both motorcycles and automobiles …and I’ve had many ….Most were Pre 1960’s …Austin, TR, Morris, MG, Jag, Bristol …all wonderful examples of Spartan tech. ie…If it’s cold, you are cold. If it’s wet, your are wet. They all leaked oil had crappy electrical systems like Lucas and all were so damn much fun to own, work on and drive. My father bought a 1959 TR3 in 1960, I was eleven years old, that began my passion for Sports Cars and racing. 5 years later we put together a Lotus7 kit car in our one car garage, I’ve never gotten the grease out from under my finger nails and the passion has never left me. I sold my last Brit about 10 years ago … a pristine 1961 Austin Healey 3000 with, knock off wires, removable hard top, black over white with red interior … man I loved that car but it was just to much work for an old man like me.
So…. When world economics began to seriously control manufacturing of anything …and everything was sent elsewhere to be made.. because it was cheaper ..the nostalgia and heritage earned by those companies went with it …. I laugh at the HD boys who boast “Made in America” It’s such a crock …. Nothing is made where you think it was these day ……… Well actually … BMW is still in Bavaria ………isn’t it? Or was is Korea ? ……..Blitz 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DesertRoads

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21 2003 R1150RT
281 Posts
When I decided I wanted the NineT, I looked all over the place for a new Pure. I wanted it basic--mostly because of the price point. I rode several at a few dealerships, and was ready to plunk down the $13K USD (dealer fees, taxes, etc), then before heading into the dealer I thought I'd scouer BikeTrader and some other sites; then found a mint, low mileage 2015 Classic for half the price of a new Pure. The original owner babied it, and had all the paperwork on it. Perhaps you might be just as lucky to find a clean R Nine that's within your budget?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
When I decided I wanted the NineT, I looked all over the place for a new Pure. I wanted it basic--mostly because of the price point. I rode several at a few dealerships, and was ready to plunk down the $13K USD (dealer fees, taxes, etc), then before heading into the dealer I thought I'd scouer BikeTrader and some other sites; then found a mint, low mileage 2015 Classic for half the price of a new Pure. The original owner babied it, and had all the paperwork on it. Perhaps you might be just as lucky to find a clean R Nine that's within your budget?
That would be a good one @DesertRoads … I can testify, I’ve been riding a 2015 Classic now since 2016 …
I cannot fault anything that’s really important … Good suggestion and Great Value. 2015 is just before the 9T began to get a little to complicated with whistles and bells … but that’s just an old school opinion … ride it and you’ll know if it’s for you ……. Blitz

Reactions: DesertRoads

·
Administrator
13,495 Posts
Welcome and I hope your experience with the 9T makes you smile! :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,350 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I hope you have learned your lesson🥹
Yes, I learned my lesson Baloo 😇 many moons ago. It’s always good information delivered with a slightly grumpy attitude …but I’ve learned there’s a good heart ..and I'm sure a good man in there too … sometimes being right is actually more important than the value of the content about which your correct. But my friend don’t worry because nobody gets under my skin at this stage of my life …
………I now fully understand the somewhat flippant response .. “Yeah, Whatever” …….Blitz ✌😎

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had an RE Interceptor 650 before my R Nine T. I found the quality OK for the price, I sold it simply because I got a bit bored of the lack of performance. It sounded good though and the suspension was OK even though it was made to a budget, it wasn't rock hard like the suspension on my R Nine T Classic.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I had an RE Interceptor 650 before my R Nine T. I found the quality OK for the price, I sold it simply because I got a bit bored of the lack of performance. It sounded good though and the suspension was OK even though it was made to a budget, it wasn't rock hard like the suspension on my R Nine T Classic.
Well….. a 650cc to a 1200cc …that’s like comparing apples to eggs …. Soooo comparing suspensions is just as invalid. You are riding a much bigger motorcycle .. TWICE as big. I’ll bet they don’t corner the same either do they ? The R9T is nothing like your previous bike, was that Interceptor your first motorcycle ? How many other machines did you ride before deciding on the 9T ?
There are a ton of bikes out there with softer suspension that sound good and are likely less expensive too. If you get an aftermarket exhaust systems you can make the R9T sound any way you want ….
what’s the issue here …. Circle one: HAPPY…..or…..UNHAPPY…………. Blitz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts