BMW NineT Forum banner

Magura Brake Clutch Master Cylinder

50K views 121 replies 44 participants last post by  skiptoids 
#1 ·
Magura HC1

Magura recently announced a new option for Brake and Clutch master cylinders - the HC1. Really nice slim design.

The good news is that these will be less than half the price of the HC3s.

Even better news is that there is a Clutch version that is designed for mineral oil! As in these will work on our bikes.

The not so good news is that they will still cost about $800U.S. a pair...

RobertVP

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Robert,

Thanks for the heads up, look like a great piece of kit, don't like the bulkyness of the original.

Was going down the route of new levers and machined covers for the master cylinders to tidy up the bars, but set that against the cost of this setup and it does not look too bad, not to mention the gain in feel and performance.

Wish you hadn't mentioned the Hc3, they look awesome, hope sense will prevail!

#8 ·
I just installed Magura HC1 clutch and front brake master cylinders, new Goodridge SS cables, and RIZOMA Next fluid reservoirs; however, my RIZOMA dealer sold me the wrong reservoir for the clutch (CT125 instead of CTM125 - "M" for mineral oil), so I'm now waiting for the correct reservoir to arrive from Italy.

Magura's quality is second to none and install really cleaned up the handlebars. I'll post pictures once the correct clutch reservoir is received/installed.

#5 ·
Hi RobertVp,

I'm very interested in Magura's HC1. Are they a quality bit of kit?

Do you know of anyone who has purchased and/or installed both Magura clutch and front brake master cylinders, and what their experience has been?

HC3's are beautiful, indeed, but seem to be intended more for pro racing than for casual street riders. Any thoughts?

I began this quest by looking at Brembo, but have heard that their clutch MC does not work because of the mineral oil issue. To make matters much worse, it has been virtually impossible to obtain compatible parts information or any product guidance from Brembo Italy.

For reasons unknown to me, no one there will respond to e-mail or telephonic inquiries despite numerous e-mails to more than five individuals. Their customer service is virtually nonexistent, which I find very, very strange. Perhaps, I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, I'm about to pull the trigger on some HC1's and would really appreciate anything you or anyone else can tell me about them, good or bad.

Thanks,
Cas

#6 ·
Pull the trigger on the HC1's, then you can tell us about them :D

I'm also eyeing the Maguras, and from past experience, Magura is quality stuff, even more so than the run-of-mill Brembo stuff available to the general public

Reactions: Cvet27
#10 ·
Hi everybody,
just for letting you know: Magura is a very traditional company sited in the South of Germany who are making the handbrake and clutch control assemblies and grips for BMW from the beginning – say since 1923. So do they for the modern bikes.

Regards,
Holger

#12 ·
Aubrey,

No, I did not do the installation myself. I suppose that I could have, using the Magura videos as a guide, but I decided to leave it to those with a bit more experience than I.

In hindsight, I suppose that I could have done it myself, but I was told to remove the brake and clutch lines and bring them with me to X-Bike in Budapest (no Magura dealers in Serbia), so that they could make new, longer Goodridge lines to fit the HC1's and that seemed like a huge hassle, e.g., lifting the fuel tank, et cetera. I also have about zero experience bleeding brake and clutch lines, so I chickened out.

I chose the HC1's, as I was advised by Magura that the HC3's are designed/intended for the race track, and HC1's are for the street. The HC1's are also black, which IMHO is a better match for the NineT, not to mention that they were much less expensive. Regardless, I still shelled out more than 1,000 Euro for the master cylinders, new Goodridge stainless steel brake and clutch lines, and Rizoma Next fluid reservoirs.

The new HC1 brake master cylinder is fitted with an 18mm piston; the clutch master cylinder is equipped with a 13mm piston and is designed to work with mineral oil.

Although they don't advertise it on their website, Rizoma makes a Next fluid reservoir for the clutch that is designed for mineral oil - HCM125. It is available in several colors, but I chose black to best match the HC1's.

I'll post some photos once I have installed the Rizoma Next fluid reservoir for the clutch (my Rizoma dealer sold me the wrong part - HC125 - which is not designed to work with mineral oil).

#13 ·
@Cas

Thanks for the info. Totally agree the the HC1s look better on the bike, also look a bit smaller than the HC3s which I like.

I don't think it's chickening out not doing it yourself. The vids make the install look straight forwards but replacing the lines, which they don't show, looks like a job and a half! Wouldn't be keen on that part either.

Looking forwards to hearing how you get on with them and seeing the pics

#15 ·
I'm a bit "photo" challenged at the moment, trying to learn how to attach photographs (not thumbnails) cto my post. However, here's the latest:

Last Thursday, I finally received the replacement HCM125 Rizoma Next fluid reservoir for mineral oil from the RIZOMA dealer in Belgrade.

Yesterday, I had the new reservoir installed, replacing the stock Magura fluid reservoir that came with the HC1's.

I also had the positions of the levers fine-tuned to improve the "fit" in my hands.

I hope to go for a long ride on Monday just to see how everything feels. Already, I can say that the HC1's feel sturdier, and seem to respond quicker when I apply them, but more on that later.

I'm going to try to take some photos today and then make an attempt to post them, so stay tuned...

#18 ·
When I try to view the photos I'm asked to login. After logging in no luck.

My master cylinders finally arrived last week. It'll be a couple weeks before they will be installed.

I hope you enjoy the upgrade!

RobertVP

#21 ·
@Cas Yep those work, though using the Forum Code (copy/paste) may work better as you'll see the images on your post. As a test I'll try to put one in this post.

Yep this seems to work. I'll delete this post if you'd rather I didn't link to your photo, no offence will be taken. :)

#22 ·
I installed Magura 195 Master Cylinders recently. 13mm mineral oil on the clutch side and 16mm on the brake. There was a bit of drama with wrong parts that you can read about in my fairing post here along with photos of the install.

http://www.ninetowners.com/#/forumsite/20682/topics/104042?page=4

Bottom line is the Magura parts are awesome and there was a huge improvement in braking control. The stock brakes were grabby for me. Plenty of power but I would often find myself surprised by how hard the brakes were engaged. That phenomenon is gone. The power is still there if not improved somehow; although I cannot figure out how that could be, but the biggest improvement for me is in the precise control I have in feathering the brakes and applying them smoothly without being surprised by a powerful jolt going into a turn or changing into a lane.

#23 ·
Hallo Cas

I read carefully your article about how you have done the conversion.
Finaly I also bought now the HC1 pumps. Could you please tell me how much longer needs to be the new clutchline and how much longer the new brakeline than the original was?
Thank you for your help.
KR
Chris

#25 ·
Dave,
Is there any way you could repost the Magura HC1 installed photos, please? When I tried to open them, I get a "removed due to inactivity" error message. I am thinking about going this way, with Rizoma reservoirs and would really like to see how they look. I think certain chunks of plastic just seem out of place on our bike.
Thanks,
Ed

#26 ·
If this is directed to me, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do as they are pointing to a member's private photo account on a hosting site on the web. Only the member @Cas would be able to log onto that site and reactivate the photo.

#29 ·
Howdy all. Was wondering if the Magura master cylinder makes the clutch pull lighter /easier to engage. I'm dealing with a torn tendon in my clutch arm and am needing a lighter/ softer set up. Also someone had mentioned that just ordering the Magura 13 mm hc1 mineral oil setup wasn't enough and that the seals have to be specified as well? Don't see a seals option on Maguras website. Lastly rear view mirrors need to be mounted elsewhere now, or the Magura set up has a mount for them? Much appreciated. -Alex

#34 ·
If you decide to upgrade to Magura’s HC1 master cylinders, you must replace your clutch and front brake cables as you will need at least an additional 5 cm in length. When I purchased my new master cylinders, I removed the brake and clutch cables and took them to the dealer who made new, longer cables for me. Yes, it’s a hassle, but well worth it in the end. You won’t be disappointed with Magura. Quality kit manufactured in Germany. PM me with your email address and I’ll send you a few pictures of my bike to show you how it looks with Rizoma reservoirs.

#36 ·
Hallo,
I have now upgraded to the Magrua H1 clutch / break master cylinders on my Urban.

I got the kit with break/clutch line adapters from Moto-Madness`s Magura HC1 Brake & Clutch Conversion Kit.
I did not need to install new lines, I only needed to reposition the clutch line little, see the pics.
I also did not need to back bleed, took some time to get out the air bubbles, but it helped to have the engine on a little, the vibrations helped. Felt easier then black bleed them:)

Here is some pics, I am very happy. But I can´t have the OEM mirros on without seperate mount them next to the master cylinders and guess it will remove the clean look. Will see how I do, I like the OEM mirrors...

Edit: Seems I cant attache images, I will try to create a gallery on my page