BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I searched the forum but did not see any result showing anyone done this before. I have a Wunderlich screen on my UGS so far, I would like to have this MRA clip-on added in order to have a taller screen. In the past, I tried the clip-on from ebay, but I think it was not good-looking. So if anyone tried this in the past or anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had one on an R12GS that I loved. Worked beautifully. But on the R9T would be interesting unless you have a larger screen already fitted.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is my take on it. I Installed the small wing on my main windshield because the windshield was about 6” to low to block the wind at high speed and I realized that anything over 100 mph would warp the plexiglass. I ride at 100 or better very often so I decided to fabricate some supports. Using the backplate that holds the wing on the main screen, I fabricated a bracket, installed a steel rod that rested in the cup where my stock mirrors used to sit and it worked quite well. I put a small rubber plug in the mirror nut so they wouldn’t vibrate or rattle and I’m quite satisfied with the result. I had my moto up to a speedo reading of 135 and I’m sure I was actually traveling maybe 120 or a bit more and I was sitting straight up with no blast on me or the top of my helmet. My problem had been cured. I’ll post a couple of picks now and if you’d like a closer look I take some close ups tomorrow. Hope this helps in your quest. StayUpOn2 Cheers Blitz

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hello,

I searched the forum but did not see any result showing anyone done this before. I have a Wunderlich screen on my UGS so far, I would like to have this MRA clip-on added in order to have a taller screen. In the past, I tried the clip-on from ebay, but I think it was not good-looking. So if anyone tried this in the past or anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.
View attachment 129260
Here’s one pict that’s shows the bracket I fabricated from some small brass angle. The brass tube in which I slipped the steel rod was obtained at a toy store and was then soldered together with the modified brass angle. The brass angle was shaped to replace the plastic back plate that came with the wing. There brass so you can powder coat or chrome plate them, they won’t rust. The steel rods were slipped into shrink tubing heated and installed. It’s a bit rigged but it works for me. The whole set up is rock steady at 100+ and no buffeting or stiff neck on long rides. I couldn’t be more pleased. Have at it. Blitz

·
Registered
644 Posts
Man that windshield looks great. And I love the exhaust system too. You must ride in some really cold weather. For that I do not envy you. I’m a lizard, give me a flat rock in the sun. Nice job out fitting that motorcycle. Glad I’m not the only one that thinks 9T is a good touring bike. StayUpOn2 Blitz

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s one pict that’s shows the bracket I fabricated from some small brass angle. The brass tube in which I slipped the steel rod was obtained at a toy store and was then soldered together with the modified brass angle. The brass angle was shaped to replace the plastic back plate that came with the wing. There brass so you can powder coat or chrome plate them, they won’t rust. The steel rods were slipped into shrink tubing heated and installed. It’s a bit rigged but it works for me. The whole set up is rock steady at 100+ and no buffeting or stiff neck on long rides. I couldn’t be more pleased. Have at it. Blitz

View attachment 129274
impressive

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
BlitzSchnell, yes I ride all winter long in the Midwest. We have our cold days but I don't go out anymore under about 25 degrees. Used to though, but eyesight not so great anymore looking for black ice. I do use my turban for touring though. Bought it last September and have completed one run up to Marquette Michigan, and one week ride through the great state of Arkansas. Have several 2000 to 5000 mile trips on the planning board for 2020 starting soon. Great bike for what I use it for and absolutely capable of backcountry gravel and forest roads. But anything resembling true off road single track I'm too old for anymore. I'd get a different bike for that type of riding is so inclined. Plan on making the national rally in Montana this year too.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I’m a native Texan and although I’ve visited many states north of me I’ve never lived for long in any of them. Winter is not my friend. I don't ride if it’s below 50 so your excursions for me might as well be in Alaska. I don’t ride in the rain if I can help it either. Our wind screens are ideal for blocking cold wind and water at higher speeds. I’m so pleased my neck and shoulders have stopped aching. Extended periods of riding were wearing me out so quickly from fighting the wind. No more. I’ve spent 10 hours UpOn2 many times now. I love my screen. I was surprised at how little it seems to effect performance. Keep warm Weschmann. I really like your bike. Cheers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here’s my take on a touring screen screen for the Urban. I’ve a long tip coming up and fancied a bit more protection. I have a Wunderlich short screen normally so just unscrewed the screen leaving the brackets in place and fitted this one. It came with the support arms. It was only £27 ($30) delivered so well pleased. The Wunderlich screen will go back on when it warms back up here in the U.K.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I use the Givi Airflow screen which does the whole job very well and is adjustable to boot. I just needed to source some wider jubilee clips. I use the Wunderlich hand shields too which keep my hands nicely protected from the elements.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here’s my take on a touring screen screen for the Urban. I’ve a long tip coming up and fancied a bit more protection. I have a Wunderlich short screen normally so just unscrewed the screen leaving the brackets in place and fitted this one. It came with the support arms. It was only £27 ($30) delivered so well pleased. The Wunderlich screen will go back on when it warms back up here in the U.K.
What brand windscreen is that? Do you mind sharing what model and where you purchased it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts