BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents,

Hope you are doing well.

I had my 12k mile service done this time last year to my 2015 9T classic, and I had only done 1000 miles since, so the clock is showing 13k miles as of now.

I pinged a message to an independent mechanic in London, and he's asking for £550 for the annual service, which seems very excessive to me. How much would be a reasonable price for service at this stage?

As per the maintenance schedule, at 18k miles, you are supposed to change engine oil with filter, check valve clearance, change oil for the telescopic fork and adjusting engine synchronisation, but I am only at 13k, so shall I bother about changing oil for the fork?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
221 Posts
£550 is a lot of cash. Admittedly changing the fork oil is a fair amount of labour, but I would check out other motorcycle shops or see if you anyone you know will do just an engine oil change and filter.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I always think.. there's two types of "Service" you can get done.

1: Service on wear parts .. they wear with the more you ride. So tires/brakes/valve clearance/throttle body sync etc.

2: Service on time-set things .. they wear down after time; even if you do not ride. So Oil/Fluids (oil attracts water if it gets older.. so always replace oils every year).. at brake fluid this is 2 years)

Look at how many km's you did; and if you rode very few km's the "1" is out of the question, only go for "2". So oil/fluids; that's it.

There's people that ride 1-2000km's a year.. in that case i would only get oils done every year; and other fluids every 2 years (brake/clutch).

Dont be a thief of your own wallet.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
I agree with what most members are saying above -- change the oil and filter, and that's it for now. Do everything else as you approach or cross the next service interval.

Even for those who aren't mechanically inclined, the oil and filter change isn't really hard. Do you have any riding buddies who work on their own bikes who could show you the ropes on this? Even if you don't, there is a good maintenance guide here on the forum. :)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
The only annoyance most people cant fix themselves is getting rid of the "Service wrench" on the dashboard.

I do agree that changing oil on your own is best.. but my dealer (official bmw garage) only charges like 100 euro's-ish for the job..
Counting in the oil (already like 65 euro's.. + a filter) that's allot of hassle for a small 'win'..

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
221 Posts
The only annoyance most people cant fix themselves is getting rid of the "Service wrench" on the dashboard.

I do agree that changing oil on your own is best.. but my dealer (official bmw garage) only charges like 100 euro's-ish for the job..
Counting in the oil (already like 65 euro's.. + a filter) that's allot of hassle for a small 'win'..
Four litres of Castrol 20w50 £29, a genuine Mahle filter at £13 its still only £42 and you dont have the inconvenience of booking it in at a dealer along with however much time wasted getting there and back. However I can understand maintaining a good relationship with the dealer, plus warranty issues potentially. In my case its a good two hours either way and I really dislike the dealer so I will be doing all my own servicing.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
133 Posts
I would just ride it. Charging fluids annually does not really make sense to me unless you store your bike outside in a high humidity area. Oils are now synthetics, and I fail to see water diluting your crankcase and causing a problem. It’s a BMW, ride it for another year before servicing. (Also, ask yourself, “ how long will you keep it, and how many miles will you put on it”.).

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dropped my bike to the Dealers for the 10K km service, items that will be done:
  • motor, oil and filter change
  • gearbox oil change
  • brake fluid change
  • TB sync (this is an Euro4 bike)
  • steering stem torque
  • motor, valve clearance check
  • air filter check and replace if necessary
Extra
- replace battery (lithium item supplied by me)
the original battery struggles to turn over the motor.
- replace under-tank fuel connection nipples
E10 is becoming a fact of life with gasoline supply at the pumps and ethanol is not plastic-friendly.
BMW should have used brass nipples instead of plastic ones!

Now I wait for the bill!

·
Registered
2019 Scrambler Option 719, 2013 K1600GTL,
169 Posts
It's a bit of a myth that oil sumps attract water. Engines are for all practical purposes, sealed. The annual oil change is not necessary even in a very humid environment. I know for a fact, very large generator engines used on sea going vessels don't get oil changes at all unless the oil is contaminated. I know of engines nearly 50 years old running on their original oil. Doesn't get much more humid than that either. If you only ride your bike periodically, then changing your oil every 6k miles or two years, whichever comes first, will save you a good chunk of change, especially as the cost of fluids is ramping up so much. Of course, if you change your oil for any reason, restart your 6k mile counter. Since these bikes don't even have a dipstick, there's almost no way at all any contaminants will get inside. Starting the engine periodically, however is a great idea in order to circulate the oil and keep the combustion chamber clean.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Oil and oil changes are topics that encourage spirited discussion (to say the least!).

As one with extensive experience with large reciprocating engine generators and industrial gas turbines, I do know that periodic sump oil analysis dictated the oil change schedules of these machines.
(Am not saying that the other viewpoints are incorrect, am merely stating my experience with the topic)

Also, having empirical evidence to validate the reason(s) to delay oil changes beyond the manufacturer's recommendations will be helpful.

Just sayin'.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts