BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
R Nine T, 2019, Black Storm Metallic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd create a thread for this type of exhaust as there always seems to be quite a lot of curiosity about it but I certainly found it hard to get a lot of information on it before I bought one.

This is the link to where it is sold:

Impianto completo 2in1 Multiwelded Come Back – BMW R NINE T - Exhaust systems

And here is a video of it sounding (IMO) rather different to most other aftermarket R9T exhausts.

I know of two forum members who have one:

Toni and TX

There are certainly a few people around the world rocking this exhaust. This guy dashortdog regularly posts on instagram his rather tasty bike fitted with the exhaust.

The exhaust has also been discussed in some of the posts from this thread:

Massmoto pipes came in!

But there is no distinction between this exhaust and the more common 'hot rod' MASS pipes, hence why I have created this dedicated thread.

Shortly I will post about my experience of buying and fitting this rather unique full system. Any questions you've got please do shoot and I will do my best to fill in where I can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I have just received and fitted the multiwelded de-cat version of this full system. It was 5 weeks from order to receipt. The exhaust ranges from 1030 euros to 1390 euros depending on how you spec it. For me the satin finish, without the cat came to 1270eur.

The reason I chose this exhaust is because I like something quirky and I didn't much fancy the sound of some of the more obvious choices from Akra, Unit, SC project. To me (and I'm afraid I can only go off YouTube videos) they sound quite tinny and almost motocross-like. I don't spend much time above 5000 rpm and I wanted to try and find a more bassy system. The video in the above post gave me the impression that this exhaust would be the one.

Communication with MASS was very good and easy. It's a personal and friendly service. The exhaust arrived very well packaged as you can see below:

20200921_165752.jpg
20200922_092628.jpg

I would say that the quality of finish is good. The satin finish has a lot of the typical marks that come from the fabrication process. Not much effort had been made to remove them (radius scribe lines, general hairline scratches). I had hoped the finish would be a bit better but after looking at a few other posts on here it seems that a lot aftermarket headers (even the fabled Akra) can come in the same state. The welding looks excellent to me and I was assured that the system will be durable enough for daily use, without issue. See pictures below. The exhaust came with a db killer, statement of homologation conformity, instructions for mounting, exhaust springs and all the necessary mounting hardware.

The system is made of stainless steel and the individual pieces are fusion welded together. There is precious little in the way of baffling. The smooth section before the exit is of a slightly larger diameter than the rest of the system so I would imagine it's a perforated tube design but I cannot see inside to see what baffling exists outside the perforated tube. It fits on to the bike with a supplied bracket on to the rear of the engine and with a bolt into the RH side of the lower block.

Next post will be the install.

·
Registered
2014 BMW R Nine T classic
64 Posts
Thought I'd create a thread for this type of exhaust as there always seems to be quite a lot of curiosity about it but I certainly found it hard to get a lot of information on it before I bought one.

This is the link to where it is sold:

Impianto completo 2in1 Multiwelded Come Back – BMW R NINE T - Exhaust systems

And here is a video of it sounding (IMO) rather different to most other aftermarket R9T exhausts.

I know of two forum members who have one:

Toni and TX

There are certainly a few people around the world rocking this exhaust. This guy dashortdog regularly posts on instagram his rather tasty bike fitted with the exhaust.

The exhaust has also been discussed in some of the posts from this thread:

Massmoto pipes came in!

But there is no distinction between this exhaust and the more common 'hot rod' MASS pipes, hence why I have created this dedicated thread.

Shortly I will post about my experience of buying and fitting this rather unique full system. Any questions you've got please do shoot and I will do my best to fill in where I can.
Thanks for starting this thread. This exhaust has been on my short list, and I'm excited to see the progression.

·
Registered
Black 9T classic, Tracer 700, Xs650, montesa 315r, classic mini
43 Posts
Thumbs down from me I'm afraid. Too loud and looks a bit home made, just my opinion obvs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got round to fitting this exhaust towards the end of last week. Firstly, removal of the oem setup is very easy. Little mechanic skills required. The muffler unbolts and can be slid out from the flapper valve assembly easily. I wanted to take a look at the flapper valve before committing to a servo buddy. Sure enough, it's actually quite easy to essentially delete the flapper valve for free. Remove the two bolts holding the black plastic housing to the valve assembly to reveal the bicycle cables that move the valve. Unhook the ends of these cables and then the assembly is completely free to put aside. Then I covered the ends of the cables and the cable sheathing in some electrical tape before dousing them in ACF 50. This is because you can easily cable tie these cables up to the inner side of the charcoal cannister so that they are out of sight but I wanted them to be protected as they are now a little exposed to the muck flinging off the rear tyre. If you switch on the ignition the bike will cycle the flapper valve motion and you can have a look to check that those cable ends move freely and undistrubed. Hey presto, the bike has no idea you've gotten rid of the valve. See pics below.
20200922_194619.jpg

With that sorted I unbolted the headers and lambda probes. The clamps to the cylinder heads are not done up very tightly. But as I found out there's no gasket between the headers and the heads it's just metal face to metal face. So it's not surprising that the header clamps don't need to be that tight. As I don't have a calibrated arm, I can't really estimate any torques for you. There is one clamp on the rear of the engine that the headers are rubber mounted to. To remove simply undo the two m6 bolts that for some germanic reason are about 2 inches long.

Fitting the new exhaust meant fitting a MASS supplied bracket in place of the above mentioned. This is so the MASS exhaust's rear hook (see below -top left) can be bolted in place. Personally, I would have preferred a rubber mount as BMW went with. There's nothing you can do about an exhaust moving about as it heat cycles so it's always best to have some flex somewhere, for longevity. But hey ho, we'll see how this system holds up.

Assembling the actual thing in place is pretty straight forward now. The black plastic covers underneath the heads need to be removed so that the cable ties holding the lambda wiring can be undone, they don't quite reach the new postiions otherwise. I smeared some exhaust sealant on the mating faces of the heads and inside the y-pipe holes of the main underside piece. Instructions suggest loosely bolting the two header outlet pipes in place first before offering up the main underside piece. For me however, one of the header pieces was quite tight in the y-pipe and the only way for me to guarantee it was all the way in was to assemble it on the bench first. I offered it up and with a bit of huffing I got both header pipes locked in the heads and the front-right securing bolt into the side of the engine (3rd pic below). Bit of jiggling and firm persuasion and got the rear exhaust hook bolted in place too. Considering I managed this in an evening after work with the bike on nothing but its sidestand, I'd say this was a pretty straight forward install. However it is the first exhaust I've ever fitted so who knows. Please see pics below:

Next post will be the road test!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know when you have a video that captures the sound.
I do have one but the sound quality is poor. I will hopefully get the bike out tomorrow and try get a better recording but the weather over here isn't great at the moment!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I can see the appeal for track use, and remapping the ECU for more power, but that exhaust would be a thumbs down from me as well. I ride on the street, in populated areas, and the last thing I want is more reasons for car drivers to hate us. I've worked in the motorcycle industry for the last 18 years, and so far the only thing loud pipes has accomplished is closing down public roads and riding areas to motorcyclists. In Quebec City, the entire old city is forbidden to motorcycles after a couple of local Harley groups started hanging around the cafe revving their engines and grunting. Rumor has it that a few National Parks are now studying this as well, and instead of saying that vehicles must conform to a certain legal sound level, they are just going to ban motorcyclists as they are by far the number one offender.

Loud pipes risk rights. I find my OEM pipe in my Urban a touch loud. YMMV . To each his own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see the appeal for track use, and remapping the ECU for more power, but that exhaust would be a thumbs down from me as well. I ride on the street, in populated areas, and the last thing I want is more reasons for car drivers to hate us. I've worked in the motorcycle industry for the last 18 years, and so far the only thing loud pipes has accomplished is closing down public roads and riding areas to motorcyclists. In Quebec City, the entire old city is forbidden to motorcycles after a couple of local Harley groups started hanging around the cafe revving their engines and grunting. Rumor has it that a few National Parks are now studying this as well, and instead of saying that vehicles must conform to a certain legal sound level, they are just going to ban motorcyclists as they are by far the number one offender.

Loud pipes risk rights. I find my OEM pipe in my Urban a touch loud. YMMV . To each his own.
I fully understand your point of view but to a certain extent the problem isn't the exhaust, it's the nut sitting on top. I run this thing with the db killer in all the time, don't spend 2 minutes warming the thing up at 7 AM, pretty much idle my way out of my residential area and hardly ever take it above 5k because, well, that's just my style of riding. Contrast that with the guy that, without fail, at 21:45 every evening brings his open-pipe 125 to a stop at the roundabout on my street before slamming it through 1st, into the limiter and then into second in a 30 zone. And the young guy in his financed Merc E63 doing pretty much the same thing whenever I see him. Makes me really angry the way some people ride/drive in a residential area and I'd much rather someone fix that before they decide which exhuast I can and cannot have!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyway, for those more interested in the exhaust. I've probably done a good 100 miles on it now and am really really happy with it. The sound is exactly what I was hoping for. There's a lot more bass to it and it sounds gurgly and purposeful at idle. Above 5k it's a real nascar wail and overall the sound is just transformed from stock.

Firstly, no the exhaust doesn't burn your right foot. But yes, it does seem very loud because there's now a much more direct path from the exhuast tip to your helmet something that becomes obvious when you open your visor and the sound really levels up more than it would normally.

I did a few test rides and decided that the db killer was to become a permanent fitment. It doesn't really dampen the sound at idle but takes the edge off at speed so that ear plugs aren't necessary. Thankfully the db killer supplied by mass fits snuggly and seems well made.

It also became obvious that the bike was running lean. It smelt lean, the torque flat spots very accentuated and the engine ran a good 8 degrees colder on average. The bike ran perfectly fine, no stuttering or rough idle but it was clear that things could be much improved. I went out and purchased a Rapid Bike Easy unit. Essentially a piggy back device that offsets the lambda values the ECU sees. There's a lot of discussion on here about such devices and how to install them so I won't cover that here. All I will say is that it's cheap, easy to install and definitely makes a difference. The bike now runs very well, the torque flat spots are pretty much gone, the bike runs at the temperatures I would expect and I rarely hear an overun pop or bang. However, I must add that the bike could clearly do with richening up at full load above 5k rpm. I believe the bike runs open loop lambda at this condition which may explain why the Rapid Bike unit doesn't help but I could be wrong. Either way, if you're chasing peak hp, get a full tune or better still an exhaust that has been tuned for more race-oriented performance. This exhaust is about lovely chugging torque which suits me down to the ground.

As mentioned I will try and get a good recording put up on here for you guys to listen to but the first one I took wasn't great at all so I need to have another go.

Overall I am loving the sound of this bike more an more with every ride. When you give it the beans it's like you're in the bullitt mustang car chase or something! It's too loud for me without the db killer but spot on with. If you want to ride big miles with it and are worried about the volume then maybe option it with a cat from MASS. I'm sure that would tone it right down. But for me the sound is perfect and really compliments the character and image of the bike. Everyone who's seen it has been super complimentary and instantly wants to have a chat and learn more. An expensive exhaust for sure but then a full system always is. If you guys have any questions about it then shoot and I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry the sound quality is patchy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes this the decat version with the dB killer installed. The dB killer doesn't really affect the sound below 2000 rpm. It mainly reduces the general volume once you're cruising.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great! I just received the exhaust (with cat) and tomorrow I will install it!

Thank you and have a Happy riding year!
Great to hear. Take some pictures when it's all set up!

·
Registered
R NineT roadster 2019
39 Posts
So I just installed the exhaust at an authorized dealer! They were shocked on the looks and sound. The BMW Technical manager at first said are you sure you are going to install this???? its wanna wake up the dead!

Thankfully after the installation he commented that it is way less noisy than he expected!!

Love the exhaust, different bike. will post photos tomorrow.

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the great write up, pics, and vids. I have been on a qwest trying to find the ”right” exhaust for my bike and this is on the short list. Thanks for all the info...deciding is harder than I would have expected!!!

·
Registered
R9T Scram X '17 and Kawasaki Z650 '79
6 Posts
Hi all

Just registered so a newbie.

Bikes owned, '79 Kawasaki Z650 now in its 2nd strip and mod to scrambler and a 20127 R9t Scram X

Got a 2017 Scram with a load of mods and just bought the Massa 2-into-1 come back. Taken off my original exhaust which had the flap removal done, and am struggling a little with the install of the Massa.

A bit gutted as had to remove the Unit sub protector plate, the front dirt catcher and the SW Motech head bars which were all extras so a tad miffed but hey ho.

Has anyone got an install manual at all or some step by step pics? Looks like bugger all lines up and its going to be a pain where the 2 go into1 as its hitting the bottom end

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts