BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing a cap here, or is this ment to be open? I hadn't really noticed it, but someone was admiring the bike and pointed it out to me.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
969 Posts
It is supposed to be open. Some companies make caps to cover places like that, and they range from cheap to really expensive. But you don't really need them unless you want to dress up the bike a little in those spots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TimC!

Its funny, the Torx bolts on there (you can't see it in the picture), have orange dots on it. I guess for (long void) warranty purposes. Those dots made me think there should be a cap on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Darn you! I have never noticed it until you pointed it out (mine is same way). Now I can't unsee it :oops:

·
Registered
2019 BMW RnineT
24 Posts
It is supposed to be open. Some companies make caps to cover places like that, and they range from cheap to really expensive. But you don't really need them unless you want to dress up the bike a little in those spots.
Hi Tim, do you know what this cap is called?

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
215 Posts
Hi Tim, do you know what this cap is called?
It is called a "swingarm pivot cover", or such like. Example of one option is linked below from Roland Sands Design, who incidentally provide similar covers for the handlebars, final drive pivot and rear axle if you'd like the matching set as it were. Some members have taken to fabricating their own versions.

BMW Billet Swingarm Pivot Cover Set Machined Roland Sands Design R1200GS/GSA K25 / R1200R / R NineT Pure/Scrambler/Racer/UrbanGS

For what its worth, I quite like them and the price has come down significantly since they were first introduced so its now a lot more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks TimC!

Its funny, the Torx bolts on there (you can't see it in the picture), have orange dots on it. I guess for (long void) warranty purposes. Those dots made me think there should be a cap on it.
Dots are usually placed during manufacturing for quality control or after torquing as visual check of bolt movement.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not neccessarily for the warranty, but for you to also check and make sure they don't need to be torqued down. Shit comes loose on a big vibraty machine.

They didn't cover it because it DOES cost something, even a 5 cents plastic cover, multiplied over 10,000 units adds up, plus then they need to keep extras in inventory and ship them out when people lose theirs within the first 4 miles, etc.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
522 Posts
Not neccessarily for the warranty
Those bolts at one point were the subject of a recall because they weren't properly torqued and loctited during manufacture. I'd imagine a spot of orange paint pen helped them avoid that in the aftermath.

Why BMW did not cover this with a simple plastic cap is beyond me..
Cost: nothing
Nothing is free. Creating a mold and manufacturing it certainly isn't. I don't have a problem with there being no cap given that this is a retro bike with limited body work and an exposed chassis/engine. Obviously this is why the aftermarket exists.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I noticed this last week on my 2021 Pure. Strangely there is a plastic cover on the other side on mine.
2018 Pure, same here and now I cannot stop obsessing on how this unfinished part has changed the way the bike looks (to me)
I sourced a plastic cap that has the same diameter and plan on using the center bolt to fasten it as a cover. (the other side has a plastic cover).
What does everyone think, will that compromise the integrity of the swing-arm?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Tried opening the center bolt, but it does not easily release after the first few turns, so I am holding back till I get a tech diagram of that component.
On the other hand since the caps are $40 a pair, may as well spring for the BMW caps rather than compromising the swing-arm.

·
Registered
2019 BMW RnineT
24 Posts
It is called a "swingarm pivot cover", or such like. Example of one option is linked below from Roland Sands Design, who incidentally provide similar covers for the handlebars, final drive pivot and rear axle if you'd like the matching set as it were. Some members have taken to fabricating their own versions.

BMW Billet Swingarm Pivot Cover Set Machined Roland Sands Design R1200GS/GSA K25 / R1200R / R NineT Pure/Scrambler/Racer/UrbanGS

For what its worth, I quite like them and the price has come down significantly since they were first introduced so its now a lot more reasonably priced.

View attachment 142628
Did you have any trouble installing these caps on your bike?

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
249 Posts
I did cover al those open bolts on a previous model bike I had. Problem is that it gathers a little bit of dust and water and can cause a little bit of surface corrosion on the nuts underneath. So I keep them open. After a wash I use a paint brush and all the metal bits are “painted” with a bit of multi purpose oil, a very thin one and thiis evaporates but leave a very thin oily residue. It protects all the little bits of open metal against surface corrosion and also helps protecting paint and metal. Bike looks shiny new for a long time.😁

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
215 Posts
Did you have any trouble installing these caps on your bike?
No trouble, installation is straight forward (mine didn’t come with instructions), though couple of steps to take care with:-
  • Removing the plastic cover on the left hand side of the bike can be a bit of a nuisance; I used a flat head screw driver and liberally applied tape around the surrounding area to avoid marking the paintwork when prying it free
  • When tightening the allan bolts that come with the caps, take care to install slowly and not over-tighten as the bolt heads are quite soft and shallow, making them easily prone to accidental stripping

Hope this helps; snap a few photos once you’ve installed them (y)

Reactions: TatsugaRai

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
699 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW RnineT
24 Posts
I picked up these covers at my local dealership today, and the installation went like a breeze. It was much easier than I anticipated. I didn't have any trouble removing the plastic cap on the left side. I could easily remove it with my fingernail. I also didn't have any issue removing the center bolt on the right side as well. Putting these covers on was extremely easy for a dummie like me. Here is a couple of pics after the installation:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts