BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2017 R Ninet Pure from a private seller. The spare key he got from the dealer (when he bought the bike new) is the WRONG key.
So I have only 1 functioning key for the bike.
Can I easily get a spare key made?

Would this be done at any dealer?

What鈥檚 the best way to proceed?

Besides not losing my only key 馃檪

鈥擜pologies if this info is somewhere. I searched and didn鈥檛 see anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I don鈥檛 think so. This was the sellers only bike.
Seller said he was going to check with the dealer in case they have the correct key but I鈥檓 thinking the dealer mixed up the keys and probably gave 2 new bike owners wrong keys.

Seller is also going to ask the dealer if they can cut me a new key off my 1 key.
I鈥檓 waiting to hear the outcome.

Bit of a bummer to deal with. But I want a spare

Registered
As I understand it only a BMW dealer can safely cut a key. Something to do with the immobilizer needing to recognise 'authorised' chips in the key itself.

Although blank keys are available on the internet I would play safe and visit my local dealer.

Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
In the UK at least, some motor insurance policies cover you for lost keys without affecting any no claims bonus you might have. Might be worth while looking at your policy. Also sometimes Home insurance can cover for lost keys too, but this is more of a long shot...

Registered
I checked with my dealer last year about obtaining a third key.
Was told they need to confirm I own the bike, and they need the VIN number.
They could order the key for me and mail it to me.
Cost would be about $85.

Registered
If the dealer was the one who mixed up the keys in the first place, they should correct it for you at no cost, IMO.

Although I don't think the dealers cut and program keys on site; they need to be ordered from the mothership.

Not that it should make any difference to you. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I checked with my dealer last year about obtaining a third key.
Was told they need to confirm I own the bike, and they need the VIN number.
They could order the key for me and mail it to me.
Cost would be about $85.
This is good to know if it falls upon me. I'll keep you posted what I find out from the seller once he asks his dealer. I'm hoping they fix their mistake.

Looks like I might be adding $85 to my mod price list. The can I have a spare key mod haha.

Registered
I would either contact the previous owner to find out what dealer the bike was sold at. If not possible, I believe contacting BMW customer service, they should be able to tell you where the bike came from.
I can't believe too many of the Pure variants could have been sold, as compared to other variants affront the dealer.
Possibly the dealer could send an email to Pure owners to check both of their keys. If a mismatch is discovered, maybe that's your key and hopefully your mismatched key is his.

Registered
I would either contact the previous owner to find out what dealer the bike was sold at. If not possible, I believe contacting BMW customer service, they should be able to tell you where the bike came from.
I can't believe too many of the Pure variants could have been sold, as compared to other variants affront the dealer.
Possibly the dealer could send an email to Pure owners to check both of their keys. If a mismatch is discovered, maybe that's your key and hopefully your mismatched key is his.
I don't think any dealer will go through that much trouble. It's probably cheaper to give you a new key.

If you were the original owner and you just purchased the bike, maybe they would help out. But not after all this time go by and it's the second buyer asking.

Registered
This post starting me thinking about the spare key.
Do most folks carry their spare key with them?
Do you place it somewhere on the bike, in a semi secret spot and not on your person?
I admittedly haven't given it much thought and just keep my spare key with my original paperwork.
What do you guys do?
I ride with the primary key and the key looking wrench for the rear seat.

Premium Member
Car key express got me a chipped Subaru key for about 1/4 the cost if I had gone through the dealer and did it in about an hour. This was in Maryland. They drive around in truck stopping off at dealers so I had to go meet them. Was totally worth it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts