BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front mudguard is very small. Lots of little rocks, salt (winter), mud, water etc hit in the lower front part of the engine. This zone after 45.000km I see is getting worse. To protect this zone there is front mudguard extension, but I am not sure if it protect as much as I wanted. Lower front part engine I think continue unprotected. In addition I dont´t want to put screws in the front mudguard. (Using only the glue rubber to stick I think is not enough).

In the other hand I saw skid plate of Hepcobecker. This solution I like much more.

My Skidplate is Bmw and I am thinking to make something similar.

I am not sure If I could achive it. But in the end, If I got it and satisfy me I will tell you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would get the Hepcobecker skiplate. You could also install thick clear vinyl used to protect cars from rock chips on the front engine cover.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get the Hepcobecker skiplate. You could also install thick clear vinyl used to protect cars from rock chips on the front engine cover.
Clear vinyl I like it. Problem is how bent at exact angle . Metal thin aluminum is easy to cut and bend. Thick vinyl I don't know how. Also heat of engine that's transmitted through skidplate could be a problem for vinyl?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you have a pic of the final product installed? I was thinking to rivet in a mudguard extension on top of the 3M tape

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cut the clear vinyl to the shape you want then use a heat gun or blow dryer to mold and attach the clear vinyl. Heat transmitted through the skid plate should not be a problem. A 3 ft. x 3 ft. sheet of clear vinyl should be pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,829 Posts
Clear vinyl I like it. Problem is how bent at exact angle . Metal thin aluminum is easy to cut and bend. Thick vinyl I don't know how. Also heat of engine that's transmitted through skidplate could be a problem for vinyl?
You are talking about thick rigid perspex/acrylic sheet.
@David37 mentioned the 3M stick-on vinyl as he has written is "used to protect cars from rock chips".
I have used it on a headlight and it sticks really well and doesn't chip as it has a rubbery texture.
You could stick this to the front plastic engine cover, not underneath the motor!

3M Scotchgard Series Paint Protection Film PPF

Reactions: Lelc2

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are talking about thick rigid perspex/acrylic sheet.
@David37 mentioned the 3M stick-on vinyl as he has written is "used to protect cars from rock chips".
I have used it on a headlight and it sticks really well and doesn't chip as it has a rubbery texture.
You could stick this to the front plastic engine cover, not underneath the motor!

3M Scotchgard Series Paint Protection Film PPF
Ohh. Sorry. My English is not very good. I misunderstood. Thanks for explaining. My intention is not only protect the plastic breastplate piece . I want to protect all lower zone. Even exhaust pipe (center piece behind front wheel). And heat is very intense for this vinyl.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is a ready-made solution for this issue.

Quote:

I had fitted the Cymarc crud catcher on my Pure after noticing road grit hit the exhaust cross-over pipe and the timing chest.
Had seen a pic of a bike with a fender extender, but with all due respect, it looked like a "beak" tacked on facing backward. IMHO, the Cymarc item offers better protection and aesthetics

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aluminum 0,5mm thick sheet. and rivets/riveter. I was thinking in nuts and screws but there is not so much space and I had to cut longer screws etc I think rivets is better. I suppouse this weekend I made the job.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I mistook with 0,5mm thick aluminum sheet. It is very thin and weak and probably will be shaking a lot. Final length and final shape I had to fit better. First of all I will test this one during some kilometers to see exactly wich zone is receiving impacts and dirty. Then probably I use this aluminum one to copy the final shape in thicker steel sheet? 1mm or 1,5mm...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well. This morning I could test. Definitely I had to improve and perfect spoiler. 0'5 mm aluminum very thin.

It was rocking and flappering all time while riding. Probably it get cracking in future Due to extructural fatigue?. At least I will use it during some kilometers to see exactly impact/dirty zone need to be protected .

Next will be 3mm thick steel sheet.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only to explain better what I am trying to avoid...

This is what happen when riding...

I am only 45.000km but one day probably I got this...Every little rock hitting after every kilometer, salt in winter, water, mud etc etc...So I prefer to protect zone now before get this:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Good point, I agree.
If I were to extend mine (the OEM plate like shown above) I'd want it to look like an extension of the original.... Which may not be doable without proper tools.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I mistook with 0,5mm thick aluminum sheet. It is very thin and weak and probably will be shaking a lot. Final length and final shape I had to fit better. First of all I will test this one during some kilometers to see exactly wich zone is receiving impacts and dirty. Then probably I use this aluminum one to copy the final shape in thicker steel sheet? 1mm or 1,5mm...

can i ask if the plate is original bmw? I ask because the realOEM site does not give me as an accessory for rNINET "classic" thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can i ask if the plate is original bmw? I ask because the realOEM site does not give me as an accessory for rNINET "classic" thanks!
Yes it is. At least until euro4. Try with Scrambler model. Accesories optionals. Here you are:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Lelc2 is correct; it is a BMW OEM skid plate, originally for a 1200GS. That's why you may find used GS ones on ebay for a fraction of the dealer price, but you have to look for GS skid plates – if you look for R9T skid plates you likely pay more. I attached two PDF files that guided me. Either mounting method should work as long as it's the Euro4 version, which was – surprise! – the same engine used in said (older) GS models.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lelc2 is correct; it is a BMW OEM skid plate, originally for a 1200GS. That's why you may find used GS ones on ebay for a fraction of the dealer price, but you have to look for GS skid plates – if you look for R9T skid plates you likely pay more. I attached two PDF files that guided me. Either mounting method should work as long as it's the Euro4 version, which was – surprise! – the same engine used in said (older) GS models.
the plate of the GS 1200, could it be good for a 2021 9T?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
From what I know it can't be any GS [pause, looking for my notes... would you believe I created a "Skid Plate" folder on my Mac, I was that confused by all the numbers] my notes say the same skid plate should fit

2004 – 2007 R1200 GS (which is what I got for my '17 Scrambler)​
also 2009 – 2013 R 1200 GS?​
??? – 2010 R1200 GSA (GS Adventure)​
R9T Scrambler (year?)​
R9T Urban GS (year?)​

No guarantee that my research was correct, the emphasis is on should - my understanding is that as long it comes from the Euro4 engine of those it ought to fit, but check with the two PDFs I posted, and new or used, make sure you have a return option in case it doesn't.

If anyone has corrections or additional info, would you please post? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts