BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pandemic life:
Even though I’m putting fewer miles per year on this bike than I used to in most any week on other bikes in a previous life, I can’t stop buying things for this machine. I’m constantly on the hunt for a deal to address some ‘need’ that is decidedly only a want. Some discretionary income plus grinding tedium equals irresponsible therapy.

The current wait? A ‘new’ (aka lightly used) wunderlich saddle and some BMW saddlebags. That’s more than enough and they’re coming in the next few days. But you know I’ve got tabs open for other bits and pieces. Maybe these purchase will fill the hole made by this blurred monotony. It’s possible? Right? I told my wife that I’m nearly done buying crap for the bike and myself, but who am I kidding. Not her. She laughed. There’s always something else.

Hi. My name is Scott. And I like motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
111 Posts
Pandemic life:
Even though I’m putting fewer miles per year on this bike than I used to do in most any week in a previous life, I can’t stop buying things for it. I’m constantly on the hunt for a deal to address some ‘need’ that is decidedly only a want. Some discretionary income plus grinding tedium equals irresponsible therapy.

The current wait? A ‘new’ (aka lightly used) wunderlich saddle and some BMW saddlebags. That’s more than enough and they’re coming in the next few days. But you know I’ve got tabs open for other bits and pieces. Maybe these purchase will fill the hole made by this blurred monotony. It’s possible? Right? I told my wife that I’m nearly done buying crap for the bike and myself, but who am I kidding. Not her. She laughed. There’s always something else.

Hi. My name is Scott. And I like motorcycles.
When I bought the R NineT the BMW Motorrad salesperson told me that the number of accessories you can buy are limited only by the size of your wallet rather than your imagination. Wise words! Similar to you, I have several tabs at the ready with potential purchases to pay homage to my bike. On a more serious note, this forum has been a great repository for finding evaluations, photos and reviews of these products which makes it an invaluable resource. That being said, seeing how well upgraded some of the R NineTs on here are, it also makes it a source of temptation...

·
Registered
107 Posts
2020 will qualify as one of my lowest ever mileage claims - but like yourselves 'The Plague' hasn't stopped me spending cash on bike-related purchases. Been some good deals to be found out there and the internet has helped both inform and implement the sales process. However, I'm also getting fed up with many of the brands that claim to innovate and deliver quality (read expensive) products that turn out to be thoroughly average in terms of performance. For example, how many of you have bought accessories that turn out to be rather disappointing?

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
For example, how many of you have bought accessories that turn out to be rather disappointing?
That sounds like you should be starting a new topic on this aspect, I'm sure it could be pretty popular! ;)

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Of all the things I have bought,(there have been quite a few) only one has disappointed, and I didn't pay much for that.

·
Registered
2019 RnineT
38 Posts
I find that I obsessively focus on getting a new bike “dialed in” for my needs/wants, but once there am able to stop. Riding takes over as the focus until a year or two down the road another vixen catches my eye and a new transition plan is hatched.

Problem is, the transition part has become a weakness as there are now three bikes in the garage with barely enough time to enjoy one. It’s getting harder to part with any of them.

·
Premium Member
2017 Classic
76 Posts
I have succumb to an - Evotech tail tidy, Evotech exhaust hanger (sub frame removal) and a Competition Werkes black slip on exhaust.

Please help me!

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
10 Posts
I told my wife that I’m nearly done buying crap for the bike and myself, but who am I kidding. Not her. She laughed. There’s always something else.
Hahaha this is so painfully recognizable, could have written this myself. Hang on in there, and keep the new crap coming in 😂👍🏼

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
I have succumb to an - Evotech tail tidy, Evotech exhaust hanger (sub frame removal) and a Competition Werkes black slip on exhaust.

Please help me!
Too late....you're on the slippery slope now... ;)

Reactions: Uncle Meat

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't mention Cabin Fever! At 18.00 hrs we enter a period of 3 weeks 'house arrest'. Who knows what accessories (toys) I might end up purchasing online at 02;45 after a glass or two of booze? My nearest BMW dealer is in a different county - so riding over to peruse non-essential Christmas baubles is now illegal. By Christmas I might have spent all my disposable cash online in an orgy of consumerism.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Please help me!
If it helps you feel better - I will grant you absolution and light a candle - we are all weak in the face of temptation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sounds like you should be starting a new topic on this aspect, I'm sure it could be pretty popular! ;)
I'm struggling not to start a new topic - I had been watching that You Tuber chap Royal Jordanian show all the expensive gloves he had bought to keep his hands warm and dry - almost all of them failed his basic expectations. Yesterday I went out on the R9T and was mightily glad of the heated grips - but still hacked off with the poor thermal properties of my expensive Dainese gloves.

·
Registered
2019 R Nine T Pure
74 Posts
Guilty as charged ... very very guilty

After buying Arrow Headers, Nitron R1 rear shock, Rapid Evo , new Helmet ...
I added a BMW R1250GS Adventure ... then Luggage, Nav, Rallye Jacket, Heated gear ....

Spending most of my time on Motorycles these days ...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,416 Posts
I always think that there's nothing else I need for this bike, and like mentioned above, I'm tempted by this forum and YouTube, etc.

Recent pandemic purchases are a Wunderlisch Wunderbob rear fender (thanks @Error Flynn ), and a Nitron R1 HPA. these items are due to arrive during a mandatory 2 week work PTO shutdown due to covid related circumstances. At least I can keep myself occupied with installation of these Christmas gifts to myself.

Well, that's it, no more spending for me.

PS: thanks to all the contributors to the Nitron thread. (@nervous @318 @Surfingdad @Derekbra @alvitdk @Aeronb @CerealOwner @rickc007 et al )

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
400 Posts
Hi, Scott. Thanks for sharing. ;)

I've had the opposite experience. I work a full-time Mon-Fri professional job, and I'm a musician on the side. I'm usually a very busy musician (trumpet player), with a gig or rehearsal most weeks, and gigs most weekends. When everything shut down in March, most of my gigs were canceled, and of course all rehearsals, too. Add to this my wife and our younger son were in Florida from April through July to help out my parents, who were having some health issues, and I had more free time this year than I've had in the last decade. So I had plenty of time to ride. The shutdowns here were not like elsewhere in the world. We still had freedom of movement in most states, so I could still go ride most weekends. Not to brag, but it's been my best riding year ever in terms of mileage, topping my previous high, which I think was way back in 2010.

As for farkles, I started researching mods before I even bought my R9T Pure in late August. And I haven't stopped. I've steadily been making a list of which mods I want to do, and writing down options, sources, and prices for those options. My plan all along has been to buy the mods this fall and install them over the winter months so I: A) have something to do, and B) get to spend time with my new bike even when it's too cold or snowy to ride it. Thankfully, I'll be able to do most of the mods myself, too, though I'll probably need help with the suspension mods.

Sadly, I don't have the discretionary income I'd normally have, since I have very few gigs to play. I've "lost" literally thousands of dollars of income this year. It's not really lost, but more like "didn't make." Anyway, that's the trade-off of having more free time: less money from performing music. But thankfully, I sold my VFR, which will provide some of the money for my mods, plus some other money set aside just for the purpose of making my Pure what I want and need it to be as my only motorcycle. And since my riding season is just about over, the mods begin soon! :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I always think that there's nothing else I need for this bike, and like mentioned above, I'm tempted by this forum and YouTube, etc.

Recent pandemic purchases are a Wunderlisch Wunderbob rear fender (thanks @Error Flynn ), and a Nitron R1 HPA. these items are due to arrive during a mandatory 2 week work PTO shutdown due to covid related circumstances. At least I can keep myself occupied with installation of these Christmas gifts to myself.

Well, that's it, no more spending for me.

PS: thanks to all the contributors to the Nitron thread. (@nervous @318 @Surfingdad @Derekbra @alvitdk @Aeronb @CerealOwner @rickc007 et al )
wait...from your list you have omitted the DK Design meter!
:)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,416 Posts
wait...from your list you have omitted the DK Design meter!
:)
Ha!

I like the twin analog dials that I currently have. (I do reserve the right to change my mind in the near future, however.) ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, Scott. Thanks for sharing. ;)

I've had the opposite experience. I work a full-time Mon-Fri professional job, and I'm a musician on the side. I'm usually a very busy musician (trumpet player), with a gig or rehearsal most weeks, and gigs most weekends. When everything shut down in March, most of my gigs were canceled, and of course all rehearsals.
Up till 2006 I was a professional musician myself
Trombone
I often wonder what players are doing now.
There was an article in the paper recently covering just that.
They featured five full time professional orchestral players who had full diaries until all their work was cancelled in March.
All of them had gone into alternative employment ranging from night work at tesco doing online shopping orders to building. Only one of them was able to earn similar money to his musical income doing takeaway curries, which he was having great success with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts