BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Anyway, for those more interested in the exhaust. I've probably done a good 100 miles on it now and am really really happy with it. The sound is exactly what I was hoping for. There's a lot more bass to it and it sounds gurgly and purposeful at idle. Above 5k it's a real nascar wail and overall the sound is just transformed from stock.

Firstly, no the exhaust doesn't burn your right foot. But yes, it does seem very loud because there's now a much more direct path from the exhuast tip to your helmet something that becomes obvious when you open your visor and the sound really levels up more than it would normally.

I did a few test rides and decided that the db killer was to become a permanent fitment. It doesn't really dampen the sound at idle but takes the edge off at speed so that ear plugs aren't necessary. Thankfully the db killer supplied by mass fits snuggly and seems well made.

It also became obvious that the bike was running lean. It smelt lean, the torque flat spots very accentuated and the engine ran a good 8 degrees colder on average. The bike ran perfectly fine, no stuttering or rough idle but it was clear that things could be much improved. I went out and purchased a Rapid Bike Easy unit. Essentially a piggy back device that offsets the lambda values the ECU sees. There's a lot of discussion on here about such devices and how to install them so I won't cover that here. All I will say is that it's cheap, easy to install and definitely makes a difference. The bike now runs very well, the torque flat spots are pretty much gone, the bike runs at the temperatures I would expect and I rarely hear an overun pop or bang. However, I must add that the bike could clearly do with richening up at full load above 5k rpm. I believe the bike runs open loop lambda at this condition which may explain why the Rapid Bike unit doesn't help but I could be wrong. Either way, if you're chasing peak hp, get a full tune or better still an exhaust that has been tuned for more race-oriented performance. This exhaust is about lovely chugging torque which suits me down to the ground.

As mentioned I will try and get a good recording put up on here for you guys to listen to but the first one I took wasn't great at all so I need to have another go.

Overall I am loving the sound of this bike more an more with every ride. When you give it the beans it's like you're in the bullitt mustang car chase or something! It's too loud for me without the db killer but spot on with. If you want to ride big miles with it and are worried about the volume then maybe option it with a cat from MASS. I'm sure that would tone it right down. But for me the sound is perfect and really compliments the character and image of the bike. Everyone who's seen it has been super complimentary and instantly wants to have a chat and learn more. An expensive exhaust for sure but then a full system always is. If you guys have any questions about it then shoot and I'll do my best to answer.
Hi 5MOSO,
You say the bike ran a good 8 degrees COLDER because it was too lean.
If it really was running lean it would run hotter, not cooler.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
So glad I’m on this forum, this is the kind of think I’m here for. Love the concept of this exhaust - facing forward like the Termis for a Panigale 1199. Also, loud pipes save lives.

Of course, this kind of exhaust would have no appeal on the track, probably wouldn’t even be allowed. Don’t know what that guy was talking about...

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
392 Posts
One question to those who have installed the Massa reverse exhaust, what about the smoke, particularly sitting at traffic lights, doesn't it climb up straight to your face? What about clothes, at the end of a ride, do you end up smelling of exhaust?

·
Registered
R Nine T, 2019, Black Storm Metallic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One question to those who have installed the Massa reverse exhaust, what about the smoke, particularly sitting at traffic lights, doesn't it climb up straight to your face? What about clothes, at the end of a ride, do you end up smelling of exhaust?
For me, I haven't noticed this at all. The only notable thing is that the sound is more obvious being infront of you as supposed to behind you!

·
Registered
R Nine T, 2019, Black Storm Metallic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi all

Just registered so a newbie.

Bikes owned, '79 Kawasaki Z650 now in its 2nd strip and mod to scrambler and a 20127 R9t Scram X

Got a 2017 Scram with a load of mods and just bought the Massa 2-into-1 come back. Taken off my original exhaust which had the flap removal done, and am struggling a little with the install of the Massa.

A bit gutted as had to remove the Unit sub protector plate, the front dirt catcher and the SW Motech head bars which were all extras so a tad miffed but hey ho.

Has anyone got an install manual at all or some step by step pics? Looks like bugger all lines up and its going to be a pain where the 2 go into1 as its hitting the bottom end

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Hiya, how did you get on in the end? From memory, I assembled the 3 pieces together, offered it up to the bike so that the header flanges were reasonably close, loosely put the bolt through the rear bracket and then tightened down the header flanges. Before I offered up the exhaust I tried to push the header pieces as far in to the y pipe as possible.

·
Registered
R9T Scram X '17 and Kawasaki Z650 '79
7 Posts
Hiya, how did you get on in the end? From memory, I assembled the 3 pieces together, offered it up to the bike so that the header flanges were reasonably close, loosely put the bolt through the rear bracket and then tightened down the header flanges. Before I offered up the exhaust I tried to push the header pieces as far in to the y pipe as possible.
Not been back in the garage as yet due to new work contract and crazy busy but I did have another quick look the other day, i am going to have to drill out the tab for the rear bracket as it needs widening to fit but i think relooking briefly i shan't have an issue but if I do, "I'll be back"

21 - 26 of 26 Posts