BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Yep it's a good write up and pretty complimentary. Over £13K here now though and for me one of the reasons I brought my '15 R9T was that it didn't have a bunch of electrics associated with it, which this one now does. Happy to hang on to my original :)

· Premium Member
975 Posts
Yep same here.
I think its great that the 9T is carrying on but a big part of the attraction for me was it's uncluttered simplicity.
ABS and heated grips is enough for me.
As a long term bike I'm not interested in stuff that has the potential for big bills later on.
I had a water boxer with all the bells and whistles. Everything from Enduro Pro Offroad mode to keyless entry. What I didn't like about that bike was the lack of character and soul in the engine. If the 2021 line up in Canada had the Urban I would consider upgrading. The ability to use the Rain mode or Enduro Pro mode, the electronic cruise, the smart ABS that knows how far I am leaned over, etc.... all of those things worked really well on my water boxer. There are guys with well over 100,000 miles and lots of rough off road riding who have not had issues with their electronically loaded BMW's. You only hear about the few who have, and who spend way too much time making sure everyone else hears about it instead of getting it fixed and moving on with their lives.

· Banned
424 Posts
My feeling on modes?
We have the most sophisticated computer systems ever devised already on board.
It's called the human brain.
ABS is great because the circumstances leading up to an emergency stop scenario can happen in a split second.
However when it rains you normally have plenty of time to react.
Sometimes you may even be able to pull over and don waterproofs.
Then you simply moderate throttle openings according to the prevailing conditions.
Honestly if I have to press a button when it starts raining because I can't trust myself to back off the throttle, I'll know I'm a liability on the road and give it up.

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
398 Posts
Yep same here.
I think its great that the 9T is carrying on but a big part of the attraction for me was it's uncluttered simplicity.
ABS and heated grips is enough for me.
As a long term bike I'm not interested in stuff that has the potential for big bills later
. I like the cruise control option. Rest of bling not necessary.

· Administrator
13,848 Posts
If I were buying a R nineT now the only things that I'd really appreciate would be the cruise control and the tubeless wire wheels, the rest of the new bits I could take or leave. As it is I wouldn't trade my 2014 bike in for one, I've made it my own and it's here to stay.

· Banned
424 Posts
If I were buying a R nineT now the only things that I'd really appreciate would be the cruise control and the tubeless wire wheels, the rest of the new bits I could take or leave. As it is I wouldn't trade my 2014 bike in for one, I've made it my own and it's here to stay.
Yeah cruise control is good.
I've got it on my car though and unless I'm driving on the motorway late at night when there's little to no traffic I find it useless.

· Registered
Urban GS 2021
265 Posts
I had a water boxer with all the bells and whistles. Everything from Enduro Pro Offroad mode to keyless entry. What I didn't like about that bike was the lack of character and soul in the engine. If the 2021 line up in Canada had the Urban I would consider upgrading. The ability to use the Rain mode or Enduro Pro mode, the electronic cruise, the smart ABS that knows how far I am leaned over, etc.... all of those things worked really well on my water boxer. There are guys with well over 100,000 miles and lots of rough off road riding who have not had issues with their electronically loaded BMW's. You only hear about the few who have, and who spend way too much time making sure everyone else hears about it instead of getting it fixed an moving on with their lives.
Today I special ordered a 2021 Urban GS in Montreal. They are not coming in as stock but your dealer CAN order one and it seems they are very limited in numbers. Order was confirmed and approved by BMW Canada. Just a new bit of information in case it helps-

· Banned
424 Posts
Cruise control on an R9T ? imo goes against the character of the bike, like adding Coca Cola to your glass of wine. Seriously I feel that if I wanted cruise control on a bike , I wouldn't be on an r9t in the first place, there are other bikes that may be better suited to keep that rider happy.:unsure:
The only advantage I can see with cruise control on a bike is being able to take your hand off the throttle from time to time to get the blood flowing.
Other than that what's the point.
A throttle lock system will do just as well.

· Registered
712 Posts
Cruise control on an R9T ? imo goes against the character of the bike, like adding Coca Cola to your glass of wine. Seriously I feel that if I wanted cruise control on a bike , I wouldn't be on an r9t in the first place, there are other bikes that may be better suited to keep that rider happy.:unsure:
How does cruise control detract from the bike?

This notion that bikes have to fit neatly in niches and that the addition of something as innocuous as cruise control somehow changes the character of the bike is, from my point of view, bizarre. My bike spends most of its days within an hour’s ride of home, but from time to time I’ll disappear for an all day ride that inevitably includes some high speed droning to get to and from the delicious places.

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
398 Posts
Cruise control, asc abs are all features to make the ride safer and assist the rider. Control of a bike and common sense and sensible safe riding remains the responsibility of the rider. On a long flat road you switch on cruise control and you maintain a safe speed. Your hand and wrist get a break and make sure your speed remains within limits. In city riding circumstance will dictate. ABS and ASC will then be the features making your ride safer. Some us will want above features others not. I like my bike as is, can ride a 1980 Vespa with same amount of joy as the R1 or even a Ktm. As long as it is two wheels well and maintained, I can be happy. Extra features, well it is a bonus, sometimes necassary but the lack of does not make a difference to the fun I am having. Looking forward to the new bikes and if the crowd is happy will ensure that the boxer air cooled engine will remain with us for a long time. Remember guys, this is an end to an era. The electric bikes are coming. Enjoy your fossil fuel burners. No good for environment but more soul than electric.

· Premium Member
570 Posts
Nice upgrade and the bike is safe in production for a few more years.

As for the electronic stuff, you can/should be able to turn it off.

My Pure is just that. The only gizmo I have and appreciate is the ABS, and I can't turn that off so no worries.

All the electrics do is make the bike more attractive to younger riders without as much experience as those of us into our, er, later years...

...and that's a good thing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.