BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
update: the previous owner returned the incorrect key to the dealer and asked about getting the correct spare key replacement. The dealer told him since he sold the bike they could not order the key. Dealer said I as the new owner will have to bring the title in to prove ownership and order the correct spare key.

Meanwhile the previous owner mailed in the lien payment and is waiting for the title to give me. So I'm still waiting to receive the title so I can transfer/register etc and then so I can handle this spare key issue.

And FYI, I want the spare key to keep safe in my paperwork file. To use in case I lose the daily rider key. I never ride with a spare key.

I will update what happens once I receive the title. For now I stand by patiently waiting.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I checked with my dealer last year about obtaining a third key.
Was told they need to confirm I own the bike, and they need the VIN number.
They could order the key for me and mail it to me.
Cost would be about $85.

Exactly the same experience here. It took about 3 or 4 weeks. If I recall, they order a new key from the factory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Low and behold the previous owner found the original spare key and kindly delivered it to me.

I think the dealer mistakenly gave him that 3rd unknown mismatched key as well which he returned to the dealer. Perhaps somebody else was missing their key?

But all is good for me now. And good to know if you have the title and take your bike to the dealer you can order a spare key from BMW Germany.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Brilliant result for you there! Restores your faith in human nature I bet! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello guys.

I bought r nine t - 2014 on copart.

Problem is that moto - dont have keys :( :(

Plz any sugestions what to do ?

Thanks in advance.

Motorcycle is in usa-

And i live in georgia europe.

In 2 months it will be ik georgia

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,397 Posts
Hello guys.
I bought r nine t - 2014 on copart.
Problem is that moto - dont have keys :( :(
Plz any sugestions what to do ?
Hi @Groove and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post into this thread that already discusses replacement keys. Please have a read back through the above posts for some ideas.
You will have to take the bike to a BMW Motorrad dealer to order the keys and have them coded to your nineT.

Also, as a new member it would be great if you could start a new thread in the New Member Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself and where you come from. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi @Groove and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post into this thread that already discusses replacement keys. Please have a read back through the above posts for some ideas.
You will have to take the bike to a BMW Motorrad dealer to order the keys and have them coded to your nineT.

Also, as a new member it would be great if you could start a new thread in the New Member Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself and where you come from. ;)

Cheers

Thaanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
can any1 tell me when i can buy key - ? couldnot found on ebay or on amazon.

i need spare key - and will program it in georgia

·
Registered
13 Posts
Guys.

WB10A1608EZ397225 - this is vin.

2014 z it have chiped key ? Or just ordinari key ?

Can someone tell.me ?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
I might be wrong but I believe all R nineT keys have an inbuilt chip for the immobiliser.

·
Registered
628 Posts
All these threads are correct. Dealers of BMW only, they contact Germany for electronic code. Bring your VIN number and your title to prove ownership. It’s around 50 - 90 bucks depending what Dealership in what state. It will be shipped to you or Dealership and can take as much as a month. Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
is there any web site = that with vin code i can check techs of my motorcycle >?

like - abs - heated grips - key is chiped or not ?

thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would never under no conditions take my second/spare key for the ride. In case I get so stupid or drunk I could loose it, I have a metal clipper inside my Ronin leather jacket left side pocket. I just hook it up in there and it's safe. In the worst case scenario I have my spare tucked away safely at home. My wife could send it to me. But honestly I don't think I could ever lose the main tool to start one of my most precious possessions. Simple but I love the way it looks and works and more importantly which machine it's for.

Cheers Riders 😀🤔☻

·
Registered
628 Posts
is there any web site = that with vin code i can check techs of my motorcycle >?

like - abs - heated grips - key is chiped or not ?

thanks.
Groove ...The key is defiantly chipped. Don’t mutilate it or alter it. The lock identify’s the key. Even if you physically picked the mechanical tumbler the bike wouldn’t start with out the proper key. BMW recommends that you don’t put both keys on the same ring because it could confuse the reader. I know of no website with such info as original equipment from a vin number. Perhaps if you wrote a note to BMW international you could figure it out .......
Good luck with you’re quest ... cheers

21 - 36 of 36 Posts