BMW NineT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts
I did not like the brake feel at all, and after I went with radial masters I was amazed how much lighter the clutch was as well. Definitely a worth while upgrade.
The Beringer mastercylinders looks so good!
The OEM matercylinders and levers are really big in comparison. I didn't get so much lighter clutch pull, but I see that you went with a 12mm bore size that should make it even lighter (with longer level travel). Mine is 13, and are probably little lighter then OEM but can´t say it is by far.

The Beringer mastercylinders looks so good!
The OEM matercylinders and levers are really big in comparison. I didn't get so much lighter clutch pull, but I see that you went with a 12mm bore size that should make it even lighter (with longer level travel). Mine is 13, and are probably little lighter then OEM but can´t say it is by far.
Hi yes, Beringer recommends the 12mm for clutch, and 14mm for the brake master:
Shop Beringer Brakes Products - Beringer Brakes

I can not claim to be able to explain what difference a 14mm piston would do vs. a 12mm :)

Something came up in the Brembo thread regarding Magura bar clamps with mirror mounts, but I didn't want to muddy that thread.
Since this seems to the the official Magura thread (despite the title) I'll leave it here.

Magura does make bar clamps for their HC1 line that include a threaded mirror mount hole.

Clutch/Brake: Mirror mounting bracket M10 x 1,25 Order Code: 2701162 (1pc need to order x2)

Also moved the thread to the Wheels, Tires and Brakes section. I really like these Magura items. Will have to lay in some heavy hints for my birthday this year! LOL

Reactions: Dauphinais
There is a consensus that radial master cylinder (in that case Magura or other brands) are better than axial master cylinder (BMW OEM).

What does better mean?
  • more control
  • more linear
  • better feedback
  • lever (clutch or/and brake) can be lighter to pull depending on the master cylinder piston size that you choose.

I converted the clutch and break cylinders last year to to Magura HC1. I've been meaning to write this up so after a year of riding here are my findings.

Firstly, the shopping list consisted of;
HC1 13mm Clutch Master Cylinder for MINERAL OIL (!!!! make sure it's the 13mm Mineral Oil version, critically important !!!)
HC1 18mm Radial Brake Cylinder (HC1 Radial Brake Master Cylinder - Long Lever Blade - 18mm)
Hydraulic Lines ((1) 725mm CARBON HOSE - BLACK SWIVEL NUTS, (1) 1400mm CARBON HOSE BLACK SWIVEL NUTS)
Banjo Bolts etc. (1) M10 LONG BANJO STAINLESS, , (1) M10 STRAIGHT BANJO BLACK, (2) 10x1mm DOMED SINGLE BANJO BOLT BLACK, (8) 10MM COPPER WASHER, , (1) M10 20DEG BANJO BLACK, a(1) M10 STRAIGHT BANJO CHROME.
Mineral Oil (Magura Royal Blood Mineral Oil) for the clutch side.
2 Large Syringes (with 3mm clear tubing and 1.5mm tubing)
Magura Mirror clamps for HC1 (Magura default are sans mirror fitting) I also bought Ti bolts for this separately, sure why not!
Dot 4 Brake fluid.

Goes without saying that you've to take the bike apart (tank off etc.) but once you watch all the videos on Youtube you'll get a handle of it. Magura has a great video that explains the install process.

I had an issue with the particular item I bought, the cylinder was sticking, turns out I bought the wrong size (12mm). I got onto Magura and Conor kindly sorted it out. I have to say that Magura's customer service is amazing, you can clearly see that they love what they do and it shows in the products. I would buy their products all day long. I'd recommend if you have any question then lash them off an email Powersports@magura.de

So the upshot of this project is a lighter and more accurate feel to the brake. I also have a Ducati with full Brembo system and found the difference between the OEM Beemer Cylinders and these to be night and day, the HC1 is on par to the Brembo Master Cylinders. There is also better adjustment too.

The clutch is also lighter. I use two fingers when clutching and found the OEM to be tiresome after a while. I don't have this problem anymore. I have to say that the OEM lever makes for a very accurate gear change, I've never had an issue with that, just the lightness of feel. The HC1 just feels lighter and is just as accurate.

Now having said that, I've noticed that if I leave the bike rest (over winter for example) the pressure ever so slightly goes out of the clutch and needs a few pumps to get it back, this is weird and I'm not sure what is going on so if somebody does know I'd be glad of the info (once it doesn't mean I've to rebuild the system, if so please keep it to yourself ;))

I'd be happy to answer any specific build questions as I know this project is a doozy!

I received the conversion kit from Moto-Madness. I confirm that the straight to banjo adapter is included. So theoretically you shouldn't replace your lines. The build quality is really nice. For fellows Canadians that are interested to know, the duties are 50$. The kit is shipped from NY. Looking forward to install them.

Attachments

I received the conversion kit from Moto-Madness. I confirm that the straight to banjo adapter is included. So theoretically you shouldn't replace your lines. The build quality is really nice. For fellows Canadians that are interested to know, the duties are 50$. The kit is shipped from NY. Looking forward to install them.
Do you install adapter with the original o-rings or can they be left out?

So they still deliver ? Tried contacting them a couple of times about shipping costs to the Netherlands but never got an answer. Also their site shows the kit on back order. How long dit it take for yours to arrive ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 122 Posts